Home

The new law?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Clarissa

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 3:43 pm
Squishy wrote:
They do, and it isn't right.

I go to a certain store weekly before Shabbos. If I go too late on Thursday night, I get illegal invaders serving me. First, they don't speak enough English to be able to identify product. Second, they don't have American norms for servicing customers. They stand there without responding. They are not educated enough to be servicing customers. Third, they talk between themselves about the costumers in their Spanish. I speak enough Spanish that I get the gist of what they were saying. I was there with a native Spanish speaker once who was as frustrated as me

It is an awful customer experience.
I am so grateful that, when my parents and aunts and uncle and two lucky grandparents came here either before the Shoah (when things were looking bad) or after surviving the Shoah, they were not treated this way in spite of their difficulty speaking English as they tried desperately to make a living. And yes, they spoke to each other (family, friends, neighbors) in Yiddish, Hungarian and Slovak. As far as "uneducated," my mom only made it to the 6th grade but did work in several careers. She'll be turning 91 soon and brings joy, laughter and kindness to all who know her. We still chuckle when she mixes up the letters v and w sometimes to this day. It's adorable. Smile

I get emotional reading the Emma Lazarus poem "The New Collossus," especially after seeing photos of my parents (when they were children) in their villages standing alongside family members (parents, grandparents, aunts uncles and cousins, including toddlers) who were not so lucky.

Last edited by Clarissa on Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

marina

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:42 pm
itsmeima wrote:
It's amazing to see how few people here actually read the bill.

can you plse post a link? I am very interested

SixOfWands

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:57 pm
marina wrote:
can you plse post a link? I am very interested

The Enforcement Guide can be found here

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/cc.....e.pdf

And Fact Sheet

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/cc.....r.pdf

Here we are, less than 24 hours before Kol Nidre, arguing about whether or not people should be allowed to use derogatory or offensive terms to intimidate, humiliate, or degrade people. We shouldn't need an ordinance to tell us not to do those things.
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Recent Topics

Page 10 of 10 View latest: 24h 48h 72h