Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Baby growing out of the doona!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:02 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Really, no one ever had appointments that aren't in walking distance? No one wants or needs to go anywhere with an infant and doesn't want to use the subway? No women in Williamsburg travel by car?

I asked one why they thought it was ok to order the unregulated fake from Ali- ‘I never go in a car anyways’. Mind. Blown.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:10 pm
It’s a fantastic stroller even if you’re not in and out of the car all the time. It’s great in the house for a newborn. Easy to take the baby with you wherever you go. Even if one doesn’t drive, doesn’t mean they are never in a car.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:22 pm
I have a doona
I don’t live in Williamsburg lol
I love it! My back used to kill kill kill when I shleped my gracobfrom yeh car to the house, to the babysitter up the stairs etc. that why I splurged bec I remember the agony of my back and shoulders.
Now I just pop Out the wheels and push it to my door.
Also know ur babies. Mine are small. My baby is ten months and no where near outgrowing the doona! (14.5 pounds) My baby actually really loves it! I also have a reg stroller that I started using too now that the baby is getting older, but the doona is and has been amazing for me.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:26 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
It’s a fantastic stroller even if you’re not in and out of the car all the time. It’s great in the house for a newborn. Easy to take the baby with you wherever you go. Even if one doesn’t drive, doesn’t mean they are never in a car.

This is what I don’t get. IT IS NOT A GOOD POSITION FOR A NEWBORN. At all. (Not meant as yelling. Just to lazy to change back to bold. Sorry)

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:40 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
It actually makes the most sense for people who don't drive because they use taxis and need a car seat on them.

You don’t need a car seat in a taxi. I always held my babies in my arms and I use plenty of taxis . And no I Don’t own a doona

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
You don’t need a car seat in a taxi. I always held my babies in my arms and I use plenty of taxis . And no I Don’t own a doona

Yeah, so because you did it it's a safe thing to do? You're lucky you weren't in a bad accident.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:52 pm
I’m due soon and plan on getting a Doona. I take my older child to therapy 3x a week and will be using car services often (Uber/Juno). It is really hard getting into a car service with a 4 year old and diaper bag while trying to fold the carriage (even an easy one) while holding the baby with one hand.

It is so difficult that I tried very hard not to take a car service with my older kids. Even when my husband is with me and driving us, the regular car seats are very heavy and difficult to carry.

Regarding public transportation: it’s also nearly impossible to travel with kids, plus a baby while folding and holding the carriage one handed. There’s a reason people get the Doona.

The Doona isn’t for everyone. You need to know if it will be useful in your situation. And if you have very big babies.

*I’m amazed how some posters are adamant that BP and Williamsburg woman don’t need it because they don’t drive. What about getting on a city bus? Car service?! How can you speak for everyone? Do you know how many thousands of woman live there? Do you think we’re all exactly the same? The prejudice is astounding.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:14 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

*I’m amazed how some posters are adamant that BP and Williamsburg woman don’t need it because they don’t drive. What about getting on a city bus? Car service?! How can you speak for everyone? Do you know how many thousands of woman live there? Do you think we’re all exactly the same? The prejudice is astounding.

This.

I don't live in Williamsburg anymore.
But even if I had, and I would have been able to afford it if get one.
Dh had a car when we lived in Williamsburg. Amd I felt so mean taking my then baby out if her car seat to transfer to the stroller every time we went out.
Later we bought an adapter for her stroller to click on her Graco car seat.
That was awsome.
Problem is, now with baby#3 the adapter broke..... and it's a HUGE shlep going with stroller and car seat. Then I leave the car seat in a hidden corner and pray it's still there when it's time to go home......
So yeah, had I had the extra 500 or 600 bucks if definitely get one.

Even thought at 4 months my baby has probably outgrown it.... (very long baby)

Back to the doona, other than one person I know with tiny kids, all babies outgrow it by 8 months or so....
A doona is only for newborns. I'm afraid its time for you to get another stroller.....

esther36

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:15 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I have a doona
I don’t live in Williamsburg lol
I love it! My back used to kill kill kill when I shleped my gracobfrom yeh car to the house, to the babysitter up the stairs etc. that why I splurged bec I remember the agony of my back and shoulders.
Now I just pop Out the wheels and push it to my door.
Also know ur babies. Mine are small. My baby is ten months and no where near outgrowing the doona! (14.5 pounds) My baby actually really loves it! I also have a reg stroller that I started using too now that the baby is getting older, but the doona is and has been amazing for me.

Same here!!! My constant back aches were the reason I got a doona now! It's the best invention ever!!

rising hero

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:20 pm
esther36 wrote:
Same here!!! My constant back aches were the reason I got a doona now! It's the best invention ever!!

Why is it better than the graco snap n go? The doona is heavier than a regular car seat and the graco is way cheaper.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:23 pm
I live in Williamsburg and I plan to get the doona for my baby iyh after it arrives, my husband does have a car. Which we travel in very often so for me it’s a plus. And we will definitely use it in the car. Plus, for other travel related things like taxis and public transit. But I agree that it’s not meant as a stroller for more than 2 hours approximately, for that I’m getting a regular stroller so baby has a safe laying position instead of being scrunched up for so long.
I wud never spend this price tag if I had a car seat or travel stroller, I have neither so it’s worth it.
And please don’t generalize an entire community, many have husbands who do have cars and enjoy the doona as it’s meant to be-a car seat

esther36

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:24 pm
Madam F. wrote:
Why is it better than the graco snap n go? The doona is heavier than a regular car seat and the graco is way cheaper.

I got rid of the Graco because the Graco 35 was so heavy even without the baby in it and I inevitably ended up carrying it on my arm for quick in and out of places and it was a tremendous strain on my weak back. With the doona there's no shlepping at all! I just lift it up into the car and lift it out of the car and pop the wheels out instantly! I never carry it!

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 11:28 pm
Is your child 32 inches long? That is the maximum length for the doona. Most children do not reach that height until about a year or longer. I would be very surprised if your baby is too tall for the doona. My baby actually prefers her doona to her city mini stroller. I don’t get it but she loves being in it.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 12:24 am
My baby is 7months and 20lbs...still using the doona and I am so happy with my purchase! I do feel by 1 year of age I will need to get a convertible one but that was the case with the rest of my kids as well...

teachkids

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 4:47 am

You should not be leaving a newborn in a carseat any longer than necessary in the house

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 6:50 am

Let's not get carried away. It's not a fantastic stroller. AT BEST, it's a cool concept.

For $500, your getting a mediocre carseat and a meh stroller.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 6:58 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Until the doona came out Nobody used car seats. Even newborns were held in taxis. Or they used ancient car seats I used when I was little
It’s a fashion statement

What are you talking about? Car seats that fit inside strollers have been around for at least 20 years. (age of my oldest). I lived in NY with no car and used taxis or got rides occasionally and my graco travel system was perfect. Most decent strollers let you attach a carseat.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:02 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
This.

I don't live in Williamsburg anymore.
But even if I had, and I would have been able to afford it if get one.
Dh had a car when we lived in Williamsburg. Amd I felt so mean taking my then baby out if her car seat to transfer to the stroller every time we went out.
Later we bought an adapter for her stroller to click on her Graco car seat.
That was awsome.
Problem is, now with baby#3 the adapter broke..... and it's a HUGE shlep going with stroller and car seat. Then I leave the car seat in a hidden corner and pray it's still there when it's time to go home......
So yeah, had I had the extra 500 or 600 bucks if definitely get one.

Even thought at 4 months my baby has probably outgrown it.... (very long baby)

Back to the doona, other than one person I know with tiny kids, all babies outgrow it by 8 months or so....
A doona is only for newborns. I'm afraid its time for you to get another stroller.....

a new adaptor would be cheaper then a doona. Just saying.

I've seen people using a doona still for babies way over a year. Once they get used to, its probably hard to stop. Now, if someone would invent the same concept with a toddler car seat (or a car seat that you can use from infancy until toddlerhood), that would be a genius.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:57 am
Raisin wrote:
What are you talking about? Car seats that fit inside strollers have been around for at least 20 years. (age of my oldest). I lived in NY with no car and used taxis or got rides occasionally and my graco travel system was perfect. Most decent strollers let you attach a carseat.

I was referring to the ladies of Williamsburg.
They all had bugaboos but borrowed old car seats to take baby home from hospital. Nobody used a car seat on a steady basis. Think a snapngo to walk down lee avenue on errands. Now, every other person is pushing a doona. Am I really supposed to believe it’s because of safety? No. It’s becsuse they must have a doona as it’s the latest thing. No need to have a $500 car seat to take with you on errands or to wait at bus stop. Especially when you don’t even have a car! For their needs a regular stroller is much better for baby...

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:07 am
The Williamsburg ladies wouldn't be caught dead pushing a snap n go or a travel system chas veshalom. So don't tell me they suddenly care about safety after all these years of not having a car seat. They care about making a fashion statement and being in style.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics