Home

Which fast is harder for you - YK or Tisha b'Av?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 6:59 pm
Obviously both are 24 hours, but the start and end times vary somewhat, as do the activities we spend the days doing. Which fast do you find more challenging and why?

amother

Tangerine

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Obviously both are 24 hours, but the start and end times vary somewhat, as do the activities we spend the days doing. Which fast do you find more challenging and why?

Not even close. Yk is harder for me. I go to shul part of the day and no Electronics to pass the time. Tisha b'av does end later but I can pass the time watching something.

amother

Ivory

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:04 pm
Tbav is way harder, and I'm in the southern hemisphere so it's not the end time. It's a sad miserable day and there is nothing to do to distract yourself. YK on the other hand is so uplifting, beautiful davening, honestly it's easy in comparison.

allthingsblue

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:05 pm
Yom Kippur.
Firstly, tisha bav is easier to get a heter to break the fast if not feeling well. Also, the kids can watch a video or go to a tisha bav day camp etc.
Yom Kippur is a day when I have to entertain the kids while I'm tired and weak, no videos allowed...
But the rewarding feeling after a Yom Kippur is like none other.

Raisin

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:05 pm
Yom kippur for sure. Its much harder to entertain kids on yom kippur and on tisha bav I can keep myself busy working or baking or cooking.

amother

Yellow

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:09 pm
Yom Kippur.

No electronics = no distractions.

Can't take the kids out because no eiruv.

Much more obligations with regard to prayer.

Yes, it's usually hotter on Tisha B'Av, but the day passes much more quickly.

cozyblanket

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:12 pm
My husband can't help with the kids on YK. That's much harder.

amother

Burgundy

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 8:03 pm
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Each has its pluses and minuses.

YK is often cold, which helps a lot. Fasting in the heat is hellacious. YK ends earlier in the day, which is also easier. I walk into YK freshly showered, shampooed and laundered. Despite the physical discomfort, YK is not a depressing day of national mourning for every tragedy we’ve endured for the past 2500 years or so. 3300 if you count Chet Hameraglim which started the whole mess in the first place.

I tear up when we read about Aseret Harugei Hamalchut and at Yizkor and finished. I can respond to greetings with more than a weak embarrassed sad smile, forced to do so because someone didn’t know any better than to say hello. On YK I sit like a normal person on a normal bench and don’t court more back trouble sitting on the floor or knee trouble perching on a footstool.

On the flip side, on TBA I can take the elevator up to my fifth-floor apt., I can turn on a fan or a/c. I don’t have to be in shul the whole entire day. Past chatzot the restrictions ease up a drop. And if G-d forbid I mess up, the penalty is not karet.

miami85

Post  Thu, Oct 10 2019, 8:13 pm
I would say Tisha B'av. It starts later and ends later, and usually hotter. For me I'm "full" from the Seudah hamafsekes b4 YK and that lasts me until bedtime and then it when I get up it's shacharis & mussaf, nap, mincha and neilah I'm always in shul so I find that the day just goes quicker. On Tisha B'av I try not to spend it meaningfully, no games/killing time on phone either. Now that there's the Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation videos and Torah Anytime, I've been finding it much easier to get through Tisha B'av.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur