Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Who else hasn't started cooking ?
1  2  3  Next

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 5:45 am
Make me feel better over here .. I did shopping on Friday , Thursday was recuperating from Yom Kippur and getting over strep. Our sukkah is half built so my husband is going to be busy all day finishing it. Only thing I made so far is challah and planning to run to the bakery and buy desert. Guests for 2 meals.
Help!
Post simple recipes below or just show me I am not the only one .

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 5:50 am
I haven't gone shopping yet. The supermarket was packed motzi Shabbos. Do you feel better?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 6:10 am
Yes😂. Misery loved company

DVOM

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 6:17 am
My head is so not screwed on this year... I have made some stuff, but I will be doing a lot of cooking on yom tov. My aim today is to clean the house, get the laundry done, get all the linen on, make a meal for tonight, and make sure all food supplies are in the house. That's it. I'm having a family of 8 for the first days. Take deep breaths, OP. We're going to be fine.

Teomima

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 6:30 am
I also haven't started cooking. I'm not even 100% sure of my menu yet. And I'm about to leave the house for a couple of hours. It's definitely going to be one of those totally last minute chagim.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:03 am
I haven’t even shopped yet. Or written a menu. I’m writing the grocery list for my husband right now.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:07 am
I think no matter when you start you just never finish. Why do I want to make more stuff on erev even though I started earlier?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:51 am
I am thinking of turning shabbos left overs into one meal.. no reason why not . Chicken isn't bad after being served once . 😂 so 1 down . Meat and chicken is in the sink defrosting. Bakery opens at 9. Washing machine and dish washer running full speed. What am I missing ?
Oh yeah, our sukkah . My husband is at home depot now.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:56 am
DVOM wrote:
My head is so not screwed on this year... I have made some stuff, but I will be doing a lot of cooking on yom tov. My aim today is to clean the house, get the laundry done, get all the linen on, make a meal for tonight, and make sure all food supplies are in the house. That's it. I'm having a family of 8 for the first days. Take deep breaths, OP. We're going to be fine.

DVOM didn't you have your menu all figured on other thread, earlier?

Aylat

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:00 am
dankbar wrote:
I think no matter when you start you just never finish. Why do I want to make more stuff on erev even though I started earlier?

This. Work expands to fit the time available.

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:07 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Yes😂. Misery loved company

But I am not miserable. I will be happy company. I love yom tovim. I am finalizing my shopping list now. I will also see what looks particularly good in the supermarkets. I am having a large family for company. All is good. Sukkos is a favorite holiday of mine.

Maybe you should come here and cheer up. Cheers

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:18 am
I'm also joining this last minute party! With Squishy, though, not miserable.

I hope to catch up on dishes and laundry, and make at least the Challah and cake before Yom Tov starts. Not really having much more ambition than that! Last night, in addition to procrastinating, I finalized my menu. I am out of a few ingredients, hope someone has time to go shopping!

Gut Yom Tov everyone!

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:26 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I'm also joining this last minute party! With Squishy, though, not miserable.

I hope to catch up on dishes and laundry, and make at least the Challah and cake before Yom Tov starts. Not really having much more ambition than that! Last night, in addition to procrastinating, I finalized my menu. I am out of a few ingredients, hope someone has time to go shopping!

Gut Yom Tov everyone!

Good of you to join.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:29 am
Make small red potatoes
They are easy. Dice onions, mix with salt oil and white wine. Bake covered 2 hours. Then you can mix and uncover if you want. Turkey salad is great.

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:26 am
Chicken and Rice
Put 1 1/4 cups rice in pan
Add 3 cups of water

add:
a dash of salt,
a tsp chicken soup mix and a tsp onion soup mix,
mix in pan
put chicken on top
sprinkle garlic powder, paprika and duck sauce over everything
cover and bake for an hour and a half.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:06 am
Not joining your party but my cleaning helped canceled and I have 3 high maintenance kids at home all day. Running on little sleep and did I mention my cleaning help canceled? She WOKE me up tell me she isn't coming. Couldn't be more cruel than that.

Anyway.
I'm down 2 mains.
I think I'll just prepare some cutlets for dh to put on the grill before yom tov.It is surprisingly moist and reheats well.

Take a big bowl
As many cutlets as you want.
Mayo
Paprika
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Dash of white pepper
A decent amount of Salt.
Squart of honey

Ill also put in some zucchini and yellow squash and maybe some more veggies.
Mix and stick into the grill. Don't overdo. Rewarm on a blech or however u warm up your food.
That's on meal.

Another, coat cutlets in flour, spray oil. Do any Chinese style tomato / brown sugar thingy. Whatever ur family likes. Add veggies. Bake.
Sprinkle sesame when done Yum.

DVOM

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:12 am
dankbar wrote:
DVOM didn't you have your menu all figured on other thread, earlier?

Yes...but that's as far as I got! I have some stuff in the freezer, but some of those meals have gotten eaten since then🤪. I'm much calmer now though. I just went shopping. We'll be just fine!

turca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:13 am
I’ve just started making stuffed grape leaves... but when u have an army at home, they also get to work!
Yes, Syrian guys could be very helpful!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:28 am
Half an hour to go, waiting to cook pasta at the last minute so it won't be soggy.

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:33 am
Just got back from food shopping. We aren't alone. There's plenty of people still buying groceries who can join our party.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics