Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Baby growing out of the doona!!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:36 pm
my baby is just over 3 months and is just about 12 lbs and she is totally growing out of the doona. she fits perfect now, but I cant imagine she will fit in another month...how does that happen so fast???
what do all of you out there do???

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:40 pm
Babies outgrow car seats depending on their weight or height. For the doona it's 35 lbs or 32". Legs hanging out doesn't mean it's outgrown. It's extremely unlikely that your three month old will reach those limits very soon.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:41 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Babies outgrow car seats depending on their weight or height. For the doona it's 35 lbs or 32". Legs hanging out doesn't mean it's outgrown. It's extremely unlikely that your three month old will reach those limits very soon.

dangling legs is normal??? why would that be comfy for poor baby?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:43 pm
It’s not. Hence no Doona for me:) I really don’t get ppl who use it as a stroller. My baby loves his bassinet and it’s so much healthier!

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:43 pm
Have you removed the newborn insert? that makes a big difference?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
dangling legs is normal??? why would that be comfy for poor baby?

It's a car seat, and in the car they don't dangle. I don't see how it's comfortable as a stroller altogether. All my babies hated that position.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my baby is just over 3 months and is just about 12 lbs and she is totally growing out of the doona. she fits perfect now, but I cant imagine she will fit in another month...how does that happen so fast???
what do all of you out there do???

Not get the Doona.
Seriously though, it's notorious for being a waste of money since kids often outgrow it faster than other car seats and strollers, especially when you can get one of each that will last through all your child's needs (adjustable car seat + any regular stroller that lasts from infancy through toddlerhood). But somewhere along the line the Doona became the next hot accessory and personally I just don't get it.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:50 pm
This is one of the reasons I didn't get a doona. People get it for style without even looking into it. It's designed as such so the baby looks outgrown in it by 4 months. It's a total waste of money.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:54 pm
Op- my now 5 year old out grew her maxi cosi at 4 or 5 months old. People thought I was lying but her legs hung out. Its funny to see even now shes tall and most of her height is in her legs. I ended up storing the car seat (and snap and go) and getting a reversible car seat that went rear facing in recline and was able to be turned forward facing and used till 2 years old+. And I got a city lite for the trunk (version of the city mini) the whole car seat was a huge waste Sad oh well. You live and you learn. Especially with baby gear - sometimes the trendier the dumber..

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:59 pm
Idk, I bought the Doona before it was cool, and my first was tiny so he outgrew out it in stage (refused to sit backward) before size - we were using it well past one year with the head insert!! This baby is 2 months and outgrowing the insert and will probably (sadly) outgrow either weight or length before 6 months. I need it for its capability, not as a stroller, so hopefully baby will stay in it long enough for it to remain useful ie able to sleep thru going in and out.

esther36

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:06 pm
I had a Graco that my baby outgrew at 5 months. He was quite tall and big. So it's not just doonas that babies outgrow....

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:17 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Not get the Doona.
Seriously though, it's notorious for being a waste of money since kids often outgrow it faster than other car seats and strollers, especially when you can get one of each that will last through all your child's needs (adjustable car seat + any regular stroller that lasts from infancy through toddlerhood). But somewhere along the line the Doona became the next hot accessory and personally I just don't get it.

Agreed!
I work in Williamsburg and every other person is pushing a Doona! Not only don’t they own cars so there is no need for the convenience factor of the doona, they push it as a regular stroller! It’s so awful for the baby... so low... and bigger babies like to see the world!
I also feel like babies look like they outgrow the doona faster than other car seats. But On the other hand most people don’t push their babies in car seats pass a certain stage (think 4/5 months). They put their babies into regular strollers...

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:18 pm
The doona is designed differently than a regular car seat and most babies legs dangle out by 4/5 months. It looks awful BUT it's not meant to be used as a stroller. I feel so bad for these big babies nebach that at 6 months and up want to sit in a normal stroller and see the street but they're forced into the doona in a most stupid awkward uncomfortable position for the sake of mom being in style.
I can not for the life of mine understand why so many Williamsburg and Boro park people have a doona, they don't even have a car!

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:22 pm
esther36 wrote:
I had a Graco that my baby outgrew at 5 months. He was quite tall and big. So it's not just doonas that babies outgrow....

He would have to be off the charts to truly outgrow a car seat at that age.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:23 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Agreed!
I work in Williamsburg and every other person is pushing a Doona! Not only don’t they own cars so there is no need for the convenience factor of the doona, they push it as a regular stroller! It’s so awful for the baby... so low... and bigger babies like to see the world!
I also feel like babies look like they outgrow the doona faster than other car seats. But On the other hand most people don’t push their babies in car seats pass a certain stage (think 4/5 months). They put their babies into regular strollers...

It actually makes the most sense for people who don't drive because they use taxis and need a car seat on them.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:24 pm
Amother bronze, no one in Williamsburg or Boro park uses taxi to get around. They walk everywhere. They use it as a regular stroller because it's "in".

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:31 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
It actually makes the most sense for people who don't drive because they use taxis and need a car seat on them.

Until the doona came out Nobody used car seats. Even newborns were held in taxis. Or they used ancient car seats I used when I was little
It’s a fashion statement

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:33 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Until the doona came out Nobody used car seats. Even newborns were held in taxis. Or they used ancient car seats I used when I was little
It’s a fashion statement

Better a fashion statement than a dead baby chvs. Which is what happens when a baby isn't strapped in and there's a bad crash.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:38 pm
Again amother bronze, the ladies in Williamsburg use it as a regular stroller because it's in style and they MUST have it. No one uses taxi's, they walk everywhere and get to the city by subway.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:58 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Again amother bronze, the ladies in Williamsburg use it as a regular stroller because it's in style and they MUST have it. No one uses taxi's, they walk everywhere and get to the city by subway.

Really, no one ever had appointments that aren't in walking distance? No one wants or needs to go anywhere with an infant and doesn't want to use the subway? No women in Williamsburg travel by car?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics