Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenage parenting book

may tulip

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 8:04 am
Hi,
Now during this yom tov season and while my 4 teenagers are home more (both girls and boys) I'm looking on ways how to learn to deal with my kids more effectively, positively. It has been tough recently especially with a newborn and I find myself lashing out negatively and counter productive. I need help from parent trainers/ books / speakers etc. P.s. I'm not interested in some of those paid workshops over the phone now and prefer heimish hashkafa, our dynamics are so different than secular families.
Please list from first hand experience if you can

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 8:20 am
Two books that I love, "Parenting Teens with Love and Logic" and "Narrative Therapy - Playful Approaches to Serious Problems".

Both of them separate the child from the problem, and then you and the child can brainstorm on how to handle the problem, as if the problem were a common "enemy".

For example, if a child is doing something that is triggering your temper, you can say "Shmuely, this problem is taking all the fun out of the house. How can we get this problem to go away, so we can enjoy your visit?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children