Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Skin care routine...Help!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:49 pm
I really need some help here.
I am 36 and have never done any sort of skin care routine. I really want to start. I hope it is still considered "better late than never" Sad
I do not routinely wash my face, put on moisterizer etc. I have never exfoliated or gone for a facial etc. I do not wear make up every day, When I do I usually do not wash it off.
All of this is due to laziness. But I want to take my life back and I am starting with self care since I really do care.

Can someone help me!?!?!
I have coconut oil in my house and neutrogena moisturizer.
(I probably have combination skin since I have white heads and blackheads on my nose and chin, some red blotches that come and go and occasional pimple usually around my chin sometimes near my eye brows)
I am willing to do one or two major things like a face mask or facial, but
I really need an easy affordable skin routine.
Thanks and thanks for reading this long Post!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:53 pm
Keep it simple but consistent.
Wash your face every evening with warm water Dove bar soap. Then rinse with cold water to close up pores.
Use the moisturizer you have on your face. If you need acne cream on your T zone then only put moisturizer on the rest of your face.

Wash again same way every morning. No need to moisturize again in the morning unless your skin is dry.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:57 pm
Wash and moisturize morning and evening. Use an aha/bha serum at bedtime for exfoliation. Use a separate moisturizer for the undereye area. And first and foremost, wear sunscreen daily.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 5:02 pm
Thanks!
Any links for the serum for exfoliating and for the eye cream?
What about the acne cream for my T Zone?
What type of sun screen, the ones I have at home make my skin or eyes burn and I dont like how it feels.

Thanks again for the help!

West End Tova

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 5:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What type of sun screen, the ones I have at home make my skin or eyes burn and I dont like how it feels.

I like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer liquid SPF 70.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:06 pm
Check out the Paula’s choice line. They sell wonderful products but there is definitely a learning curve where you learn what works for your face and what doesn’t. Definitely use sunscreen every day no matter the season and moisturize every night and day. Pores don’t open and close physically but there are different products that can make pores appear smaller. Use BHA/ AHAs to exfoliate and don’t use scrubs as they are too harsh for the face. Wash your face am and pm with a gentle cleanser and warm water and then exfoliate and then moisturize and if it’s the am of course use sunscreen. ( Sunscreen is crucial to anti aging but it can be a trial and error game finding one that doesn’t clog your pores) You can also enhance your routine by adding in spot treatments and serums etc.
Of course if you wear makeup take it off with makeup wipes right away. Don’t use any products with fragrances and certain types of alcohol are drying and harsh to the skin so you want to check the ingredients in a product.
Good for you for making self care of your face a priority! Good luck and soon you will have glowing skin Iyh.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:38 pm
I think this would be a basic, affordable skin care routine. Obviously, we don't know your skin type so you would have to tweak it to suit you.

Night time skin care
Banila Co Clean It Zero - use if you wore makeup that day at CVS
Cerave Hydrating Cleanser at Ulta Beauty
Alba Botanica hyrdrating mask at Walmart
Derma E purifying youth serum at Walmart
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid at Ulta Beauty
Differin gel - This is a retinol and not to be used during pregnancy, at Ulta Beauty
Moisturizer-I would not use coconut oil on the face, it tends to clog pores. I like jojoba oil.

Morning skin care
Cerave Hydrating Cleanser
Ren Ready Steady Glow at Sephora
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid
The Ordinary Vitamin C
Mineral Sunscreen
Moisturizer

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:40 am
Have a look at Paula's Choice website. They have really great and pretty affordable skincare products and also good information pages on what is an essential skincare routine. You don't really need a crazy excessive number of products and steps, which I think might be overwhelming for you if you're never gotten into skincare routine before.
I cleanse morning and night and use a BHA exfoiliator in the evening and a moisturizer with sunscreen in the day time. 3 regular products and that routine is perfect for me.

Sleepymama

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:16 am
Wow denim, I'm not the OP but I've also been unclear about what the best routine is skin-care wise. I'm always lost when I look through all the millions of options, and the people who do facials are always just trying to sell their particular line of products. This looks like a really great list! I'm going try to follow it too! Thanks for taking the time to send it!

Sleepymama

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:22 am
Also - for the night routine, do you just layer the serum, the H. Acid, the retinol, and the moisturizer on top of each other? Do you wait for each layer to dry??

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:28 am
Not everyone has one, or the same. It's mostly genes and environment. Or trends.

Facials aren't great

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:47 am
Thanks!! I see it has to be trial and error, question is how long do I try each product for?
I really feel like a little kid with this......its ridiculous!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:48 am
With skincare, the #1 rule is keep it simple, stupid. You only need a face wash with 2%salicylic acid, a good moisturuzer, and a good sunscreen. Everything should be fragranced free (read ingredients. If theres anything that seems like it was added for it's scent, dont buy it).
For extra credit, you can use an alcohol free toner before applying moisturizer.
For spot treatment, use a cream with 10% benzoyl peroxide.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!! I see it has to be trial and error, question is how long do I try each product for?
I really feel like a little kid with this......its ridiculous!

If you're going high-end, you can ask for samples at Sephora.
If you're going drugstore, see if you can find a travel size.
It takes about a week to see full results.

You can also read reviews online. Heres a list of my ride or dies:
Facewash: Aveeno foaming facewash
Moisturizer: Neutrogena hydroboost water gel OR Ponds rejuveness moisturizer
Neutrogena sunscreen

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:58 am
What about Paulas Choice? Do they have smaller sizes? Also do I need to go high end or is drugstore quality enough (prices it is better Smile

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What about Paulas Choice? Do they have smaller sizes? Also do I need to go high end or is drugstore quality enough (prices it is better Smile

Their sizes aren't huge to begin with but they do have the option of ordering trial size (like really sachets) of most of their products or travel size if you want to test for two weeks before buying full size. They also accept returns within 30 days if the product doesn't work out for you. They're really great and I've found to have excellent customer service as well.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:23 am
If you've never done anything until now just keep it simple otherwise you won't be able to maintain it. Start with washing your face 2x a day and then take it from there. You'll realize on your own if you need to add a moisturizer, acne cream, or other.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:05 am
Call Paula’s choice customer service and they will help you set up a routine. I have found them to be very helpful and not pushy at all about the products. Don’t start with too many products so if something goes wrong you will be able to target the product that doesn’t work for your face. I would begin with a cleanser, bha/ or aha , moisturizer ( am and pm) and sunscreen ( most important!) if that goes well I would add in one product at a time and use it for at least a month before adding in another. If you have acne issues their 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide is great. Good luck!

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:54 am
Personally, I would not use salicylic acid if there's no acne. I think its unnecessary. I'd prefer a cleanser with glycolic acid rather than salicylic acid, if you want to simplify by combining. I don't think you'd get maximum benefit but it will definitely have some effect.

I general, with acids, toners, and serums, start slow. Maybe only use every other day until your skin adjusts, otherwise it could be very drying to the skin.

Benzoyl peroxide is also for acne and not really necessary if acne isn't an issue. I'd prefer glycolic acid, azelaic acid, or lactic acid, especially for someone mid-30's or so.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:03 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Personally, I would not use salicylic acid if there's no acne. I think its unnecessary. I'd prefer a cleanser with glycolic acid rather than salicylic acid, if you want to simplify by combining. I don't think you'd get maximum benefit but it will definitely have some effect.

I general, with acids, toners, and serums, start slow. Maybe only use every other day until your skin adjusts, otherwise it could be very drying to the skin.

Benzoyl peroxide is also for acne and not really necessary if acne isn't an issue. I'd prefer glycolic acid, azelaic acid, or lactic acid, especially for someone mid-30's or so.

This is a foreign language to me........can you tell me products, so I can know what to get or what to avoid.
I seriously appreciate all the chessed all you special women are showering me with all this help and advice!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics