Home

Cleaning woman: lovely or efficient?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:05 pm
If I have to choose between firing a sweet, eager to please, lovely but very slow cleaning woman for woman who is very quick but not as nice, what should I do?
Back to top

Einikel




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:06 pm
Quick
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:10 pm
If you just need someone for cleaning go with efficient if you need someone to help with childcare and organizing and food prep etc go with lovely. Hopefully you can find someone who is both
Back to top

Ravenclaw




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:50 pm
I go for nice, but I am weird that way
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:50 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I go for nice, but I am weird that way

I too am willing to overlook some things if she is pleasant to have around.
Back to top

mrsjay




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:57 pm
I could have written this question !! I keep debating about finding a new cleaning lady since the cleaning last that currently works by me is not efficient In the slightest. But she is super reliable and very sweet with a great attitude.
Back to top

Tzivia18




 
 
 


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:51 pm
Someone who is pleasant and I can trust is more important to me than speed. Made this mistake once. Fired a really sweet and slow cleaning lady. Ended up really regretting it.
Back to top

amother




Ruby


Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:17 pm
Reliable to me is one of the most important quality!
If I can't count on her when she's supposed to come, it doesn't matter if she's sweet or rude, slow or efficient!
Pleasant to have around count more that a sour good worker! Talking from experience! I had one that made me in a bad mood the days she was coming!! LOL
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 10:55 am
Efficient and respectful
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:24 pm
I think it depends on how long she will be in your house. If she is there 2 or 3 hours a week, I would go with efficient if you stress interested in heavy cleaning. If she is there full time, then hands down go with nice.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:51 pm
I have the lovely sweet eager to please cleaning woman.

If I ask her to do something specifically she always does it with a smile but she doesn't do "deep cleaning" unless I specifically ask her to do it. There was a piece of paper under my bed for several weeks - I just let it stay and wondered how long it would stay there :-).

On the other hand she has her strengths as she organizes my stuff beautifully. She is also completely honest and I trust her completely so I don't have to be home when she is cleaning. She is able to fit stuff in my refrigerator way better than me :-) and she hangs the laundry so it is color coordinated :-).

If I were hiring a cleaning crew to come in, I would want efficiency. However, for someone who is in my home all the time, I am obviously opting for someone who is a nice person. If she weren't willing to do stuff when I remind her, it would be a different story of course so some of it is on me as I am also not always motivated to keep on top of her as long as everything looks more or less clean and neat when she leaves.
Back to top

amother




Silver


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:59 pm
Slow=more expensive. Not everyone can afford that.
Back to top

emanresu




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 3:10 pm
Quick. Chances are that the loveliness you see in the nice one will quickly turn into grating annoyance when you REAALLLLY need her to be done at 12 because the Shversta (Feminine of Shver) is coming at one, and she' hasn't finished the bathrooms yet.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 3:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have the lovely sweet eager to please cleaning woman.

If I ask her to do something specifically she always does it with a smile but she doesn't do "deep cleaning" unless I specifically ask her to do it. There was a piece of paper under my bed for several weeks - I just let it stay and wondered how long it would stay there :-).

On the other hand she has her strengths as she organizes my stuff beautifully. She is also completely honest and I trust her completely so I don't have to be home when she is cleaning. She is able to fit stuff in my refrigerator way better than me :-) and she hangs the laundry so it is color coordinated :-).

If I were hiring a cleaning crew to come in, I would want efficiency. However, for someone who is in my home all the time, I am obviously opting for someone who is a nice person. If she weren't willing to do stuff when I remind her, it would be a different story of course so some of it is on me as I am also not always motivated to keep on top of her as long as everything looks more or less clean and neat when she leaves.


I had the nasty efficient cleaner with the attitude. She was used by half a dozen people I know. We all were relieved when she was gone from our houses for good. But she was the best cleaner any of us ever had.

Now, I need someone warmer and softer in my house. I don't like being uncomfortable at home. I usually start the day with coffee with her. It's not the most efficient way to run a house, but it's important to me to be comfortable.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 3:36 pm
Squishy wrote:
I had the nasty efficient cleaner with the attitude. She was used by half a dozen people I know. We all were relieved when she was gone from our houses for good. But she was the best cleaner any of us ever had.

Now, I need someone warmer and softer in my house. I don't like being uncomfortable at home. I usually start the day with coffee with her. It's not the most efficient way to run a house, but it's important to me to be comfortable.


So for a few years I was blessed to have a kind and very efficient worker. She finished everything I asked, and often had extra time to watch the baby while I rested. She is a mom herself and I found her to be kind, loving, and thoughtful. She was also smart and cleaned in a very smart way. I was not blessed with organization and she really came through for me. She had to move, and I have found a woman (very young) who is so sweet but everything takes her double the time. Which means half the amount gets done.
However since she is so sweet I don't want to hurt her feelings and fire her. I think I will try to think of ways to teach her how to to things faster.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Oct 09 2019, 12:44 pm
My regular cleaning lady left me right before I had surgery so I scrambled to find one off cleaning ladies while I recovered. I ended up with an amazing cleaner who was nasty and obnoxious. Even when I prefaced the day with "I just had surgery".
But the house was incredibly clean.
Needless to say I never rehired her back.
I now have a lovely woman who appreciates everything I do for her and my house isn't dirty.
Every so often DH and laugh about "remember that one time when we had that amazing cleaning lady?" But neither of us would want her to come back.
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Oct 09 2019, 2:16 pm
She may be less expensive if she knows herself slow. Or agree on a price for the house whatever times
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Oct 09 2019, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So for a few years I was blessed to have a kind and very efficient worker. She finished everything I asked, and often had extra time to watch the baby while I rested. She is a mom herself and I found her to be kind, loving, and thoughtful. She was also smart and cleaned in a very smart way. I was not blessed with organization and she really came through for me. She had to move, and I have found a woman (very young) who is so sweet but everything takes her double the time. Which means half the amount gets done.
However since she is so sweet I don't want to hurt her feelings and fire her. I think I will try to think of ways to teach her how to to things faster.


What may work is lists. You tell her what she is expected to accomplish in the day. If she is eager to please, this may work.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Cleaning lady putting laundry in drawers 4 Today at 4:24 am View last post
Cleaning Rust Off a Gate
by amother
1 Yesterday at 6:57 pm View last post
by zaq
Pesach cleaning
by amother
26 Fri, Nov 15 2019, 3:57 pm View last post
Cleaning lady needed in toms river
by amother
0 Thu, Nov 14 2019, 10:04 pm View last post
Cleaning Service for moving to a house - Toms River
by amother
3 Thu, Nov 14 2019, 8:47 pm View last post

Jump to: