Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Can't fast, feeling guilty!
Previous  1  2

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 11:30 pm
Just came out of severe dehydration from borderline HG pregnancy. I was severely dehydrated, my vital signs were unstable for over a week. I got 2 viral infection and a bacterial infection because my immune system was shot from having nothing in my body. It has taken me 4-6 weeks to recover from all of this. I was basically living off IV. I'm just about starting to get back to myself. Still weak and still not eating well. But definitely doing better bh.
My husband will be speaking to a Rav tomorrow but I know they won't let me fast. I'm not sure if they'll advise Shiurim or Shiurim plus IV but I'm already feeling guilty.
Thanks for bumping up this thread, it'll probably do my conscience good to read it.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:21 am
Pikuach nefesh. What’s the question?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:31 am
The Chachomim said, "If Hashem wanted us to chop wood, it would be a mitzvah to chop wood."

The same Hashem Who gives you a mitzvah to fast, is this time giving you the mitzvah to eat.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:47 pm
I just got a heter to drink shiurim. I could have gotten a heter for food also but didn't feel like I needed it. I "think" I was honest and realistic with the Rav but I never know.

I told him afterward that on the one hand, I really wanted this heter but on the other hand, I really didn't want it.

He said "If I may be clear: You are mechuyav to drink. Does that help?"

DallasIma

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:53 pm
I'm thinking about that story (I might have some of the details wrong) about 2 frum guys who were held in a jail cell with only a bucket for waste there. One of them was lamenting that he couldn't study Torah because you're not supposed to do that where there is waste. The other one said, "It's our mitzvah now to NOT study Torah," and then they both started dancing happily. The guard thought they were insane and he ended up taking out the waste bucket, and then the 2 men started learning Torah and dancing happily about that!

So the relevance to this thread is, if you've been told by a Rav not to fast, then eat, drink, and enjoy!

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:56 pm
DallasIma wrote:
I'm thinking about that story (I might have some of the details wrong) about 2 frum guys who were held in a jail cell with only a bucket for waste there. One of them was lamenting that he couldn't study Torah because you're not supposed to do that where there is waste. The other one said, "It's our mitzvah now to NOT study Torah," and then they both started dancing happily. The guard thought they were insane and he ended up taking out the waste bucket, and then the 2 men started learning Torah and dancing happily about that!

So the relevance to this thread is, if you've been told by a Rav not to fast, then eat, drink, and enjoy!

I think it was Reb Zushe and Reb Elimelech

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 7:59 pm
I don’t feel guilt. I feel anger.

Without health, is there community? Spirituality? Can we serve Hashem without health? Be part of the Jewish nation?

No.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 8:19 pm
My husband feels anger too. He works hard for a living and finds that when he pushes himself to daven with a minyan, he ends up run down and getting sick. He keeps asking me “what does Hashem want me to do?”

Meanwhile he is (obviously) embarrassed to speak to his rav about this, and he feels terrible about it, so it’s really a no-good situation.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 8:19 pm
Think of it this way: Everytime there's a bris on shabos or yom tov, the mohel is publicly being mechalel shabos, yet they do it happily because that's what the Torah wants. This is the same thing: u have a mitzvah to eat, not fast

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 6:29 pm
And when the Jews of Spain were expelled on Tisha B’Av, their rabbinic authorities ordered the musicians to play music to raise the people’s spirits. Yes, on Tisha B’Av.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:08 pm
it's a normal feeling. don't feel bad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur