Home

Immigrants
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


WhatFor




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:18 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
You can't give $$$ to CORRUPT Socialist Dictators - the bulk of the $$$ ends up
in the Dictator's Pocket (Swiss Bank Accounts). That's why these countries are Poor.

BUILD THE WALL! Walls work - ask Israel. Or Mexico - which has a Wall on ITS Southern Border.


I'm not even going to bother looking into whether Mexico has a wall on its southern border, as you claim. If it does, it undermines your argument that walls work as most of the migrants seeking refugee status in the US are coming up from Central America.
Back to top

Ravenclaw




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 12:10 am
Back to top

Ravenclaw




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 12:13 am
#BestBubby wrote:
You can't give $$$ to CORRUPT Socialist Dictators - the bulk of the $$$ ends up
in the Dictator's Pocket (Swiss Bank Accounts). That's why these countries are Poor.

BUILD THE WALL! Walls work - ask Israel. Or Mexico - which has a Wall on ITS Southern Border.


I never said the money should be handed to the dictators. I am sure some agreement could be found.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 12:31 am
I defer again to activist and journalist Brandon Darby, who knows the southern border situation better than anyone.

He has said repeatedly (I'm paraphrasing here) that anyone who sees the immigration crisis at the southern border as solely an issue of people escaping intolerable situations is an idiot -- that there are large numbers of criminals and bad people coming through.

He then goes on to say that anyone who sees the immigration crisis solely as criminals and thugs invading the U.S. is also an idiot -- there are large numbers of great people who are a huge asset to the U.S.
_________________________

An important fact should be noted when we discuss the situation of Jews fleeing Europe. At the time, it was possible for unrelated U.S. citizens to sponsor immigrants, assuming financial responsibility and guaranteeing that they would not become dependent on public welfare, such as it existed at the time. A large percentage of those who escaped Europe or were able to immigrate to the U.S. shortly after were the beneficiaries of organized efforts to secure sponsors.

This is no longer a legal option, and it points to the need to overhaul immigration laws in general. There is no valid reason that I'm familiar with that churches, synagogues, service organizations, etc., shouldn't be able to commit resources to helping individuals escape intolerable situations. And, of course, when you're taking financial responsibility, you'll have a significant incentive to investigate the people you're assisting as fully as possible.
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 1:48 am
DrMom wrote:
Are you suggesting that the US should not have any border control... because they cannot accurately define who is a refugee? Because you never know which countries might be producing legitimate refugees in the future?

If that is not what you are suggesting, then can you please explain?
.
I do not understand the point of your post. It seems like an emotional argument more than a practical suggestion.


Don't complain about Jews refused admission to Western countries before WW2 if you are unsympathetic towards current refugees.

(Even Israel has helped Syrian refugees and they really are their enemy)

Obviously there needs to be some type of border controls, but this needs to be done from a postion of logic, not ridiculous statements like they are all criminals and rapists. And people should always be treated with compassion. Locking up immigrants and seperating them from their children just can't be defended by anyone.

And lets be real and admit that if most of these immigrants were white the US would be a lot more welcoming.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:21 am
Raisin wrote:
Don't complain about Jews refused admission to Western countries before WW2 if you are unsympathetic towards current refugees.

(Even Israel has helped Syrian refugees and they really are their enemy)

Obviously there needs to be some type of border controls, but this needs to be done from a postion of logic, not ridiculous statements like they are all criminals and rapists. And people should always be treated with compassion. Locking up immigrants and seperating them from their children just can't be defended by anyone.

And lets be real and admit that if most of these immigrants were white the US would be a lot more welcoming.

These are all extreme, emotional points that fail to address any of the issues, history, or current dilemmas concerned with immigration.

* Israel has helped Syrian refugees; they have not brought them to Israel en masse and extended them the same rights and entitlements extended to citizens.

* How precisely do you suggest quartering those apprehended in a way that involves no locks and guarantees the safety of the 30 percent of children who are not related to the people with whom they're apprehended?

* The racism argument doesn't hold up all that well -- 70 percent of African-Americans consider illegal immigration bad for the U.S. as do 55 percent of Hispanic Americans. So while a higher percentage of white Americans consider it bad (86 percent), it's not as if that position is uniquely based on racial identity. RealClearPolitics

I am not, btw, a hardliner on immigration. I believe we need to reform immigration laws to make them fairer and more practical; we need to control the southern border as well as do better at controlling visa overstays; we need to put in place ways that short-term non-citizen workers can come and go; and most of all, we need to put the Mexican cartels out of business.

But none of those goals are achieved by impugning the motives of people who reject the "I'm not in favor of open borders, but" rhetoric.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:37 am
Raisin wrote:
Don't complain about Jews refused admission to Western countries before WW2 if you are unsympathetic towards current refugees.

(Even Israel has helped Syrian refugees and they really are their enemy)

Obviously there needs to be some type of border controls, but this needs to be done from a postion of logic, not ridiculous statements like they are all criminals and rapists. And people should always be treated with compassion. Locking up immigrants and seperating them from their children just can't be defended by anyone.

And lets be real and admit that if most of these immigrants were white the US would be a lot more welcoming.

First of all, nobody assumed that all immigrants are criminals.

That is just as ridiculous as assuming that are all poor, suffering refugees.

Each case should be examined individually.

But the default should be no admittance until you are properly vetted and approved. And for economic reasons, we should be able to select whom we want to enter, similar to how Australia does, based on our needs.

Anything else is a security risk and economically foolhardy.
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:08 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I never said the money should be handed to the dictators. I am sure some agreement could be found.

Suuuure, thay's why alll the international aid to Gaza goes to help the poor families and feed hungry children, and none of it eveeer gets pocketed by Hamas.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Day Without Immigrants- In Your Community?
by amother
208 Fri, Feb 17 2017, 1:36 pm View last post
Where is the bar for allowing in immigrants?
by amother
3 Mon, Jan 30 2017, 5:07 pm View last post
Urgent- medical help for new immigrants.
by amother
4 Fri, Jul 02 2010, 8:00 am View last post
by Liba
HELP ME WITH MY HOMEWORK (IMMIGRANTS) 3 Wed, Oct 14 2009, 4:52 pm View last post
postville immigrants arrested 22 Fri, May 16 2008, 9:10 am View last post

Jump to: