Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How Do You Make Lokshen Kugel

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:31 am
I haven't made Lokshen Kugel for many years but when I did make it, I followed what I think was a pretty standard recipe and the end product resembled my Bubbe's Kugel which to me (for better or worse) is what a Lokshen Kugel should taste like - noodles with some amount of sweet tasting "stuff" binding the noodles and some raisins interspersed.

Most of the Lokshen Kugels I have eaten resemble this - a rather firm square end result. It's not like a macaroni and cheese type of dish where there is much more sauce.

I had some Lokshen Kugel and another woman complained that the texture was wrong - it was too "pasty". To me it tasted more or less like every Lokshen Kugel I've ever eaten - and that is good thing Very Happy.

I've never eaten a Lokshen Kugel that didn't have that kind of end result. I don't even understand what the woman THINKS a Lokshen Kugel's texture should be.

Anyway are there Lokshen Kugels that are completely different in texture? Is there a "style" of kugel I've never encountered. She is from Chicago and I am from Brooklyn if that makes any difference - e.g. there is Chicago style pizza and New York style pizza. LOL

I am posting Tory Avey's recipe as it resembles more or less the recipes I used to make and I would think is pretty much what most people would use (with variants of course).

So I ask is there some kind of Lokshen Kugel style that I am completely unfamiliar with?

1 cup raisins (optional) - you may substitute other fruits like craisins, dried chopped apricots, or chopped drained pineapple
12 oz wide egg noodles
6 large eggs
1 lb sour cream (2 cups)
8 oz cottage cheese (1 cup)
8 oz cream cheese, softened - OR farmer's cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
Cinnamon and sugar for dusting
Nonstick cooking oil spray

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 3:34 pm
I'm reeling and revolted. Not your fault. It's cultural. Where I come from, lokshen kugel is for Shabbos and it's pareve. Egg noodles, eggs, oil, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, vanilla. I stopped adding vanilla since it's gotten absurdly expensive. Maybe some matzah meal, corn flake crumbs or bread crumbs if it seems too runny or it's before Pesach and you have all these breadcrumbs to use up. Maybe some nutmeg and craisins if you want to be nontraditional. That's IT. Cheese, butter and sour cream? You gotta be kidding, but at least you didn't say pineapple on top of all that.

What you're describing is a noodle-cheese casserole. It may be yummacious, but it's not lokshen kugel. Sorry.

Depending on where in Europe your family comes from, lokshen kugel may be made with salt and pepper instead of sugar, raisins and cinnamon. It's not my tradition and I'm not a fan but I'm willing to concede that it's kugel.

ETA: the texture is firm, of course. Probably much more firm than your milchik dish. All that cream cheese and cottage cheese would make it rather more slippery than otherwise.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 3:46 pm
In my family and circles lokshen kugel is also always parve - an accompaniment to a meat meal.
However, whenever I see a recipe for lokshen kugel in non-frum and/or non-Jewish media (newspapers/magazines/sites etc) it is always the sour cream/cream cheese variety, so I am not at all shocked. It's often called Noodle Pudding.
Actually, I have eaten this type of kugel on Shavuot come to think of it.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 3:51 pm
Amarante wrote:

I had some Lokshen Kugel and another woman complained that the texture was wrong - it was too "pasty". To me it tasted more or less like every Lokshen Kugel I've ever eaten - and that is good thing Very Happy.

I've never eaten a Lokshen Kugel that didn't have that kind of end result. I don't even understand what the woman THINKS a Lokshen Kugel's texture should be.

Anyway are there Lokshen Kugels that are completely different in texture? Is there a "style" of kugel I've never encountered. She is from Chicago and I am from Brooklyn if that makes any difference - e.g. there is Chicago style pizza and New York style pizza. LOL

So, I have tasted kugels that had a somewhat looser texture than the one that I make.
My MIL used to make something like that- the kugel wasn't as firm or cohesive as mine. She also used to use much wider noodles. Maybe that is what your friend means?

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:25 pm
I never had a "savory" Lokshen Kugel. I've only had sweet versions and it's quite rich so it would be served as a brunch type of offering along with the lox and herring etc. Or maybe as a nosh in terms of what was left over.

My Bubbe was from Poland and her dishes were very traditional Eastern European Jewish.

The traditional "carb" sides would have been farfelle or roasted potatoes.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
I never had a "savory" Lokshen Kugel. I've only had sweet versions and it's quite rich so it would be served as a brunch type of offering along with the lox and herring etc. Or maybe as a nosh in terms of what was left over.

My Bubbe was from Poland and her dishes were very traditional Eastern European Jewish.

The traditional "carb" sides would have been farfelle or roasted potatoes.

By coincidence I made my own grandmother's noodle kugel for this shabbat and DD was helping herself to a leftover piece just as I saw this post about lokshen kugel Very Happy .
I only make it like once or twice a year. I usually make a sweeter, cinnamony version with lots of fruit and vanilla. My family prefers it to my grandmother's version which is really plain: noodles, eggs, oil, a bit of flour, salt, sugar + a good dose of black pepper. We jokingly (and lovingly) call my grandmother's kugel "lump of lokshen". I make it for nostalgia's sake and because my father really loves it.
My grandmother was American born but her family also came from Poland (Lumza).

oneofakind

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:10 pm
I'm from a Hungarian backround and your recipe is for a dairy lokshen kugel. I usually make mine pareve-noodles, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, oil, a bit of shredded apple. The texture for both is pretty firm so you can cut it into squares.

I've never seen or tasted a kugel with any other texture. It's not like an apple cobbler that you eat with a spoon which you might confuse with some sort of apple kugel.

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:17 pm
I just wanted to add that my Bubbe did not cook from recipes so her version of Lokshen Kugel was whatever she had cooked in Poland so this version of Lokshen Kugel is definitely not something she picked up from Ladies Home Journal or any type of "media" Very Happy Very Happy

Whenever I tried to actually get a "recipe" from her it was devoid of meaningful measures - half a juice glass or whatever LOL

The recipe I posted was not her or my "recipe". I haven't made Lokshen Kugel in many years but I Tory Avey's version seemed like it would more or less resemble the version I had grown up eating. Very Happy

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:02 am
zaq wrote:
I'm reeling and revolted. Not your fault. It's cultural. Where I come from, lokshen kugel is for Shabbos and it's pareve. Egg noodles, eggs, oil, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, vanilla. I stopped adding vanilla since it's gotten absurdly expensive. Maybe some matzah meal, corn flake crumbs or bread crumbs if it seems too runny or it's before Pesach and you have all these breadcrumbs to use up. Maybe some nutmeg and craisins if you want to be nontraditional. That's IT. Cheese, butter and sour cream? You gotta be kidding, but at least you didn't say pineapple on top of all that.

What you're describing is a noodle-cheese casserole. It may be yummacious, but it's not lokshen kugel. Sorry.

Depending on where in Europe your family comes from, lokshen kugel may be made with salt and pepper instead of sugar, raisins and cinnamon. It's not my tradition and I'm not a fan but I'm willing to concede that it's kugel.

ETA: the texture is firm, of course. Probably much more firm than your milchik dish. All that cream cheese and cottage cheese would make it rather more slippery than otherwise.

Way to yuck somebody's yum.

I also grew up with lokshen kugel the way OP describes (though no raisins or other fruit in mine). When I make it I blend everything together (except the noodles) so the noodles bake in a rich and creamy sauce. It does come out dense, but I wouldn't describe it as pasty. It's always a huge hit, with family and guests.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes