Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Shemini atzeret- eating in the sukkah?
Previous  1  2

nchr

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 7:55 pm
We do not eat in the sukkah then, which is generally the norm for the Chassidish world. IME most litvishe people do, however.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:04 pm
We eat in the Succah. My DH said that the Gemara and shulchan Aruch say that you need to sit in the Succah on Shemini Atzeres but you don’t make a bracha of Leisheiv BaSuccah. But obviously the minhag is very different in every circle.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:04 pm
nchr wrote:
We do not eat in the sukkah then, which is generally the norm for the Chassidish world. IME most litvishe people do, however.

I believe this to be true.
The litvish and lubavitch (Chabad) have the minhag of eating in the sukkah (sans bracha)

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:04 pm
Wow, lots of misunderstandings here.

In EY, noone eats in the sukkah, as there it is considered a separate yomtov.

In non-EY, all Jews did always eat in the sukkah in accordance with the Shulchan Aruch that says it is required (required), but chassidim dropped that part, hence, nowadays they do not.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:13 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Wow, lots of misunderstandings here.

In EY, noone eats in the sukkah, as there it is considered a separate yomtov.

In non-EY, all Jews did always eat in the sukkah in accordance with the Shulchan Aruch that says it is required (required), but chassidim dropped that part, hence, nowadays they do not.

Correct in EY you would actually be oiver on Baal Tosef if you ate in the Sukkah on Shemini Atzeres. I think everyone assumed the OP lived in Chutz L’Aretz

samantha87

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:22 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Wow, lots of misunderstandings here...

Incorrect. Both before and after the Shulchan Aruch was written many people had the minhag to not eat in the succah on Shmini Atzeres outside Israel. Or to eat only at night but not after saying tefillas geshem in the morning. Or only during the day but not at night to make a heker. Or just making kiddush and then going inside.

Lately, yeshivas are teaching the Shulchan Aruch (and gemarah, actually) and telling the boys that the minhagim are all wrong.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:26 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
We do.
I don’t think it matters who does and who doesn’t and how common or popular.
You have your minhag. Kids should respect and follow while at home. When away or when married with their own home and family, they can do as they please.

op here- I agree, and its frustrating when they come home from learning and bring psak and ra'ayos from our gedolim and you say its our minhag and they politely with lots of derech eretz say- what if we are all doing it wrong.

On a different note I do find it fascinating learning what others do and why..I am looking at you my chabad friends : )

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:27 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
That's what I thought.
Sounds like OP's asking re chu"l.

yep we are in chu"l

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:28 pm
sub wrote:
We do a gezengen ( a good bye) with kiddush and mezonos.

That's cool- I know people in israel do that on the last day of chol hamoed

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:29 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
This is very much minhag dependent and your son should respect the family minhag. Now, it happens to be, outside of EY, it really is preferable to eat in the sukkah on shmini atzeret, but if it not your minhag to do so, the minhag takes precedence. My husband's family has the minhag to only make kiddush the night of SA, no meal, and then he learned more about the halacha and that this minhag is technically "wrong" but he asked his rav and the rav said that while that's true, he should continue to keep his family's minhag.

Thanks for sharing this...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:33 pm
It is frustrating when you want your kids to be knowledgeable and learned, but then things like this come up and it gets tricky and then they start asking to change other things like ds asked asked if its ok if he switches to pronouncing a tuf as a suf when davening so he can fit in better...I have a hard time with that- who really cares, that's our minhag and if you are not going to be included because you say kotel and not kosel then you don't need that type of person as a friend/rebbi.
FYI- ds has asked all of these things in the most respectful of ways- not putting anyone down.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:43 pm
I would let him. He sees it as a higher level in his personal Ruchnius, what's wrong with that? Just tell him to do it Bli Neder.

At a different time, you should open the discussion about family minhagim, Kibud Av Va'eim, fitting in vs. following your derech, etc.

Ideally, you want him to realize that an even HIGHER level of Ruchnius might be to follow his family minhagim.

But I don't think it's healthy to stunt what he perceives as spiritual growth.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 5:59 am
DrMom wrote:
We don't.

It's a dfferent holiday; it's not Sukkot.

If you live in Israel, OP's question obviously isn't relevant to you.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:01 am
Elfrida wrote:
No.

בסוכות תשבו שבעת ימים.

The mitzvah is only for the seven days of Sukkot. Not on Shmini Atzeret, which is a different chag. Sitting in the sukkah beyind that becomes an issue of baal tosif. It only gets complicated in Chutz l'aretz where you are trying to define what Chag it is. (And even more complicated when you get chutzniks who are only here short term and have to keep two days Yom Tov is Israel...)

The reason to eat in succah on shmini atzeres is because in chul there's always two days yom tov. So shmini atzeres is a mix of two yomim tovim - the extra succos day plus shmini atzeres.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:14 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Are there people who eat in the succah in EY the last day?

You mean last day.
The answer is no. It is an issur deorayta of bal tosif. Deorayta. People are very careful about it.
As for the, OP in matters of halacha minhag doesn't really come to play.
I know very little about the halachas of YT shel galuyot. But if your DS learned that this is actual halacha then that's what he has to do. Doesn't mean you should change your minhag but perhaps learn the issue thoroughly or ask a reputable poske to make sure you're following halacha properly.

pinkpeonies

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:15 am
We have chassidishe Minhagim, so we don’t. My father is litvishe so he does. This is not an issue of a Chumrah, it’s a minhag, so he’s not being extra makpid by eating in the succah.
Minhagim are something to be proud of, it’s a mesorah (something I see on here not to take for granted, as there are so many BTs who don’t have it)

pinkpeonies

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:19 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I would let him. He sees it as a higher level in his personal Ruchnius, what's wrong with that? Just tell him to do it Bli Neder.

At a different time, you should open the discussion about family minhagim, Kibud Av Va'eim, fitting in vs. following your derech, etc.

Ideally, you want him to realize that an even HIGHER level of Ruchnius might be to follow his family minhagim.

But I don't think it's healthy to stunt what he perceives as spiritual growth.

“Minhag Yisrael khalacha hi”
It is not a chumra or a higher level to eat on shmini atzeres. Just like not eating gebrokts is not a chumrah. They are Minhagim, and the way we treat them is as a Halacha (in most cases)

Shuly

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:03 pm
When we lived in America, we ate in succah on Shmini Atzeres and said a goodbye to the succah on Shmini Atzeres afternoon.

When we moved to Israel and started keeping one day of yom tov, we stopped eating in the succah on Shmini Atzeres because Shmini Atzeres and Simchas Torah are the same day. We say the goodbye to the succah on Hoshana Rabbah afternoon.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics