Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Help for homeless man?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:36 pm
I live in Flatbush. There is a homeless man who lives on a milkcrate on a corner a few blocks away from me. I see him every day when I take my DS to playgroup. He is always on the corner in the same ripped and worn clothing. Even in the rain he sits huddled in his coat directly in the downpour. He doesn't seem to be all there. (he silently talks to the trees and light poles)

My heart goes out to him. He needs to be in a place that will help him stabilize and get him back on his feet. Any idea of who I could call? (He isn't Jewish) I cannot be involved further than calling an organization but I'm clueless who to call.

jflower

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:44 pm
Try 311.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:46 pm
Call Adult protective services, or the local hospitals. There is probably very little you can do if he is not interested in going to a shelter.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:49 pm
He has to want to be helped. But Gd bless you for trying

marina

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:53 pm
I love this post thanks for renewing faith in humanity

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:03 pm
Don't give him money, but you can stick a pair of dry socks in your purse to give to him the next time you see him. You can carry around energy bars to give him too. If there's a grocery store or restaurant nearby then after you drop off your child you can pop in and buy him a cup of coffee or something to eat.

Tizku l'mitzvos!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:05 pm
Rutabaga, I would advise against approaching him or talking to him. He can be violent and dangerous. Call 311 or the local shelters to find out what they can do.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in Flatbush. There is a homeless man who lives on a milkcrate on a corner a few blocks away from me. I see him every day when I take my DS to playgroup. He is always on the corner in the same ripped and worn clothing. Even in the rain he sits huddled in his coat directly in the downpour. He doesn't seem to be all there. (he silently talks to the trees and light poles)

My heart goes out to him. He needs to be in a place that will help him stabilize and get him back on his feet. Any idea of who I could call? (He isn't Jewish) I cannot be involved further than calling an organization but I'm clueless who to call.

If you are talking about the one outside of the Chinese restaurant then I dont think there is anything that can be done. I originally thought that he was there because the restaurant gave him food but then noticed that the workers/owners were telling people not to give him anything as they want him to go away. Doesnt look like the police can do anything about it either as he is not hurting anyone. Its really sad but not sure if there is anything that can be done about it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 1:36 pm
I don't see any harm in bringing him warm socks, a scarf, or a woolen hat.

OP, I think it's wonderful that you are moved by the plight of a fellow human being, and having feelings towards him.

Regardless of our circumstances, whether we are "socially appropriate" or not, we are all still made in G-d's image.

happyone

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 9:39 pm
drop a warm blanket. no harm in that. I'd contact a local shelter as well.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 9:56 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Rutabaga, I would advise against approaching him or talking to him. He can be violent and dangerous. Call 311 or the local shelters to find out what they can do.

If he was violent and dangerous - we wouldn't be on the street for this long. (His violence would have got him arrested and moved).

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:28 pm
Many homeless only get violent when approached.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:29 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Many homeless only get violent when approached.

Ya think he's been hanging around for weeks and nobody has talked to him?

pizzapie

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:32 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Disagree. Many homeless people, particularly those who appear to be talking to themselves, are in fact mentally ill. Let's not perpetuate the stigma that mentally ill individuals are violent and dangerous. I doubt there is much you can do though; he would have to want to help himself.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:49 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
If you are talking about the one outside of the Chinese restaurant then I dont think there is anything that can be done. I originally thought that he was there because the restaurant gave him food but then noticed that the workers/owners were telling people not to give him anything as they want him to go away. Doesnt look like the police can do anything about it either as he is not hurting anyone. Its really sad but not sure if there is anything that can be done about it.

OP here. Thank you everyone for your ideas. I will call 311 and see what they can do or if they can direct me farther.

Amother tan, yes, I think we are taking about the same man. It's so sad because I don't think he is mentally well enough to process that he can go to a shelter or even to try to get help.

sequoia

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:57 pm
Can we please stop “othering” people with difficult circumstances and mental illness?

This could be me in a few months, and I assure you all, I’m not violent!

Ravenclaw

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:14 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Don't give him money, but you can stick a pair of dry socks in your purse to give to him the next time you see him. You can carry around energy bars to give him too. If there's a grocery store or restaurant nearby then after you drop off your child you can pop in and buy him a cup of coffee or something to eat.

Tizku l'mitzvos!

This. I used to give money, but then I learnt that they often use it for addictive substances. Since then I like giving metro tickets, food, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries