Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Type of oil: potato kugel
1  2  Next

salamanca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:02 am
For all you expert potato kugel makers: I don't use olive oil in baked goods as I don't like the taste. I use canola oil. How about potato kugel? Does olive oil ruin the taste or is that what you use?
Thanks and a good Y"T!

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:08 am
I only like the taste of canola oil. That’s what I use and just have one piece of kugel. Anyway you slice it, it’s not healthy. Everything in moderation…

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:16 am
I use Costco olive oil (it's a mix of evoo and light oo) and it's amazing. Not that it makes it much healthier to eat.. But still good

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:19 am
Canola

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:21 am
Usually Canola but I use Walnut on Pesach and it comes out amazing.

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:27 am
salamanca wrote:
For all you expert potato kugel makers: I don't use olive oil in baked goods as I don't like the taste. I use canola oil. How about potato kugel? Does olive oil ruin the taste or is that what you use?
Thanks and a good Y"T!

I use olive oil for everything except for baking and potato kugel!

salamanca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:31 am
Thanks so much! Glad I asked. By the way, on an old thread, someone referenced this recipe: https://cookingwithtantrums.co.....ugel/ For those who use it, and for those who just know about these things, do you think 1/2 cup of oil is enough if you add additional eggs or something else instead?

salamanca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:55 am
in case it matters, I hope to bake it for only 1 hour at 450 and then lower the oven to 350 so that I can put in chicken. It can be at 350 up to 1 hour and 25 minutes if necessary.

pizza4

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:37 am
I put a bit more than a half cup of oil. But I put in 7 or 8 eggs.

salamanca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:39 am
pizza4 wrote:
I put a bit more than a half cup of oil. But I put in 7 or 8 eggs.

Thanks, pizza4. Do you use the recipe in the link? Do you bake it at 450 the whole time or lower it after an hour or so? I will use russet as the recipe suggests.

pizza4

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:28 pm
Is russet same as Idaho?
I bake it just 350 for little more than 2 hours, close to 3 probably. But that's easier for me than remembering to turn down.

salamanca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:40 pm
pizza4 wrote:
Is russet same as Idaho?
I bake it just 350 for little more than 2 hours, close to 3 probably. But that's easier for me than remembering to turn down.

From what I've read, they are both low moisture potatoes. The recipe said not to squeeze out the water. I hope that's right!

salamanca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:43 pm
btw, is there any way to know that it is done without cutting into it and tasting?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 1:25 pm
pizza4 wrote:
Is russet same as Idaho?

Yes

Librarian

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 3:01 pm
I use Canola but on Pesach I use Vegetable and it tastes richer.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 3:10 pm
Librarian wrote:
I use Canola but on Pesach I use Vegetable and it tastes richer.

Pesach vegetable oil is cottonseed oil. During the year it's soybean oil.

pizza4

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 4:45 pm
salamanca wrote:
From what I've read, they are both low moisture potatoes. The recipe said not to squeeze out the water. I hope that's right!

Right don't drain the water or it'll be too dry. When the top is nice and brown and the 2-2½hour mark passed its probably good. Take a piece and taste!

salamanca

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 5:05 pm
pizza4 wrote:
Right don't drain the water or it'll be too dry. When the top is nice and brown and the 2-2½hour mark passed its probably good. Take a piece and taste!

Thanks!

salamanca

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 9:51 pm
pizza4 wrote:

I landed up baking the kugel (5lbs of potatoes in a 9 x 13 disposable pan) for 450 for just over an hour and at 350 for about 1 1/2 more. The bottom was really burnt. The inside tasted good; the burnt bottom made it very hard to cut pieces. The inside was not underdone. What can I do to prevent the bottom from being burnt? If I bake it at 350 the whole time, Im afraid the middle won't be done. I thought maybe I could squeeze out some of the liquid so that it would be done enough in the middle in 2 1/2 hours at 350?

cbsp

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:02 pm
salamanca wrote:
I landed up baking the kugel (5lbs of potatoes in a 9 x 13 disposable pan) for 450 for just over an hour and at 350 for about 1 1/2 more. The bottom was really burnt. The inside tasted good; the burnt bottom made it very hard to cut pieces. The inside was not underdone. What can I do to prevent the bottom from being burnt? If I bake it at 350 the whole time, Im afraid the middle won't be done. I thought maybe I could squeeze out some of the liquid so that it would be done enough in the middle in 2 1/2 hours at 350?

I do 450 for 1 hour ~20 minutes then 350 for another 1/2 hour if that. And I bake it loaf pans because I like a deeper kugel.

I do not squeeze out any liquid, in fact I add approx 1 cup of seltzer. (I also preheat the oil in the pans and then add it to the batter).

Hatzlachah!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes