Home

Checking small Leafy Vegetables on Shabbos and YT?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP


Post  Sat, Oct 12 2019, 8:30 pm
1- Can I check small Leafy Vegetables on Shabbos and Y"T , with daylight, or must this be done before Shabbos?

2- What does Kitzur Shulchan Aruch say about using a Colander to rinse fruits and vegetables (that dont need checking) on Shabbos and Yom Tov?
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:09 am
b u m p
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 5:19 am
Pretty sure it’s a problem of borrer
Back to top

Rappel




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 5:26 am
teachkids wrote:
Pretty sure it’s a problem of borrer


Problem resolved if you take off a desirable chunk of the leaf along with anything questionable.
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 6:14 am
Rappel wrote:
Problem resolved if you take off a desirable chunk of the leaf along with anything questionable.


But the collendar is a problem still
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 6:50 am
So those who do checking, have to check all leafy greens used in advance of a 2 or 3 day Yom Tov, before Yom Tov?
Back to top

amother




Azure


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So those who do checking, have to check all leafy greens used in advance of a 2 or 3 day Yom Tov, before Yom Tov?


Borer is not a problem on y"t
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:19 am
Can someone please tell me how to properly check small leafy greens, specifically, on Yom Tov?

Checking small leaves like baby spinach or kale is different than checking large romaine leaves individually that can be brought to a window?
Back to top

amother




Azure


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone please tell me how to properly check small leafy greens, specifically, on Yom Tov?

Checking small leaves like baby spinach or kale is different than checking large romaine leaves individually that can be brought to a window?


https://oukosher.org/content/u.....0.gif
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:51 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
https://oukosher.org/content/uploads/2012/12/bugchart640.gif


"Check leaves under direct light", Id be at the window all day checking each small leaf of baby spinach, one by ones, instead of during the week when I do the thrip cloth method and look at whats on the thrip cloth, not individual leaves.
Back to top

teachkids




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So those who do checking, have to check all leafy greens used in advance of a 2 or 3 day Yom Tov, before Yom Tov?


You asked shabbos. Rules for yt are a bit different with borrer. Ask your lor.

If you dry well (in a spinner) and put papertowels in the bag they last though.
Back to top

amother




Purple


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
"Check leaves under direct light", Id be at the window all day checking each small leaf of baby spinach, one by ones, instead of during the week when I do the thrip cloth method and look at whats on the thrip cloth, not individual leaves.


You can check under your kitchen light, doesn't must be a window.
But this is why I buy bagged spinach for shabbos and Yom tov...kale I just rinse very thoroughly but I know it isnt necessarily the right thing.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:24 am
Is there anywhere that sells pre- checked parsley
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:30 am
teachkids wrote:
You asked shabbos. Rules for yt are a bit different with borrer. Ask your lor.


The Rov I asked said to ask someone who is more of an expert in checking.

Anyhow OU has one Psak for everyone, and we accept OU Psaks.

So following OU, can I check Baby Spinach on Yom Tov?

Im asking for those times that I want to check more leafy greens like Babby Spinach on Y"T, because I havent checked enough before.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:59 am
Checking vegetables, removing undesirables, and using a colander are all allowed on Yom Tov. Not on shabbos.
Back to top

amother




OP


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
Checking vegetables, removing undesirables, and using a colander are all allowed on Yom Tov. Not on shabbos.


Thanks ra_mom, you always come through for me w the answer Im looking for!

A git gebentcht yur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks ra_mom, you always come through for me w the answer Im looking for!

A git gebentcht yur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To you too!!
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Motze shabbos menu
by mum22
11 Yesterday at 11:41 pm View last post
Pizza store in Catskills open Motzei Shabbos 2 Yesterday at 11:35 pm View last post
Erev Shabbos Master Checklist
by amother
11 Yesterday at 5:38 pm View last post
Shabbos Bnos in Boro Park
by amother
1 Yesterday at 2:40 pm View last post
Shabbos Chanukah house rental near NYC
by amother
11 Tue, Nov 19 2019, 12:01 am View last post

Jump to: