Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to get groceries for free when stores take off the shelf

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:30 am
Does anyone know how to get leftovers from stores (bread, produce), or what they do with their food when they don't want cans/bottles on the shelf anymore? Is there a way to get things for free or very discounted when the store doesn't want to sell it anymore?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:32 am
They probably sell to a discount store. Like a dollar store, or Aldi's.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:35 am
google 'dumpster diving'.

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:36 am
The frum stores give it away in my town.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know how to get leftovers from stores (bread, produce), or what they do with their food when they don't want cans/bottles on the shelf anymore? Is there a way to get things for free or very discounted when the store doesn't want to sell it anymore?

Check their dumpster out back.

1untamedgirl

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:38 am
See if this agency can help you-- https://www.rescuingleftovercuisine.org/about

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:52 am
Ask the store manager.
Explain to him/her, that you are not looking for a donation, but rather what is their procedure and how can you utilize it.

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:06 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Ask the store manager.
Explain to him/her, that you are not looking for a donation, but rather what is their procedure and how can you utilize it.

Try the owner first if you can.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:41 pm
Ask the bakeries. Some give away for free or deeply discounted right before closing or the next morning.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:06 pm
Masbia offers way more than just warm meals...
They give away lots of frozen raw chicken, grape juice, produce, raw beans etc.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:55 pm

Last edited by amother on Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:56 pm
Ask the manager. The store I shop in let’s me go into the back and take from produce boxes taken off shelf. I just ask worker there to mark it.

professor

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Ask the bakeries. Some give away for free or deeply discounted right before closing or the next morning.

Yes or right before they close for shabbos or Yom tov you can really get it cheap/free even the really high priced items can go for dirt cheap before a 3 day YT

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 3:55 pm
Thank you everyone!!

mamaleh

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:14 pm
In Lakewood many of the stores give some/all of it to people who distribute it to people in need. If you are in Lakewood, pm me and I’ll try to get you the info.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:23 pm
Shomer Shabbos gets bakery leftovers right before shabbos

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:57 pm
OP,

You also may be able to get pizza, bagels, sushi, and prepared shabbos food. I know people who get in my town.

Try speaking with the owners if you can.

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:18 pm
Also, you can get free Kaparos chickens this time of year.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:42 am
Jewish Family Services often has a food bank at their offices. See if there is one in your town. They often get donations that are not kosher, but they will keep one wall separate for things with a good heksher. If you make an appointment you can come in when the food bank is closed to the public, and "shop" without other people seeing you or rushing to get something near you. They have toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc. as well. Some even have pet food. They always have canned food, and occasionally get produce that is still in good condition.

You can also look for food banks in your zip code, and food banks that are open to anyone in the city limits. At one point I had a calendar that told me which banks were open on which day, the hours they were open, and where they were located. I was treated with a warm smile and dignity at every single location. (If you have a small child, bring them with you, they will give you all kinds of extra goodies. No one can resist a cute kid!)

Some of the food banks gave out pre-made sack lunches as well. DD and I would take these, and give them to the homeless people who camped at the bus stop on our way home. We felt so grateful to have a home to go to, when other people didn't. It was a great way to teach gratitude to Hashem, and to be content with what we have.

To this day, DD will always share her lunch with the girl who didn't bring much to eat. One year, when we were grocery shopping, DD asked me to buy her extra of everything, and pack her two lunches. I asked her why, and she said that there was a girl in her class who often didn't have any lunch, or maybe just a half an apple. The girl came from a very large, very poor family. DD wanted to tell her "Oh, my mom packed too much again, do you want this?" or "Why does my mom keep packing this, she knows I don't like it!" so that this girl will never know that my daughter is doing a chesed. She came up with this plan all on her own, and I'm so proud of her!

(Sorry, went a bit off topic there, but I had to brag a bit. My point is that giving and taking is an extremely important lesson for kids to see, so don't be embarrassed that your kids find out what you are doing for food.)

top mom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 3:37 am
FF, you and your DD are such sensitive, sweet souls!
May we all have a Gmar Chasima Tova, and be able to afford food easily and in abundance Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics