Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's your design aesthetic?
1  2  Next

israelimom

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 1:46 pm
On another thread, a poster was looking for an interior designer who understood her taste, which she described as 5-towns/brooklyn. I was really curious as to what that meant, and she explained that to her that meant more "formal decor." Got me thinking about what appeals most to me (I think more casual and "lived-in/comfortable," more rustic than formal). What's your aesthetic happy place?

MiriFr

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 1:59 pm
Mid century modern + minimalist

trixx

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:15 pm
Not the traditional formal wood but it's taken me a bunch of years to realize that. I'm much happier cleaner and modern and chic

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:16 pm
I thought you meant dress wise! Boho chic.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:34 pm
Minimalist, sleek, modern, geometric

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:37 pm
Transitional/Eclectic- some older, classic pieces and some less formal/more unexpected pieces mixed together for a "collated over time" look. Works for me!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:40 pm
DrMom wrote:

Same with the wow factor.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:40 pm
DrMom wrote:

Same with the wow factor.

Spaghetti7

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:41 pm
I'm all about wiggly lines.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:43 pm
MiriFr wrote:
Mid century modern + minimalist

We have a lot of MCM—because it’s stuff we brought from our ancestral homes. In less hifalutin’ terms, it’s “early in-laws”.

I’m partial to very simple but functional (preferably multifunctional with concealed storage) furniture, and for the most practical reasons: The less ongepatchked, the fewer surfaces for dust to settle on. The more functionality, the fewer items you need. The fewer items, the more space you have to walk around. And concealed storage because nobody needs to see all my stuff.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:44 pm
Natural, rustic touches, warm, cozy, natural materials, some vintage.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:46 pm
I enjoy many different styles from modern to very old. I will always put FAMILY STUFF above all the trend

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:13 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Transitional/Eclectic- some older, classic pieces and some less formal/more unexpected pieces mixed together for a "collated over time" look. Works for me!

Hmm. Sounds like a fancy way of saying “some old stuff from my parents, some antique store purchases, and some newer junk that didn’t match but we liked anyway.”

I’m not into designerspeak, can you tell? For a long time I thought MCM was 1900, which was confusing since all the stuff labeled MCM is from about 1960 forward.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:18 pm
Lots of color and lots of detail. Your grandmother’s house on steroids.
I appreciate sleek and modern, too, depending where.

etky

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:22 pm
So I would say definitely modern as opposed to traditional.
I like things bright and airy. Light neutrals with pops of color appeal to me most.
I love clean (usually square) lines and geometric patterns and prefer cool materials and finishes like glass and tile to warm ones like wood.
That said, I don't like ultra-sleek and ultra-minimalist design. I find it can be cold and unwelcoming. I guess you could call my aesthetic soft or comfortable modern.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:24 pm
contemporary and bright colors, the Ikea look.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:34 pm
Transitional

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 5:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Hmm. Sounds like a fancy way of saying “some old stuff from my parents, some antique store purchases, and some newer junk that didn’t match but we liked anyway.”

I’m not into designerspeak, can you tell? For a long time I thought MCM was 1900, which was confusing since all the stuff labeled MCM is from about 1960 forward.

LOL- BH, my parents are still keeping/using their "stuff" but have gone through a few relocations over time- so the circa 1970's "Midwest Classics" are long gone. We did "inherit" (read, are storing) a few things from my mother in law A'H, and we keep them in the guest room my father in law uses. It makes him happy.

Nope, I legit buy pieces that I like, but the styles vary...somehow it all works.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 7:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
I enjoy many different styles from modern to very old. I will always put FAMILY STUFF above all the trend

Same here. There are things I might not like, but overall, I like everything except probably the 70's look TMI

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 8:09 am
Late Victorian to Esthetic Movement period. Wainscotting, stamped tin ceilings, anaglypta, glass front cabinets, lighting fixtures that look like gas lights.

I am fortunate to have my great grandmother's furniture. I am dying to get ahold of some William Morris or Liberty of London wallpaper, but it's insanely expensive.

I miss going to antique auctions in America. I used to get incredible bargains for some really rare pieces.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics