Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Bosch or bread machine
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 8:50 am
My mixer probably needs to be replaced because dough keeps getting stuck on top, and then becoming moldy and falling out into the next batch... eww... I tried cleaning it out but it's impossible.
Do I get a Bosch or a bread maker? I've been making a whole wheat challah recipe with 9 cups of flour, so I'm not making 5 lbs... I want something that'll yield a delicious product. Any thoughts? And if I should go with a bread machine, any recommendations?

precious

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 9:35 am
I think the max for a bread machine is 6 cups.

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 9:42 am
I have never had a Bosch or even looked into one and I don't know how it works, but I love my bread machine.
Put all the ingredients in and come back 2 hours later. Braid, do something else (about 1/2 hour) and bake.
Down side, it only makes 5 cups, so I will run it 2x Erev Yom Tov.

(I used to make challah (with a bracha) complete by hand but gave it up a few years ago.)

esuss

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 10:08 am
I have a Bosch and am happy with it. I could make 6 lb of flour in it. It makes enough challah that it lasts 3-4 weeks. Very easy to use and clean.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 10:10 am
If you only want to make 9 cups get the 6 qt kitchen aid. It’s fine for that much challah and I like it much better than the Bosch for all other baking. If you ever plan to switch to making 5 lb of challah the Bosch is def worth the investment.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 10:57 am
When my kids get older I might want to make 5 lb at a time but for now, a small recipe is good.
I rarely use it for other baking but that's a good point- with a bread machine I can't bake anything else.

Kitchen aid is more expensive no?

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 10:58 am
I had a bread machine and then replaced it with a Bosch. The only advantage the bread machine really has is that it can bake it for you. If you are not using that feature I’d for sure go with the bosch. I love that I can make 6lbs at a time. The Bosch however is way more expensive.

ez-pass

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 11:02 am
Never had a bread machine but love my Bosch. Makes six pounds. I make both white and whole wheat in it.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 11:10 am
allthingsblue wrote:
When my kids get older I might want to make 5 lb at a time but for now, a small recipe is good.
I rarely use it for other baking but that's a good point- with a bread machine I can't bake anything else.

Kitchen aid is more expensive no?

In that case I would get the bosch if you think you might get it eventually. I don't have a bosch but I have had a magic mill for over 15 years already. I make 6lbs of challah and triple batches of cakes and cookies.

I make amazing challah in my bread machine but a very small amount so I haven't used it for years.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 11:47 am
ez-pass wrote:
Never had a bread machine but love my Bosch. Makes six pounds. I make both white and whole wheat in it.

Do you use the white bowl or stainless steel?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:14 pm
My bread machine basically sits in the cabinet. The Bosch is much more useful. I really like mine.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My bread machine basically sits in the cabinet. The Bosch is much more useful. I really like mine.

Yea I think that makes the most sense! Thanks

ez-pass

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 3:09 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Do you use the white bowl or stainless steel?

Stainless feel bowl

gold2

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:55 am
how easy is it to clean the bread machine versus the bosch? am also deciding between the two.

M0mmy

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 10:24 am
gold2 wrote:
how easy is it to clean the bread machine versus the bosch? am also deciding between the two.

I don't have a bread machine (though I've used one in the past), and I'm sure it depends on which one in terms of how easy it is to clean. Usually, though, once dough is mixed enough to become 1 unit, the bowl (of any mixer, or when doing by hand) is pretty easy to clean...

Word of caution about the Bosch: I've used a number of them (other people's and my own), and the attachments for the white bowl will end up releasing grease into your dough after a number of uses (hand wash or machine wash, no difference), even when you're very good about cleaning them. I stopped using mine, and when I have the money, I plan to replace with a SS bowl, as I've heard really good reviews, and haven't heard that people are having the same issue with that bowl (though many have had the same problem with the other arrangement).

My other main complaint about cleaning the Bosch is that there are crevices on the outer ring cover that are difficult to clean, even with toothpicks, as there are bends, etc. The OCD in me gets frustrated, but I haven't really noticed it being a real problem. (Maybe I'll try using something like a pipe cleaner in the future, which I think would probably get at it better.)

Hatzlacha!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 11:16 am
Wilton makes these very narrow brushes that are flexible (to clean their decorating tips). I use them for nipples/sippy cups as well as Bosch bowl crevices.

M0mmy

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 11:50 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Wilton makes these very narrow brushes that are flexible (to clean their decorating tips). I use them for nipples/sippy cups as well as Bosch bowl crevices.

Good idea! Thanks Smile

gold2

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:05 pm
Thank you m0mmy Smile Smile

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:11 pm
The advantage with a Bosch machine over a bread maker is that a Bosch can be used for all baking needs vs. a bread machine can only be used for bread. You get more for your money from a bosch.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 12:13 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Are there a lot of crevices (stainless steel)?
The whole reason I would purchase the Bosch is because I hated that dough got stuck in my old upright mixer, got moldy and gross.
I haven't made challah since I started this thread- was going to purchase the Bosch with the stainless steel bowl.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads