Home

The new law?
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

yo'ma

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:36 am
Can someone please explain it? The one where it seems that our constitutional right of free speech is being violated. I admit, I didn't read any details about it, but hearing how if one says something, they're fined???? Even on a government level. Besides that, isn't it our parents job to teach us how to speak, how is saying something that actually is not bad, mean, or derogatory illegal???

edited for grammar

Last edited by yo'ma on Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Kiwi13

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:50 am
Did I miss something?

yo'ma

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:03 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Did I miss something?

heritage.org
cbsnews
fox news

SYA

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:06 am
NY is a sanctuary City. They are trying to do what they can to help these immigrants, including making them feel comfortable to want to live here.

amother

Fuchsia

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:13 am
It’s not much different from workplace discrimination laws that keep your employers from talking about the cheap dirty Jews, or from discriminating against those disgusting woman who wear wigs.

In private, you can say whatever you want.

DrMom

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:19 am
It is an authoritarian attempt to control speech.

I hope this goes to court.

I also don't understand how the law will be applied, practically.

"Threatening to call ICE when motivated by discrimination, derogatory use of the term 'illegal alien,' and discrimination based on limited English proficiency are unlawful discriminatory treatment under the NYC Human Rights Law."

How will they decide if someone who calls ICE is "motivated by discrimination?"

First time I ever heard that the motivations of someone reporting a crime must be examined before a law is enforced.

amother

Crimson

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:20 am
yo'ma wrote:
Can someone please explain it? The one where it seems that our constitutional right of free speech is being violated. I admit, I didn't read any details about it, but hearing how if one says something, they're fined???? Even on a government level. Besides that, isn't it our parents job to teach us how to speak, how is saying something that actually is not bad, mean, or derogatory illegal???

edited for grammar

So far in NY, illegal aliens can get financial aid for college, drivers license, pro bono legal assistance, assistance from the NYAG, the mayor and other agencies, protection from law enforcement agencies, etc all without having to pay any state taxes. Its good to be an illegal alien in NY. No one is above the law except for illegal aliens. The rights of citizens are being stripped away slowly but surely and it is "bigotry" for citizens to defend themselves in court. These "laws" not only violates the first amendments rights of citizens but also violates the 14th amendments rights of citizens.
But keep voting for democrats and you will find yourself going to prison for daring to stand up for your rights as a citizen. This is the new KGB in NY.

amother

Fuchsia

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:23 am
DrMom wrote:
It is an authoritarian attempt to control speech.

I hope this goes to court.

I also don't understand how the law will be applied, practically.

"Threatening to call ICE when motivated by discrimination, derogatory use of the term 'illegal alien,' and discrimination based on limited English proficiency are unlawful discriminatory treatment under the NYC Human Rights Law."

How will they decide if someone who calls ICE is "motivated by discrimination?"

First time I ever heard that the motivations of someone reporting a crime must be examined before a law is enforced.

Intent is frequently an element of a crime.

SYA

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:26 am
Why the hug?
I did not say what I believe regarding immigrants.
That is what mayor DeBlasio has said.

I do think calling them aliens is offensive.

Squishy

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:27 am
Just call them illegal invaders. Not being allowed to hire someone who speaks English is ridiculous.

amother

Crimson

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:37 am
SYA wrote:
Why the hug?
I did not say what I believe regarding immigrants.
That is what mayor DeBlasio has said.

I do think calling them aliens is offensive.

Why is it offensive?

amother

Fuchsia

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:42 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
So far in NY, illegal aliens can get financial aid for college, drivers license, pro bono legal assistance, assistance from the NYAG, the mayor and other agencies, all without having to pay any state taxes. Its good to be an illegal alien in NY. No one is above the law except for illegal aliens. The rights of citizens are being stripped away slowly but surely and it is "bigotry" for citizens to defend themselves in court. These "laws" not only violates the first amendments rights of citizens but also violates the 14th amendments rights of citizens.
But keep voting for democrats and you will find yourself going to prison for daring to stand up for your rights as a citizen. This is the new KGB in NY.

Why on earth do you think that illegal immigrants are exempt from taxes? Hint. They’re not.

While it’s impossible to get the exact numbers because of the limited data available, researchers at the concededly left-leaning Institute on Taxation & Economic Policy estimate that undocumented workers paid a total of $11.7 billion in state and local taxes in 2014, the most recent year of data, according to their 2017 report.

Why do you have a problem with people having drivers licenses? Or college tuition assistance? Do you think that a citizen is being told that he can’t get a license because someone who overstayed her visa (about half of all illegal immigrants ) have one?

Did you know that NY residents with income under $125,000 get free tuition at CUNY and SUNY schools? And it’s not like they’re being denied aid at other schools. So why is it hurting you for others to get it?

Why do you think that landlords should be able to rent to illegal aliens, then tell them that if they complain about illegal conditions, they’re going to call ICE?

Why do you think that employers should be able to knowingly employ illegal immigrants — a crime— and then treat them poorly or not pay them at legal rates under threats.

Why do you think that restaurants and other places should be allowed to discriminate against people with accents, or who talk among themselves in another language? Do you agree that this should allow discrimination against Yiddish speaking Jews?

Kiwi13

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:44 am
Wow. I heard of that one case a while back that was painted to be a hate crime when a woman called ICE over a landlord/tenant dispute, but that was reported in an inflammatory way that really sounded more like harassment than anything else. This is crazy. No idea how such a thing is enforceable. Sounds like a police state in the making. Like that short lived insanity in Arizona with the diaper changing laws. They can get anyone on anything at any time. Whole thing is dangerous.

amother

Fuchsia

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:47 am
Squishy wrote:
Just call them illegal invaders. Not being allowed to hire someone who speaks English is ridiculous.

Illegal invaders? Really?

But you have the absolute right to call people whatever you want. Just don’t discriminate against them.

In any case, where does any law say that you can’t hire English speakers? You can’t harass customers who are speaking, say, Yiddish. Or tell your employees on break that they can’t speak Yiddish among themselves.

amother

Crimson

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:50 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Why on earth do you think that illegal immigrants are exempt from taxes? Hint. They’re not.

While it’s impossible to get the exact numbers because of the limited data available, researchers at the concededly left-leaning Institute on Taxation & Economic Policy estimate that undocumented workers paid a total of $11.7 billion in state and local taxes in 2014, the most recent year of data, according to their 2017 report.

Why do you have a problem with people having drivers licenses? Or college tuition assistance? Do you think that a citizen is being told that he can’t get a license because someone who overstayed her visa (about half of all illegal immigrants ) have one?

Did you know that NY residents with income under $125,000 get free tuition at CUNY and SUNY schools? And it’s not like they’re being denied aid at other schools. So why is it hurting you for others to get it?

Why do you think that landlords should be able to rent to illegal aliens, then tell them that if they complain about illegal conditions, they’re going to call ICE?

Why do you think that employers should be able to knowingly employ illegal immigrants — a crime— and then treat them poorly or not pay them at legal rates under threats.

Why do you think that restaurants and other places should be allowed to discriminate against people with accents, or who talk among themselves in another language? Do you agree that this should allow discrimination against Yiddish speaking Jews?

If someone breaks into your house then you should give them food, shelter, money, etc. Why are they not entitled to get these things from you if they managed to break into your house? What makes these house intruders criminal for breaking into your house?
That is basically what NY is saying. If foreigners can manage to break into our country then they are now entitled to services that many citizens cannot get (citizens need to prove that they qualify for financial aid, how do you prove anything and why should you get anything in the first place if you are in the country illegally?). Why are illegal aliens above the laws?
Where is the link to your study showing that they pay state and local taxes?

amother

Bronze

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:54 am
I think its record setting seeing it going into law. I am all pro that noone should act a jerk. However, isn't that the legalese term precisely used in the profession? I think it's shaky and can get undone because it's tricky freedom-wise to make bullying illegal. And freedom of speech too . If someone uses any racist term its the exact same, so will all this become fined? And will they be reenacting 1984?

amother

cornflower

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:58 am

A lot of the frum community employs illegal immigrants, so I dont understand the sudden outrage at illegal immigrants.

Squishy

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:03 am

Fushia,

You are showing your limited understanding of taxes. Certain taxes are unavoidable like gasoline tax. They don't get kudos for posting those taxes when they avoid paying income tax.

Half the immigrant households are on program versus the 23% of American born families which shows they come here to suck up benefits.

Again, you show you lack of understanding about the college tuition aid. I think it is only 1/3 of the students whose families make insert $125,000 get the aid. Why should citizens have to take second place to the illegal invaders coming here? They have as much right to my tax dollars paying their tuition as does someone living in India.

Illegal invaders should not be entitled to public housing. There are too many American homeless on the streets.

Illegal invaders shouldn't be entiled to legal aid. They come here and break the laws and we pay for their legal defense.

Most of all illegal invaders should not be entiled to sanctuary. They commit crimes they should be banished from this country instead of leaving them to commit more creating lawless pockets.

I always say not to threaten legal action. I agree in this case. Call ICE report and deport the criminals and trouble makers.

Squishy

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:05 am
Illegal invaders? Really?

But you have the absolute right to call people whatever you want. Just don’t discriminate against them.

In any case, where does any law say that you can’t hire English speakers? You can’t harass customers who are speaking, say, Yiddish. Or tell your employees on break that they can’t speak Yiddish among themselves.

Fushia,

You can't discriminate when hiring because they don't speak English.

amother

Crimson

Post  Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:13 am
Squishy wrote:
Fushia,

You can't discriminate when hiring because they don't speak English.

I have seen ads that specifically state that the applicant is required to speak fluent Spanish which is discrimination in itself as it excludes non-Spanish speaking citizens from getting jobs. Citizens need to stand up for their rights and fight against it before its too late.
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 10 View latest: 24h 48h 72h