Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Why does dd throw up when she fasts?
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:05 am
BTW, we both drank TONS the days leading up to the fast. That didn't make a difference for us. The thing that made a big difference for my husband is just eating pasta before the fast as opposed to a chicken meal - even boiled chicken. For years he fasted terribly. Since he changed what he ate at the last meal (and this is going back many years now) he has been fine. So maybe change the food she is eating the day before.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:06 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
my daughter is 16. She has fasted Y"K since 11 and has only not thrown up one year. She has never done shiurim cuz her life is not in danger. My father, who is on chemo, did shirum for drinking since he needs to drink 2 quarts a day to remove the poison from his body. Just b/c one throws up doesn't mean he is in danger. My daughter threw up several times yesterday at around 5pm. She lay down but still didn't feel well and after the fast was over, threw up several more times. She felt better after that and was able to eat and drink some. I have learned over the years with myself and others that there is no point in giving to eat or drink after throwing up unless said person feels hungry and better. Otherwise it'll just come back up again.
Does your daughter have this trouble with other fasts or just Y"K? For my daughter and myself, we are fine on Tisha B'av; we have problems on Y"K even w/o going to shul.

Shiurim could help her to prevent the dehydration in the first place. If that’s the issue.

Another mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:09 am
Even on a non- fast day, if I don't drink enough I get a headache and sometimes throw up. If it's dehydration, it's not so alarming. But not fun. Good luck!!!

UQT

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 1:07 pm
My son threw up everytime he fasted. The doctor told me bec he is so small for his age his body is not up to fasting and we need to wait until he grows bigger (he still fasted but that was his theory.) Then a friend told me not to let him sleep during the day. He hasn't slept on a fast for 3 years and he hasn't thrown up since.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 5:25 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Maybe an IV would help it.

Haha, do you know the risks of IV? No one here would allow this. I'd rather not fast than endanger myself with an unneeded IV.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 5:26 am
Urgh shiurim are NOT for someone whose life is danger. If life is in danger you are not allowed to fast.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 5:27 am
What are the risks of an IV? I have been considering it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 6:37 am
Ouch. Look into it. It is a medical gesture. At best there's just the pain and discomfort and bruising. At worst, let's not go there (google can tell you, lo alenu). No. Way. The last thing you need is a problem from it while the fast.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 6:53 am
I understand that IV is medical and EVERYTHING we do has risks, but as someone getting IVs on regular basis I disagree with your statement that nobody would concider IVs due to potential risk.
I would consult with a doc, my doc is quite conservative (very experienced) and explained to me benefits/risks, we decided to take the chance. fast forward 8 years - MUCH BETTER Smile b´´H
like every medical decision thais cannot be generalised , nor is this option a good solution for every patient, every case is different, but the method most definitely exists and gets executed on regular basis with relatively few negative consequences (im not gona quiote a study stationg percentage IV fails).

I dont know if it maes a difference, but im located in central europe (different countries obviuously have different medical /health care systems)

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 7:18 am
" I disagree with your statement that nobody would concider IVs due to potential risk."
Who said this? I get IVs every time I give birth. I've had a couple other times iirc. But there is zero, zero way I would do it if not for a medical reason or the potential need for a quick IV c'v (hence why they are given at birth.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 7:55 am
I used to fast fine, after a specific medical situation I could not fast without throwing up bile until I ended up in the hospital. Took a few times to realize that I couldn't fast anymore. Shiurim don't help, once I throw up bile there's no stopping it until iv. Rav told me not to fast anymore.
It's different than your daughter's situation, since you can't attribute it to anything specific, but just wanted to mention it.
Also, drinking tons of water before doesn't prevent dehydration. Your body will expel excess water if drinking too much at once. It has to be consistent drinking over several days throughout the day.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note