Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Why does dd throw up when she fasts?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:03 am
DD is a terrible faster. She’s in her low teens. She’s a little underweight and not so physically strong. She’s tried fasting a few times and it resulted in her getting very sick. By midday she starts getting nauseous and eventually throws up . Even when I insisted she breaks her fast, she is still throwing up the rest of the day (after drinking). This year I gave her lots of vitamins the days before Yom Kippur and she drank lots of Powerade. She still got weak, nauseous and was throwing up.
Does anyone else have this? Why does this happen to her?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:41 am
Could it be low blood sugar?

My4Jewels

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:46 am
I wish I knew why but it happens to me too. I’m not in my low teens and not underweight. It’s horrible and I’m sorry your dd is going through this.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:58 am
Can be pain, or simply the body doesn't know how to handle. My mom was extremely sick

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:04 am
I have this although I'm also older, 38. It's an awful thing to go through. When I throw up in YK I burn my mouth from the stomach acids which is so painful, that I cannot eat properly for 3 weeks.
This year I followed Rabbi Ischayeks program which involves eating a massive amount of protein and loads of liquid from 2 days before. Although I was extremely nauseous, I managed to hold out without throwing up. Even after the fast, I can only tolerate water and minimal food till next morning.
I think the nausea comes from dehydration. I am also very thin.
If I were you, I would consult with a doctor about this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:07 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I have this although I'm also older, 38. It's an awful thing to go through. When I throw up in YK I burn my mouth from the stomach acids which is so painful, that I cannot eat properly for 3 weeks.
This year I followed Rabbi Ischayeks program which involves eating a massive amount of protein and loads of liquid from 2 days before. Although I was extremely nauseous, I managed to hold out without throwing up. Even after the fast, I can only tolerate water and minimal food till next morning.
I think the nausea comes from dehydration. I am also very thin.
If I were you, I would consult with a doctor about this.

All these years while you were throwing up, you still had to fast?
I’m wondering if doing shiurim on Yom Kippur is an option?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:09 am
I only fast YK. When pregnant I did shiurim.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:12 am
I get sick with shiurim too. The night you don't do shiurim so you wake up sick (less)

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:16 am
some people get more naseous on empty stomach

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:40 am
I always had this and didn't think to go to a doctor about it until I was an adult . Turns out I get hypoglycemia if I go too long without eating . Typically if someone is vomitting they are already dehydrated and I have been allowed to do shiurim and I stay in bed most of the day (and yes my husband's mitzvah is to stay home with the kids unless we find a babysitter as it is more important for me to fast than for him to daven with a minyan as weird as that feels ).He

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:41 am
I am already in bed on shiurim. Sometimes there is nothing to do.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 6:03 am
I did this for years. It’s dehydration

Make sure she hydrate she properly in the 3-5 days before. A bottle of Gatorade or vitamin water per day, for 3-5 days before the fast should do the trick

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 6:06 am
People throw up while fasting for many different reasons. It could be stress. It could be your liver freaking out. It could be dehydration.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 6:32 am
Ruchy
el wrote:
I am already in bed on shiurim. Sometimes there is nothing to do.

Maybe an IV would help it.

rzab

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:19 am
I was like this all through my teenage years. Now I'm not the best faster but I usually can manage. To be honest, yesterday I did throw up once towards the end of the day but then I felt better. My father spends the whok6day throwing up, I think some people are just better fasters then others

dv

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:23 am
Im still like this with heart palpitations to go with it and I’m 38, now I do shiurim and in bed all day and I still throw up sometimes after the fast and it takes a couple of days till I can eat normally

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:23 am
Had same thing-very uncomfortable
Since I started drinking 3 days in advance fresh young coconut water-a lot -bh not have it

This year yom koppur I only got hold of 1 regular (not young) coconut & was nauseous vomit feeling-like warm liquid going up & down

& takes time to recover-2-3 days as well

I do have digestion issues though

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 8:52 am
It's a sign of dehydration. Speak to a Rav.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 8:55 am
Vitamins can make people nauseous, how many vitamins did she take?

Before you call the rav you should talk to her doctor.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:00 am
my daughter is 16. She has fasted Y"K since 11 and has only not thrown up one year. She has never done shiurim cuz her life is not in danger. My father, who is on chemo, did shirum for drinking since he needs to drink 2 quarts a day to remove the poison from his body. Just b/c one throws up doesn't mean he is in danger. My daughter threw up several times yesterday at around 5pm. She lay down but still didn't feel well and after the fast was over, threw up several more times. She felt better after that and was able to eat and drink some. I have learned over the years with myself and others that there is no point in giving to eat or drink after throwing up unless said person feels hungry and better. Otherwise it'll just come back up again.
Does your daughter have this trouble with other fasts or just Y"K? For my daughter and myself, we are fine on Tisha B'av; we have problems on Y"K even w/o going to shul.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note