Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Why is this ok?
1  2  Next

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:35 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....46932

I was reminded of this from last year today while I was walking in Boro Park. Why is it ok to take up half the street for your shul's Sukka? The [removed] shul on New Utrecht and 53rd was building their sukka about 4 feet past the line of parked cars.Buses were barely getting by. What happens when Hatzala needs to go by on Yom Tov? Is the Gabbai of that shul going to take responsibility for someone's mother dying because they couldn't get to the hospital fast enough? Not to mention me having to push a double stroller by on Yom Tov. Not endangering and inconveniencing tens of thousands of people is worth having to squeeze into a smaller Sukka for your shul. Permit or not, it would be nice to think of other yidden some times... The "Es kimt mich" attitude is disgusting, no you don't "get" to have a 20 foot wide sukka in BP.[b]

Last edited by Ihatepotatoes on Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:42 pm
OP, I'd take out your mention of a specific shul.

It's not only one shul. There are many that do it. I find it frustrating, as well.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:20 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
OP, I'd take out your mention of a specific shul.

It's not only one shul. There are many that do it. I find it frustrating, as well.

I hear that, but to be totally honest I feel like they're the worst. Most other Shuls go up until the curb, and then take away part of the parking area for a walkway. This place goes at least 4 feet past the parked cars. The only way it would change - and I have no illusion that this will happen- is if they become aware that people are not happy with what they are doing.

ally

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:31 pm
https://blogs.timesofisrael.co.....eira/

Used to be an ima member

Mevater

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:32 pm
I hope Hatzalah has a map of streets that are hard to get through on Sukkos.

Do the Shuls take the Sukkos down the day after Sukkos, at least?

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:33 pm
ally wrote:
https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/when-your-sukka-is-an-aveira/

Used to be an ima member

Thanks.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:34 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I hear that, but to be totally honest I feel like they're the worst. Most other Shuls go up until the curb, and then take away part of the parking area for a walkway. This place goes at least 4 feet past the parked cars. The only way it would change - and I have no illusion that this will happen- is if they become aware that people are not happy with what they are doing.

How is this not lashon hora on a rabbim? What happened to Yom Kippur?

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:36 pm
Mevater wrote:
I hope Hatzalah has a map of streets that are hard to get through on Sukkos.

Do the Shuls take the Sukkos down the day after Sukkos, at least?

I hope so.'' This is 4 blocks away from the hospital, so the likelihood of an ambulance getting slowed down are high. But that's not the main issue. The main issue is the high-mindedness of these people who think that they get to inconvenience thousands because they need another 12 feet to make a mezonos after davening. Not enough space on the sidewalk for your whole kehilla? That's unfortunate. I'm so sorry you don't live OOT where you'd have room.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:39 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
How is this not lashon hora on a rabbim? What happened to Yom Kippur?

I mean, we both had Yom Kippur...But I'll take out the name of the shul. Even though I think that public pressure would be the only way to get these thieves to stop.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:46 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I mean, we both had Yom Kippur...But I'll take out the name of the shul. Even though I think that public pressure would be the only way to get these thieves to stop.

Do you think that public pressure being that it is women on imamother will have any effect?

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:51 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Do you think that public pressure being that it is women on imamother will have any effect?

I don't know, I mentioned in my original post that it probably wont. But I asked my husband to bring it up with the guy there tomorrow, and hopefully if enough people complain he'll come to his senses.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:53 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I don't know, I mentioned in my original post that it probably wont. But I asked my husband to bring it up with the guy there tomorrow, and hopefully if enough people complain he'll come to his senses.

Ive been living in BP all my life. I have never seen anyone make their Sukkah smaller to please anyone but the city/police.

sub

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:58 pm
While I totally agree with you, it’s not about making mezonos. It’s about davening in there.
Still getting more and more out of hand.
Try doing this in Wash DC. We ate in a sukka and the restaurant owner said he had to take it down by 10 or get heavy fines.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:00 am
sub wrote:
While I totally agree with you, it’s not about making mezonos. It’s about davening in there.

People daven in the Shul's Sukkah?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:01 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Ive been living in BP all my life. I have never seen anyone make their Sukkah smaller to please anyone but the city/police.

And... lashon hara on a bigger rabbim. I think I'm going to quit imamother as my kabbalah for growth this year - to stay far away from evil speech, slandering, shaming, bitterness, etc.

I admit there are beautiful parts to imamother but this post is an example of the uglier side.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:03 am
And... lashon hara on a bigger rabbim. I think I'm going to quit imamother as my kabbalah for growth this year - to stay far away from evil speech, slandering, shaming, bitterness, etc.

I admit there are beautiful parts to imamother but this post is an example of the uglier side.

You got me all wrong. Unless someone can prove that it has caused even one death over the years, I dont think leaving a Sukkah for a week a year is tragic. Perhaps its inconvenient for people to pass, but its not the end of the world unless it has led to tragedy.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:04 am

I'm sorry, but I don't think people airing legitimate grievances on a forum MADE for literally that exact thing is an example of "It's uglier side".

Ihatepotatoes

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:08 am
sub wrote:
Still getting more and more out of hand.
Try doing this in Wash DC. We ate in a sukka and the restaurant owner said he had to take it down by 10 or get heavy fines.

Men have to daven in a sukka? If they want to say a bracha on their lulav and esrog in the sukka, they could. It'll just have to be on the sidewalk where it isn't hurting others. People don't have to die for it to be a problem. It's a lack of mentchlichkeit by justtaking away the public's property

P.S. What do you think Non-Jews think when they see this? Probably some form of "Those Jews, always etc".......

At least the restaurant owner had the decency to put it up very day and take it down at night.

sub

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:32 am
He did not have decency- he had no choice
Here they get permits. How I don’t know. And how about the honking that is still going on here at this hour. Or people building sukkas at this hour in backyards
I was taught that you don’t do a mitzva on “yenemz cheshbon”
Yes we just came out ofYom kippur, so where is everyone else’s middos?

penguin

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:22 am
If every lady who reads this would call (or get her DH to call) their Rov and ask if you're allowed to complain to the appropriate City agency, I think something would happen.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics