Home

Democrats: What was/is your red line?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


emanresu




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:59 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Well bestbubby never need worry about Trump being an atheist. He believes he's God.


+++++++++ Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top

marina




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:05 pm
emanresu wrote:
I don't have anything against you at all!. The thing is, their plans do interfere with my living morally. Forcing me to give money to PP for example. My main point though was that the left (Not Democrats neccesarily, but the party is headed there) hates religion. This cartoon illustrates it pretty well.


I don't understand how you interpreted this cartoon to be about religion. Plse elaborate.
Back to top

emanresu




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:07 pm
marina wrote:
I don't understand how you interpreted this cartoon to be about religion. Plse elaborate.

It's making fun of "stupid redneck bible belt "bitter clingers" essentially.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:12 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Here's a video. Scroll to 1:44 and 2:43. Enjoy.

https://scroll.in/video/885376.....in-us


I don't watch videos, so I wouldn't know how to scroll.

I seriously doubt there are 3 years appearing pro bono.
Back to top

marina




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:25 pm
emanresu wrote:
It's making fun of "stupid redneck bible belt "bitter clingers" essentially.


I saw it as making fun of hypocritical people who claim to hate the government (see the secede sign) but are pleased to accept gov help when they need it.
Back to top

shyshira




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:26 pm
emanresu wrote:
It's making fun of "stupid redneck bible belt "bitter clingers" essentially.


Its making fun of Texans who want to secede from the Union.


Last edited by shyshira on Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

marina




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:26 pm
Squishy wrote:
I don't watch videos, so I wouldn't know how to scroll.

I seriously doubt there are 3 years appearing pro bono.


what does that mean? You’ve never seen a youtube clip? The three year olds in court is a well known problem.
Back to top

groisamomma




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:48 pm
One question, since this thread has derailed anyway (thanks, marina, for answering the op before jumping into the fray!):
How do people that love and support Israel explain the (mostly Democrat) backing of the BDS movement?
Back to top

marina




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:00 pm
the democratic candidates I will support are not in favor of BDS so I don’t think BDS is relevant to my decision.
Back to top

groisamomma




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:13 pm
marina wrote:
the democratic candidates I will support are not in favor of BDS so I don’t think BDS is relevant to my decision.


Which answers my question about supporting specific candidates based on issues and not just because they belong to the part. Can you name some? And is there any Conservative or Republican you would consider voting for at all today (based on 2016 primaries)?
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:19 pm
Quote:
I don't have anything against you at all!. The thing is, their plans do interfere with my living morally. Forcing me to give money to PP for example. My main point though was that the left (Not Democrats neccesarily, but the party is headed there) hates religion. This cartoon illustrates it pretty well. 


The government spends its money on a lot of things I don't agree with and don't support, and we can have a discussion some other time whether tax $$ to PP serves any public interest. But I don't see how the government giving money to PP affects your ability to live a moral life. As a proportion of the overall government budget, probably less than 0.000001 cent of your personal money goes to PP. Is this an issue for you halachically? Maybe they can make a little box you can check on your tax form whether you want your money to go to PP.

We've had this conversation on the board before but I disagree that "the left" overall hates religion. Some do, I'm sure. Some don't really care and just want to be left alone. Some care about their own religion a lot and don't think their religious choices should be imposed on others.

Corey Booker was a big supporter of Chabad and you can watch videos of him speaking at Chabad events. He also made a quiet visit at 2 am to the Rebbe's ohel before he announced. I don't think he hates religion.
Back to top

marina




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:21 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Which answers my question about supporting specific candidates based on issues and not just because they belong to the part. Can you name some? And is there any Conservative or Republican you would consider voting for at all today (based on 2016 primaries)?


My favorites have always been Cory and Pete, I don’t believe either of them support BDS.

I voted for Kasich in the 2016 Primaries in Ohio. He’s a decent stand up republican guy, even though like I said, I disagree with him abt some important issues including abortion.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:26 pm
marina wrote:
what does that mean? You’ve never seen a youtube clip? The three year olds in court is a well known problem.


I don't like watching videos. I have never scrolled through one. I have maybe watched 20 clips in my life.

6 of Wands said that 3 year olds are representing themselves in court. I don't find that a credible statement.

ETA: I have been doing some reading on this. I am finding this hard to process.
Back to top

Ravenclaw




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Oct 08 2019, 4:19 pm
Fox wrote:
I must say, this has been a very eye-opening thread for me, though not in the way that many posters likely intended.


Now I’m curious...
Back to top

Laiya




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 1:03 am
Squishy wrote:
I don't like watching videos. I have never scrolled through one. I have maybe watched 20 clips in my life.

6 of Wands said that 3 year olds are representing themselves in court. I don't find that a credible statement.

ETA: I have been doing some reading on this. I am finding this hard to process.


Re your ETA, this is the Ninth Circuit decision:
https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/d.....1.pdf

It seems to be saying that unaccompanied minor children aren't entitled to free legal representation at the state's expense; that would over-burden an already over-burdened system, encourage more children to come alone into the country, etc.
Back to top

Laiya




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 1:13 am
roses wrote:
Had Mitt Romney won the nomination, I would have voted for him. Or pretty much any of the others, except for Ted Cruz. I felt that it was a real shame that Trump barrelled over the reasonable steady Republican candidates.


Imo, any real Republican national contender will always be destroyed by the media such that he will no longer be seen as decent by the time he wins.

They did this to Bush #2 (who remembers the hitler y"sh comparisons?), etc
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 1:23 am
Laiya wrote:
Imo, any real Republican national contender will always be destroyed by the media such that he will no longer be seen as decent by the time he wins.

They did this to Bush #2 (who remembers the hitler y"sh comparisons?), etc


Romney was also called Hitler. The Dems like Romney now because he is Anti-Trump but any Republican Nominee or President is Hitler, per Fake News and Democrats (same thing)
Back to top

leapyearbaby




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:23 am
Jeanette wrote:
Well, that's where we differ.

I have yet to see a Democratic policy that interferes with my ability to live morally. As to what other people think of my morality, I frankly couldn't care less. But I see a lot of Republicans on this site who despise me and cast aspersions on my Yiddishkeit because of the way I vote. (Not you, groisamomma! Thank you for clarifying!)


I find this interesting. If you followed the wedding cake case at all, you might have noticed that very liberal trends DO affect religious people... they extreme shift to the left of the Democratic Party seems to be resulting in the liberal mindset trumping religious rights any day. And that’s very scary.
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:30 am
leapyearbaby wrote:
I find this interesting. If you followed the wedding cake case at all, you might have noticed that very liberal trends DO affect religious people... they extreme shift to the left of the Democratic Party seems to be resulting in the liberal mindset trumping religious rights any day. And that’s very scary.


The Supreme Court ruled against the baker.

But even cases like these don't affect MY ability to live a moral lifestyle. At worst they affect my ability to impose my moral standards on others. Maybe you see that as essential to living a moral lifestyle. I don't.

I work in healthcare. I have patients who are gay or transgender. I can't say I fully understand what makes people transgender or what's the best way to treat it. But when they're my patients they have just as much right to healthcare as anyone else and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. When they need counseling I try to refer them to someone with expertise in gender identity disorders. I'm not in that field so I haven't been in a position that I have to directly counsel people to do things that I believe are against the Torah. I'd be interested in hearing from frum Jews who do work in mental health how they handle it.

There are shailas that come up when you work in healthcare. Like if you have to remove someone from life support. Or assisting in an abortion. You ask a rav what to do and follow his guidance. And sometimes following halacha might get in the way of getting a certain job or working in a certain area. Most jobs in healthcare require working on shabbos so it can be very hard. Still, I don't think my need to follow halacha should get in the way of someone else getting the healthcare they need.
Back to top

itsmeima




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:08 am
I like this question..

Probably if they’d literally turn their backs to Israel in time of war, the way Trump has now done to the Kurds...

And of course, freedom of religion, speech etc.
(If they'd nationally ban bris milah I'd probably vote R. If they’d nationally ban abortion I'd vote D. It's tricky because they both affect freedom of religion)


Last edited by itsmeima on Thu, Oct 10 2019, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What's Your Red Line?
by roses
107 Yesterday at 9:31 am View last post
Eternity Band prongs make fingers red
by amother
1 Tue, Oct 01 2019, 10:54 pm View last post
by zaq
Red cabbage salad without vinegar? 2 Sun, Sep 29 2019, 8:52 am View last post
ISO blouse for sleeveless sheath dress ON-LINE
by amother
17 Mon, Aug 26 2019, 8:46 pm View last post
Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits 1 Thu, Aug 01 2019, 10:52 am View last post

Jump to: