Home

What's Your Red Line?
  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

roses

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:10 pm
For those that are in support of Trump and the current Republican Party- and all of the impeachable crimes that are alleged

Do you have a red line? Is there anything that Trump could do that would make you stop supporting him? That would make you support impeachment? Or is your support for him unconditional, and there are no red lines in terms of his actions and behaviors in office that would make you reconsider? What would it take for you to stop supporting him and justifying his actions- or not?

For those who do not support him- have you ever considered supporting him? And if so, what was the line that was breached that stopped you?

FranticFrummie

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:19 pm
Revoking any kind of civil rights or protections under the law.

Everyone, of every race, zexual orientation, gender, religion, ability or disability should have all basic civil rights under the law.

Backtracking on these issues is a step back to the dark ages. I'd rather not go there.

Restricting or regulating abortion in the first couple of months, even if the fetus is viable, is not so much of a problem. When abortion is completely eliminated, even in maternal life or death cases (like in Northern Ireland), then that's a big red line, too.

Suppression of free speech, free press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of expression.

roses

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:48 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Revoking any kind of civil rights or protections under the law.

Everyone, of every race, zexual orientation, gender, religion, ability or disability should have all basic civil rights under the law.

Backtracking on these issues is a step back to the dark ages. I'd rather not go there.

Restricting or regulating abortion in the first couple of months, even if the fetus is viable, is not so much of a problem. When abortion is completely eliminated, even in maternal life or death cases (like in Northern Ireland), then that's a big red line, too.

Suppression of free speech, free press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of expression.

How do you feel the administration is doing at this time? Is there anything on your list that you think is more at risk than others?

Fox

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:13 pm
I think it will always be a "lesser of evils" question for me. The civil right that I feel is most at risk right now is freedom of speech. Connected with that are values such as academic freedom and digital freedom of speech.

Were a Democratic candidate or another Republican candidate able to convince me that they could continue current economic progress and do a better job of addressing freedom of speech issues, I'd be extremely open to voting for them.

Right now, however, the Democrats are tripping over themselves to chip away at freedom of speech through legislation and regulatory fiat, and none of the Democratic candidates seem to have any economic platform except raising taxes and increasing government intervention.

So Trump it is, for the time being.

Cheiny

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:19 pm
roses wrote:
For those that are in support of Trump and the current Republican Party- and all of the impeachable crimes that are alleged

Do you have a red line? Is there anything that Trump could do that would make you stop supporting him? That would make you support impeachment? Or is your support for him unconditional, and there are no red lines in terms of his actions and behaviors in office that would make you reconsider? What would it take for you to stop supporting him and justifying his actions- or not?

For those who do not support him- have you ever considered supporting him? And if so, what was the line that was breached that stopped you?

What’s your red line for not supporting the current dem party? Obviously the anti semitic congresswomen, and the dem leaders who won’t say a peep about it, much less condemn them aren’t a red line for you... obviously Schiff being caught in numerous lies related to this latest hoax isn’t a red line for you, nor was his phony promise that he had “absolute proof” Trump colluded with Russia...Obviously their Mueller hoax wasn’t...Do you have a red line?

Flip Flops

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:22 pm
Fox wrote:
I think it will always be a "lesser of evils" question for me. The civil right that I feel is most at risk right now is freedom of speech. Connected with that are values such as academic freedom and digital freedom of speech.

Were a Democratic candidate or another Republican candidate able to convince me that they could continue current economic progress and do a better job of addressing freedom of speech issues, I'd be extremely open to voting for them.

Right now, however, the Democrats are tripping over themselves to chip away at freedom of speech through legislation and regulatory fiat, and none of the Democratic candidates seem to have any economic platform except raising taxes and increasing government intervention.

So Trump it is, for the time being.

Yup, this is it.
I don't think he's great - he's just the best choice we've got. So yes, it is irritating to hear everyone stand behind him like he's g-d. You may have voted for him and you may want to continue to do so because we've ain't got no better, but that doesn't mean you've gotta love everything he does.

roses

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:38 pm
I'm not really hearing red lines, which directly relate to Trump himself.

I'm hearing "well, he's the best we've got". Which also discounts the fact that a suitable replacement- Pence, is in the wings, waiting

What are the red lines related to him and his own actions? Not contingent on Democrats or criticisms on other candidates

groisamomma

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:43 pm
Why would someone pretend to know the future? If and when a situation arises where I feel he's gone too far, that's when I'll decide it's a red line.

sequoia

Post  Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:28 pm
I’m a neocon (the last of the Mohicans). I believe our primary commitment is to our allies around the world, especially vulnerable democracies. So Trump’s actions with regard to Ukraine and now the Kurds have been a sort of red line for me, not that I actively supported him before or anything. I’ve been Republican-leaning most of my adult life, but when I say Republican I mean like John McCain or George W. Bush or John Bolton or Nikki Haley, not... this.

Even my mother, the most passionately engaged, enthusiastic Republican ever, has started talking about voting for Biden, should he be the nominee. And for my mom to vote Democrat is pretty much the apocalypse Smile

These are our priorities.

This article, by one of my favorite bloggers for over a decade, is very illuminating:

https://www.algemeiner.com/201.....yone/

DrMom

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:44 am
Talk about a loaded original post.

Rubber Ducky

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:57 am
Considering the current state of the Democrats, Mr. Trump "could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose [my vote]." Well, almost. And that's despite the fact that I find him personally obnoxious.

Link: https://www.realclearpolitics.......html

southernbubby

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:59 am
If he were to put Israel in danger chas v'sholem, I would stop supporting Trump.

Rappel

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:26 am
This sudden withdrawal from Syria is pretty shocking to me.

banana123

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 5:02 am
Rappel wrote:
This sudden withdrawal from Syria is pretty shocking to me.

Not really sudden, though - they've been talking about it for a while.

roses

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 5:06 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Considering the current state of the Democrats, Mr. Trump "could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose [my vote]." Well, almost. And that's despite the fact that I find him personally obnoxious.

So there really isn't a red line for you?
Any type of crime would be ok, because you don't like the Democratic candidates?

Jeanette

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:11 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:

Clearly the demoncrats must have crossed many red lines for you to find a murderer preferable to them. Maybe we can talk about those.

roses

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:23 am
Cheiny wrote:
What’s your red line for not supporting the current dem party? Obviously the anti semitic congresswomen, and the dem leaders who won’t say a peep about it, much less condemn them aren’t a red line for you... obviously Schiff being caught in numerous lies related to this latest hoax isn’t a red line for you, nor was his phony promise that he had “absolute proof” Trump colluded with Russia...Obviously their Mueller hoax wasn’t...Do you have a red line?

This isn't the topic of this thread.
If you want to start your own thread, go ahead. But don't hijack this thread with your accusations and assumptions of my beliefs and opinions.

Jeanette

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:02 am
roses wrote:

As someone who voted Republican until 2016, obviously Trump crossed many of my personal red lines such that I could not support him. Is there any conceivable way I could support him over a Democrat? Only if you could demonstrate that the Democrat was worse than Trump--more corrupt, more conflicted, more driven by self-interest than Trump. I'd vote for Trump over Al Sharpton. So far of the top four democratic frontrunners, of course each one has flaws we can pick apart but no one is anywhere near as malevolent as Trump.

For example, try as you might to make Biden-gate happen, nobody has adequately explained why what Biden did is horrible but what Jared and Ivanka are doing right now is not hundreds of times worse. I mean, maybe you can convince me that Biden is corrupt and should be investigated. Maybe you can even persuade me that Trump is just "doing his job" by pressuring Ukraine to investigate Biden. But as long as you have me convinced that this is serious and wrong and bad, can you explain why I should be ok with Jared and Ivanka literally setting US policy while pursuing business deals in the Middle East and China? People trying to make Biden-gate happen are just coming across to me as maybe not quite so sincere in their commitment to uprooting corruption in government. And that brings me back to the question of what it is we're fighting for anyway.

What I want most of all is for America to be a safe and stable democracy that follows the Constitution and rule of law. Right now I see one party fighting to preserve the Constitution and one party fighting to protect a president who wants to overthrow the Constitution and appoint himself king for life.

Last edited by Jeanette on Tue, Oct 08 2019, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Fox

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:35 am
roses wrote:
This isn't the topic of this thread.
If you want to start your own thread, go ahead. But don't hijack this thread with your accusations and assumptions of my beliefs and opinions.

Or, "Please don't use comparisons to point out the inherent dishonesty of my rant disguised as a question."

roses

Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:46 am
I'm going to ask politely for this thread to stay on topic. Can we please refrain from ad hominem attacks and the usual distraction and spiralling that occurs on political threads?

Thank you.
Now we can go back to discussing red lines.
I'm hearing a lot of interesting thoughts and ideas from people that don't always speak up on threads. Let's keep this thread a place where people can share and discuss and refrain from personal attacks
  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 11 View latest: 24h 48h 72h