Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What would you say is the bare basics for Shabbos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

happymom123

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:17 pm
This is how I make shabbos

Challah once a month and freeze (or bought but you can't buy since you need gluten free)

Friday after work I dress chicken bottoms, cover tightly and stick in the oven for an hour then I trim green beans and stick them in a pan with oil, soy sauce and honey and goes in the oven with the chicken. 15 mins of work.

While that's going I make the dip. Either scallions, mayo and lemon blended up. Or tomatoes, onion, garlic and olive oil blended up. Or I split an eggplant lengthwise, put it face down on a cookie sheet drizzle with oil and salt and put it in the oven with the chicken and green beans. With the rest of the time that the chicken is going, I wash the dishes. Once the chivken comes out, the gefilte fish goes in. Unwrapped, drizzle with olive oil, whatever spices you like (trader Joe's bagel spice and smoked paprika are amazing) cover and leave it in the oven for an hour.

That's my basic shabbos. I spend an hour of active cooking and 2 hours of the oven going. The chicken stays on the plata overnight and the salads are made right before the meal.

Tzippy323

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:19 pm
Easiest chicken ever for Shabbos. Take a box of potato latke mix. Prepare it as per directions. Let it sit and thicken. Stuff the mixture under the skin of each piece of chicken. Season the top with spices you like and bake. You will have chicken and potato kugel! As a side dish, take a bag of frozen broccoli and steam it over water that has soy sauce in it...you can use liquid aminos (Bragg) instead of real soy sauce. Add a chopped up onion and bake it in the oven.

Gut Shabbos!

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:23 pm
Fish or soup
Main dish and side
Cholent

You can buy challah and baked goods.

imamom7

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:27 pm
Challa
Soup
On the bbq- london broil with olive oil and trader joes grilling spice 10 min each side
And zuchini eqqplant and yellow squash with olive oil and salt on the bbq at the same time
Sometimes a bag of frozen broccoli

Shabbos day
Salad
Cholent

dena613

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:39 pm
Challah(bakery or made in advance and frozen)

gefilte fish (keep the fish in the paper, put in small pan, fill pan about halfway with boiling water, cover rightly, bake in oven a little over an hour.)

Chicken soup (big pot made in advanced, portioned for a few weeks of shabbosos)

Chicken (make with bbq or duck sauce)
Broccoli(frozen, dump into pan, put in oven)
A kugel (double recipe made in advance, portioned and frozen)

We love our freezer.
Only make soup, challah, kugel, every few weeks.

dena613

Tzippy323 wrote:
Easiest chicken ever for Shabbos. Take a box of potato latke mix. Prepare it as per directions. Let it sit and thicken. Stuff the mixture under the skin of each piece of chicken. Season the top with spices you like and bake. You will have chicken and potato kugel! As a side dish, take a bag of frozen broccoli and steam it over water that has soy sauce in it...you can use liquid aminos (Bragg) instead of real soy sauce. Add a chopped up onion and bake it in the oven.

Gut Shabbos!

Sounds delicious!!!

flmommy

LOVE this thread. I thought I was the only one who ever made a bare bones Shabbos!! I’m glad every Shabbos doesn’t have to be a Thanksgiving feast. For us just having flieshigs and it being Shabbos makes it special.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:40 pm
Meat and vegetables. No gluten. Done.

rising hero

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:44 pm
Every week I make three things.
Fish, I bake salmon and/or gefilte. When im not in the mood of cooking I put a loaf of gefilte in a pan with water and spices in the oven. Quick and easy.
Chicken soup
Chulent in the crock pot. Meat for friday night I take out from chulent. I cook the eggs for the morning in the chulent too.
Challah and dips are bought. Sometimes ill make (or buy) a potato kugel, bake farfel

artsy

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:47 pm
This thread is amazing!
Thank you!!
Anyone feel free to continue sharing!

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:51 pm
And Pajama’s...

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:59 pm
Also. Sous-vide. I literally go to work and leave meat in sous vide all day. I finish it quickly in oven. It’s never over cooked. I’m done by Thursday. Also my instant pot crock pot is the best thing ever. I have lamb and beef cheek in it right now for lunch tomorrow. I make my own seasoning mix called orangey green stuff. It started when I was getting rid of spice mixes that had stuff in them I don’t eat.

Dumped granulated garlic, onion, dried parsley, paprika, salt and whatever else I had lying around in a 2 litre mason jar and mixed it up. Use it on everything. Well except the sort of Mediterranean mix I also made same way.

No fuss, no muss.

I make several different kinds of meat and we eat it all week. When we run out we have eggs. I have way less dishes to do overall and my life is so much less complicated. I often eat in a half hour break from 4:30-5 weekdays so it’s good it’s all cooked and ready.

I used to think it had to be fresh all the time. It’s just food.

Maryann

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:04 pm
Just wanted to add, my shabbos day is always extremely easy and simple
I make 1 cockpot with cholent, I add eggs and kishka and sometimes salami. It's really alot a full good easy meal
Good luck!

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:16 pm
Basics in terms of effort or cost and for company or Just family?

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:03 am
2 candles
2 challah or something to make kiddush on
kiddush drink
meat
fish (I see it as last)

Please if your minhag is milky shabbes then replace accordingly

Aylat

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:42 am
Challa and bought dips
Chicken soup or main chicken dish
(Bought kugel)
Nuts/fruit for dessert

Same for lunch (we leave chicken soup on hot plate overnight, the flavour gets richer)

ETA easy filling chicken dish:
Layer of rice on bottom of oven tray. Whole chicken. Vegetables cut into chunks - can be whatever you like: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans etc. Add water to cover rice. Sprinkle with whatever spices/herbs you like. Cover with foil, oven on 250⁰C for approx an hr, uncover and leave to brown for another 20 mins.

Last edited by Aylat on Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Aylat

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:46 am
If you want fish, I do a really easy and delicious salmon:

The salmon can be fresh or frozen. Olive oil, (lemon juice), salt and pepper drizzled and sprinkled over the top. Oven 200⁰C, 20-45 minutes depending how done you like it.

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 12:15 pm
Soup (add lentils or peas to make it more filling) for night. Cholent and a fresh salad for day. Cake if you feel like it.
End.

etky

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 12:33 pm
Aylat wrote:
Challa and bought dips
Chicken soup or main chicken dish
(Bought kugel)
Nuts/fruit for dessert

Same for lunch (we leave chicken soup on hot plate overnight, the flavour gets richer)

ETA easy filling chicken dish:
Layer of rice on bottom of oven tray. Whole chicken. Vegetables cut into chunks - can be whatever you like: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans etc. Add water to cover rice. Sprinkle with whatever spices/herbs you like. Cover with foil, oven on 250⁰C for approx an hr, uncover and leave to brown for another 20 mins.

Wow, that's almost 500F. What setting do you cook it on - convection (fan) or conventional?

Dina2018

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 2:23 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
When we don't have any guests, we usually make very basic Shabbos meals.

Friday:
Challah
Chicken, Potatoes, carrots (all cooked in crockpot with minimal seasoning)
Mushrooms (oven roasted)
Cauliflower (oven roasted)

Saturday lunch:
Challah
Crockpot Entree (cholent, meatballs, stuffed peppers, pulled chicken)
White Rice or couscous if needed

Seudah shlishit:
Random leftovers

Desserts are just store bought cookies or candy.
do you have 2 crockpots or how do you do it? sounds good
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus