Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Why is this ok?
Previous  1  2

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 3:39 am
It's for the rebbes tish. It's large because he either draws a crowds or is hoping for one. I don't know much about the size of his crowd. My Dh says as far as he knows they have a permit and no parking is allowed on the other side of the street opposite the sukah. If they have a permit I doubt there is anything that will make them reduce the size. I get that it inconveniences people though.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 6:14 am
It is dangerous , all the women who have to walk in the street while pushing stroller because the side walk is unavailable, any handicapped person has to climb up and down , as beautiful as Sukkos is people should rent more space and not use public space .

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:22 pm
Hah. It's not just that shul. There's another one on 45th street that grows by a few feet every year. This year they built until the opposite side parking. Leaving the parking spots for cars to pass. And they by it it before rosh Hashanah already, so it stays up a full month, not just a week.
Nothing anyone says will make a difference. Why in heavens name the city gives permits for this is beyond comprehension.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:27 pm
penguin wrote:
If every lady who reads this would call (or get her DH to call) their Rov and ask if you're allowed to complain to the appropriate City agency, I think something would happen.

If everyone asked their rav if they can report it, the answer would still be a resounding no.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:41 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I hope so.'' This is 4 blocks away from the hospital, so the likelihood of an ambulance getting slowed down are high. But that's not the main issue. The main issue is the high-mindedness of these people who think that they get to inconvenience thousands because they need another 12 feet to make a mezonos after davening. Not enough space on the sidewalk for your whole kehilla? That's unfortunate. I'm so sorry you don't live OOT where you'd have room.

It might not even be a kosher sukkah that they are making mezonos in. There's a halacha that if one takes away public space for their sukkah without leaving a walkway for people to be able to walk by, then one cannot make a layshev b'sukkah in that sukkah.

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 8:19 pm
I can’t stand it. And then there are some that “nicely” make an opening on either side for people to pass through but then you’re literally walking through a sukkah and if you do that whilst someone is inside they freak out.

I can’t stand the attitude I can’t stand this time of year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics