Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Liver transplant
Previous  1  2

DVOM

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 6:41 am
Thank you, everyone, for your kindness and support. I'm bumping this up...

Firstly, Dankbar, I hope I didn't make you feel bad. I didn't mean to. I also had no idea that you can donate your liver. This journey has been eye opening! I hope all your family members have made a full recovery.

Kidney donation is apparently a totally different flavor of ice cream. Shorter, less complex surgery, hospital stay, and recovery. A friend of mine donated a kidney; she was out of work for three weeks. The transplant team has told me to plan on being out of work for 3-4 months. The recovery time is aparently hinged to the amount of liver they need to take. They can take as little as 30% in some cases. For my brother in law they are going to need over double that amount.

Thank you for the tip about Rabbi Simon. I am going to contact him. I guess I was hoping to talk with a woman (I'm being picky here, I know!)

Liver donors, anyone? I would really love someone with real-life experience to talk to.

shirabira

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 6:58 am
I was a kidney donor .
You are correct in all you have said about liver donation. I know you want to speak with someone who has donated a part of their liver, so I'll just chie in to say that the high you feel after donating is amazing! You were zoche to give life to one of Hashem's children. What a zechus!

pinkpeonies

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:13 am
dankbar wrote:
You probably don't mean liver. Liver everyone's only got one of you.
While you are alive you can't donate a liver

No livers can be donated. They only take a small part and it actually regenerates it’s amazing!

OP, have you been in touch woth RENEWAL? They may have a program to put you in touch with other donors.
You are amazing! Tizku lmitzvis!

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:48 am
donors & recepients of bone marrow ( if it's not family that you arrange) are not allowed to know each other's identity, legally, till one year post transplant.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:26 pm
DVOM may it all go smoothly & with much hatzlacha & pain free as possible...
If you would like to share names here or by pm so we can daven for the hatzlacha of it.
I also wonder if renewal would know of liver donors. even though their focus is on kidneys I would still give them a try to see if this has crossed their path as well.
Also, I believe the current Skulene'r Rebbi had a liver transplant a couple of years ago- so please reach out for a special bracha as he's btdt...
Again, wishing you much hatzlacha and may it be a big zchus for you and family and a gantze refuah to your bil.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:49 pm
You are really special. Praying that it goes smooth and you have an easy recovery.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:52 pm
Hashem should send you and your brother-in-law much strength & healing!!!

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:59 pm
I would recommend reaching out to Chaya Lipschutz
(917) 627-8336
I think she works for Renewal, but I could be mistaken. I know that she works as a shadchan for kidney and liver transplants and would definitely be available to speak to you and to introduce you to people who have donated.
Tizku li'mitzvot

happyone

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:34 pm
kol.hakovod to you. please join this Facebook page of other donors that can walk and support you through the process.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/588973681237149

harriet

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:00 am
shirabira wrote:
I was a kidney donor .
You are correct in all you have said about liver donation. I know you want to speak with someone who has donated a part of their liver, so I'll just chie in to say that the high you feel after donating is amazing! You were zoche to give life to one of Hashem's children. What a zechus!

Another kidney donor here... as you are aware, it’s on a smaller scale than liver donation but just want to agree with shirabira that the feeling of being able to help someone in such a life altering way can’t be beat. I am so grateful I was given the opportunity and iyH you will be too. I am in awe. Kol hakavod!

crl

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:46 am
Wow, tizku lmitzvos. What community do you live in? When you get the surgery, maybe we can set up a meal train for you or something. When I had my appendectomy that didn’t go smoothly, I was out of work for 7 weeks and we didn’t have to worry about meals for a long time because of our community. We didn’t advertise it so our closest friends rotated a lot so if you need any additional help, please let us know!

I didn’t have a liver transplant bur I did have major abdominal surgery. I do know someone who’s mother donated her liver to her; I don’t know how the mothers recovery went (I understand that they’re both fine now bh) but the recipient was recovering for a full year. Your reason for surgery is far more noble than mine, but if I can be helpful with any post-op organ loss perspective please let me know.

DVOM

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 6:33 am
shirabira wrote:
I was a kidney donor .

First, thanks everyone for the replies and leads... my husband and I will be meeting next week with a liver donor and his wife.

Shirabira, thank you for your perspective. Right now I'm feeling a lot of fear. The evaluation is purposely designed to highlight the risks of the surgery and the very difficult recovery and it's gotten me very anxious. Thank you for the reminder of why I'm doing this!

DVOM

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 6:34 am
happyone wrote:
kol.hakovod to you. please join this Facebook page of other donors that can walk and support you through the process.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/588973681237149

Thank you! This is really helpful!

DVOM

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 6:45 am
crl wrote:
Wow, tizku lmitzvos. What community do you live in? When you get the surgery, maybe we can set up a meal train for you or something. When I had my appendectomy that didn’t go smoothly, I was out of work for 7 weeks and we didn’t have to worry about meals for a long time because of our community. We didn’t advertise it so our closest friends rotated a lot so if you need any additional help, please let us know!

I didn’t have a liver transplant bur I did have major abdominal surgery. I do know someone who’s mother donated her liver to her; I don’t know how the mothers recovery went (I understand that they’re both fine now bh) but the recipient was recovering for a full year. Your reason for surgery is far more noble than mine, but if I can be helpful with any post-op organ loss perspective please let me know.

Refuah Shelayma! I'm sorry to hear about your complicated surgery!

Your offer of help and the previous poster's offer to daven is very thoughtful. I'm so emotional these days it actually brought tears to my eyes. I live in Lakewood. I have wonderful friends and neighbors, but I'm sure I'm going to need a lot of help! For various reasons the surgery can't happen for a few months, we're looking at mid-December. When it gets closer, I will definitely post names (mine and the recipiant) for Tehillim and I'm going to be saying yes to any help offered. Thank you!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 7:36 am
After Succot I'm bli neder taking a list of names to the Kotel to daven. PM me your name and I'll add you to my list. Add your relative's name too, if it's OK with them.

Everyone's already said it, but I'll say it again. You are amazing! You should be showered with brochas for the rest of your life.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 8:33 am
I know a woman who donated a kidney through Project Renewal and was sent to the New Square kimpeturin home to recover for a couple of weeks.
Is there an option like that for you?

DVOM

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 10:07 am
southernbubby wrote:
I know a woman who donated a kidney through Project Renewal and was sent to the New Square kimpeturin home to recover for a couple of weeks.
Is there an option like that for you?

I'm not sure, southernbubby. It would be great if there was an organization to provide support to liver donors.

Does anyone have any leads? Does Project Renewal only support kidney donors or liver donors too?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics