Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o s/of criminal shoe prices
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Once again we got off topic and ignored my original question. I have no problem with people buying expensive shoes if they can afford it AND they like frum store/measurements/service/etc. I can afford it, but choose not to.

I am questioning as to why people who need help (financial) and cannot manage on their own, require $100 shoes for their kids. Thanks.

I can only afford to drive a Lexus, should I ask for a Maserati cuz my neighbior has one?

I mean you're asking the same thing everyone asks on imamother. Why do people feel the need to keep up with the Joneses/Schwartzes even if its clearly not in their budget. I think you already know the answer. There is a lot of peer pressure in the frum community and its augmented by the fact that the very wealthy and very not-wealthy live in close quarters because of the need to be walking distance from a Shul.
But thats a larger psychological issue and not exclusive to the frum community. I work in a position where I see people who have things that get repossessed or they get sued for not making their payments on time. I ask the same question as to why someone with a declared income of $21,000 thought they could spent $1,500 on a decorative embellishment for their car. They obviously couldn't afford it, but thats what the norm was where they lived so they felt a need to have it too.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:45 pm
Squishy wrote:
You can buy a measuring device with the heel rest for less than $15. You can make it up on your first pair of shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Measuri.....psc=1

You can buy the metal ones for $56.

This is the best thing I’ve seen on the Internet all day! Thank you so much for posting this!!!

I recently took my mother to an expensive shoe store to have her “fitted” and all they did was measure her with the device, which suggested the wrong size. I was beyond annoyed and disappointed.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:54 pm
watergirl wrote:
You saved me from writing this post. I'm pretty sure I've written it in the past.

Woe to everyone who does not have a heimish shoe store in their town! Even frum people who dont have these stores by them. I really do think these stores sell people a bill of goods... people really are convinced that their kids have hard to fit feet, etc. and these are the only places where they can buy the right shoes. Maybe its true, maybe not. But it really does seem that this is a NY/Lakewood phenomenon. The rest of the country does just fine with regular shoes. No, not "regular shoes bought at Nordstrom for the same price so whats the difference". I mean, regular, "lets go to the Sketchers outlet, there is a BOGO sale" or "lets see what they have at Kohls". We really are doing just as well!

Brooklyn mentality. Only now Brooklyn has spread beyond just Brooklyn..

behappy2

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:29 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
These threads make me wonder: do all non-frum American children wear junky shoes? Do all of them with challenging sizing, suffer with ill-fitting shoes? Is it only possible to purchase quality, well fitting shoes in a frum store, in all of the USA???

I think they do more sneakers which are cheaper and last longer. We do more dress shoes witch are expensive if you want them to last. In general the frum dress code is less casual and in turn more expensive.

Purple2

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:40 am
Did you ever buy shoes in the mall? When I buy air Jordan’s for my boys in the mall or sneaker store, they’re a fortune.
A new pair of adidas isn’t cheap either.
Uggs are also over 100$ a pair.
Many non Jewish kids are spending hundreds of dollars on sneakers and uggs.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 2:20 am
behappy2 wrote:
I think they do more sneakers which are cheaper and last longer. We do more dress shoes witch are expensive if you want them to last. In general the frum dress code is less casual and in turn more expensive.

But there is no reason on Earth that children shouldn't be wearing sneakers. Why pretend that frumkeit requires children to wear shoes that aren't appropriate for play?

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:19 am
behappy2 wrote:

What is frum about wearing dressier shoes and not sneakers? Why cant kids wear sneakers to school? This whole “dress code” is conflating tznius with style preference.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics