Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Poor middle class
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:11 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Thank You for explaining. I would live to know where these houses are.

Lakewood commons. It’s raffles based on income and family size. Taxes are also fixed next few years.
I totally fagin ppl there - have a few relatives live there.

Also lots of ppl bought homes with 25k sandy grant.

Or hud does sometimes subsidize buying homes. One of my sil bought gorgeous home over 10 years ago. Hud is still paying her mortgage in full (totally legal, home is in her name - it’s a home buyer program). That program is very hard to get on. Not sure if they do it anymore. It also makes it hard to move up in life. If she makes 1k more a month she loses the benefit. But can’t afford the 3k+ mortgage.

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:18 am
Am I the only one scratching my head? I live in Lakewood. Most people here who are on govt programs do NOT have extra money to spare. Yes, they are doing ok because they get help from programs, get vouchers to stores or help before yom tov, get tuition cuts etc. but none of them are shopping in fancy boutiques or pushing bugaboos unless their mother in law gave them a gift. Sorry to those who feel otherwise. They struggle to save up money to buy a home. They are not going on fancy vacations. They buy their kids clothes on Ali or in the cheapest stores in town. They make takkana weddings.
I don't know where people get this idea from that we are making it rich when we have a low income. It's just not possible.
Like I said, I am speaking for most of us - it is possible that there are exceptions. Perhaps you are frustrated because you feel like you are making more money so you should be doing better than them and you see them and they look like they are doing fine financially. And they are doing ok. But they are not living a rich lifestyle. Nice try.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:51 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I think most of the public can recognize expensive strollers and jewellery. So if you are going to pick up benefits, it would behoove you to leave all that home.

Nobody is going to say, 'oh, probably her mother bought her that buggy, and she still deserves food stamps.' Because if her mother had money to buy her an expensive buggy, she should have given her the money for food.

I do think it's chillul hashem to pick up benefits in expensive attire. Nobody else is going in diamonds and bugaboos.

Thank you Royalblue Flower

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:58 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I know very wealthy ppl that only shop in thrift stores. And although I wouldn’t announce it pubicly, she did, at her own son’s bar mitzvah. She spent $20 on her dress, including buying extra trims and stuff. And, it looked at least $300.
I know very wealthy ppl who eat and dress very simple. But they have a luxury home, and own luxury real estate that brings nice income.

This is very true. I visit a certain thrift store from time to time in Israel and people with a thick wallet shop there.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:53 pm
What is also true is that the ability to sew saves $$$ because people often buy cheaper skirts and dresses in regular stores and add fabric to make it tznius. This also helps when girls grow taller but not wider. I even shortened pleated uniform skirts that I got cheaper from The Man with the Truck.
Being able to see opens up possibilities that would not exist otherwise.
Also shopping bubbies are not always the bargain that everyone thinks they are. Many people wish that the bubby would put her time and money where it's really needed.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:01 pm
In the grand scheme of things, we are all here for a limited time and no one when they are 80 years old will remember the dress you wore on that year! Your grandchildren and children will remember your love and your Torah.
If you have shelter, Torah and a loving family, you have everything, who cares about the latest shoes or the latest trend!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:10 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I think most of the public can recognize expensive strollers and jewellery. So if you are going to pick up benefits, it would behoove you to leave all that home.

Nobody is going to say, 'oh, probably her mother bought her that buggy, and she still deserves food stamps.' Because if her mother had money to buy her an expensive buggy, she should have given her the money for food.

I do think it's chillul hashem to pick up benefits in expensive attire. Nobody else is going in diamonds and bugaboos.
[b]

Noone goes to pick up benefits. It’s a card which is filled electronically. ssi and ss are automatic bank deposits. WIC is slowly transferring to a card. Recert is through an agency. So none sees you. (In ny)
Also there are people who once had and now don’t. So they have items from before a job loss or other monetary loss.
Never judge a book by its cover.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:29 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Many people get Yom Tov vouchers to local stores. Their kids are wearing $100 Shabbos shoes while my kids have zara
I do have to remind myself to be greatful to be on the giving end. But it’s hard.
Yes I own my house but it’s tiny (2 bedroom big family) compared to all other homes. It is hard when others have 4-5 bedroom subsidized homes - (they own for the fraction of the cost of mine). Or larger homes they rent for free.
It is hard to live so poorly and work
So hard. I just try to count my blessings.

It's so funny because I hate the $100 shabbos shoes. I think they look twee and hungarian, and I think Zara's is so hip and fresh. I don't usually shop there because I have so many hand-me-downs, but when I see a kid in Zara's I think they look adorable. And the more expensive outfits look ridiculous to me on little children.

I know people who are grandmothers and have never owned a home. My own grandparents didn't own a home until maybe 10 years ago, and they raised their family in a teeny apartment. Is everyone healthy? It's really all that matters.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:55 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
This is the most insightful thing I've ever read on Imamother. Genius.

Wow, thanks!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:18 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
It's so funny because I hate the $100 shabbos shoes. I think they look twee and hungarian, and I think Zara's is so hip and fresh. I don't usually shop there because I have so many hand-me-downs, but when I see a kid in Zara's I think they look adorable. And the more expensive outfits look ridiculous to me on little children.

I know people who are grandmothers and have never owned a home. My own grandparents didn't own a home until maybe 10 years ago, and they raised their family in a teeny apartment. Is everyone healthy? It's really all that matters.

The problem with Zara's is that the owner is one of the richest men on Earth and they have the worst customer service on earth. But I agree that their stuff is cute.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:11 am
southernbubby wrote:
The problem with Zara's is that the owner is one of the richest men on Earth and they have the worst customer service on earth. But I agree that their stuff is cute.

The zara shoes don’t last. The school shoes I bough are already peeling and splitting. Shabbos shoes are stretched.
I never buy full price expensive shoes but this expiremt was disappointing. Other Cheaper brands definitely last longer.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics