Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
European look for kids
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:07 am
miriess1 wrote:
Can someone PLEASE tell me a clueless woman who’s new to jewish fashion how it all looks like????

I was going to pm you but I suspect this will resonate with a lot of people here.
As an ffb, there is a lot that's new to me also, and not just fashion. Wink

byisrael

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:17 am
And I was gonna say you could shop the "European look" on Next (british) and vertbaudet (french) lol
But they do have super cute and affordable kids clothing....

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:46 am
Kidichic is junky? That's my expensive brand. I generally buy Target and children's place but one or two shabbos outfits a season I get from kidichic, way more expensive than the chain stores.
Funnily enough, I'm European, nobody here dresses in the ribbed, in town, heimishe look.
And people are probably paying more cuz stuff is a fortune here. (Which is why I generally shop in NY)

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:58 am
I only shop in cheaper frum kids stores and their biggest claim to fame is the ability to match siblings of all ages, including both genders for some styles.
I agree with Sky and any other posters who don't put shorts on kids when it is cold.
I guess that the European look is supposed to make kids look like royalty. When my first baby was born 40 years ago and we didn't have much money and lived OOT, I ordered his clothes from the Sears catalog. A friend of mine, who was from NY, informed me that if I took him to NY in those cheap clothes, we would stick out like a sore thumb. Even babies from poor families had to look like they were born to royalty.
It was not about tznius at all; it was about looking "valuable".

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:02 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Kidichic is junky? That's my expensive brand. I generally buy Target and children's place but one or two shabbos outfits a season I get from kidichic, way more expensive than the chain stores.
Funnily enough, I'm European, nobody here dresses in the ribbed, in town, heimishe look.
And people are probably paying more cuz stuff is a fortune here. (Which is why I generally shop in NY)

After a few washings, Kidichic shows wear. It is not the type of quality that will be passed down through the family. It is fine for one season.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:03 am
southernbubby wrote:

It was not about tznius at all; it was about looking "valuable".

If course it’s not about tznius, it’s about style! No one here is claiming it’s a frum value to dress in style. But don’t knock those who do. For the record, I grew up oot and was always very much in style, as are my sisters who still live out of town.
We spend $ on our clothing because is something we value and enjoy. And I budget a lot for my kids clothing as well. And whether or not u want to call it European style, that’s how I dress my kids.

English3

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:24 am
I think you mean Spanish brands such as Dolce petit, Miranda etc these brand have the adorable old fashioned look that you are calling 'European look'. That's what my friends are putting on their kids here in London for shabbos. These outfits are to bite into and they have matching for boys and girls.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 8:59 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
If course it’s not about tznius, it’s about style! No one here is claiming it’s a frum value to dress in style. But don’t knock those who do. For the record, I grew up oot and was always very much in style, as are my sisters who still live out of town.
We spend $ on our clothing because is something we value and enjoy. And I budget a lot for my kids clothing as well. And whether or not u want to call it European style, that’s how I dress my kids.

What I knocked in my post was the expectation that poor people spend more than they could afford so that a crawling baby can be in style.
You have people in other threads who won't donate to causes that provide the poor with designer clothes because they don't think that it should be a frum value. I have no problem with what these organizations provide but I don't give that much anyway because I prioritize other causes.
If it is important that toddlers are in style, does the stuff even get passed down? In a couple of years, or maybe even months, the styles will change. Isn't that a bit of a waste?
Of course, it's you who has to pay for it and I don't know if tuition committees view being in style as a value.
Also, my friend was "knocking" putting messy little kids in cheap clothes.

octopus

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:07 am
Eh, I've gotten expensive dresses from some of the stores that were named here (the expensive ones). They ripped, pilled, didn't wash well, didn't last. They are all a piece of junk. Expensive yet stylish junk. Its one thing if you pay more the clothes last longer. But this is not the case...

sky

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:08 am
southernbubby wrote:
After a few washings, Kidichic shows wear. It is not the type of quality that will be passed down through the family. It is fine for one season.

Clothing today is seasonal and isn’t passed down as much. Their stuff follows the styles and some of it will be ‘out’ next year.
But so will a lot of the more expensive stuff.
Truth is though I’ve been disappointed with lots of clothes. Just washed a few made in Canada dresses. Had piling and snags there too. And some of my kidi chic dresses from the summer look brand new... (my daughters wore kidi chic dresses to my sons bar mitzvah. Some guests thought they were from ladida Smile )
Kidi chic and stores like it def serve a purpose.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:26 am
sky wrote:
Clothing today is seasonal and isn’t passed down as much. Their stuff follows the styles and some of it will be ‘out’ next year.
But so will a lot of the more expensive stuff.
Truth is though I’ve been disappointed with lots of clothes. Just washed a few made in Canada dresses. Had piling and snags there too. And some of my kidi chic dresses from the summer look brand new... (my daughters wore kidi chic dresses to my sons bar mitzvah. Some guests thought they were from ladida Smile )
Kidi chic and stores like it def serve a purpose.

When I was raising kids, it wasn't just about getting the full value out of clothing, but there was something sentimental about passing down special clothing. Boys usually destroyed everything but girls dresses were fun to pass down.

giselle

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:57 am
I get that Jewish stores are expensive, but where are you finding nice dress clothes in Target for example? Where are you finding nice dress shoes for an older boy that are good quality in a non Jewish store (unless it’s an expensive non Jewish store)? I haven’t found anything nice in the non Jewish stores recently for older kids. Unless this is just about younger kids?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:02 am
Sky, you know the made in Canada stuff is also cheaply made. Those aren’t the higher end, well fitting things people are talking about.
Most of the Canadian Frum clothing sold in the Frum stores are all produced by one company with a whole bunch of different labels.
It’s mainly copies of last years styles and pretty poorly made.
If it pills, or doesn’t wash well, that’s to be expected. I don’t love the fit of most of the Montreal clothing produced there, even though I’ve bought a few things for my kids.
I don’t pass down from child to child- I give my kids clothing to relatives or a gemach, but even for that season, I like when my kids things are well made. They just look better.
That doesn’t mean I won’t purchase an ali turtleneck and my kids wear a lot of H&M that’s also poorly made. But that’s mainly weekday.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:07 am
giselle wrote:
I get that Jewish stores are expensive, but where are you finding nice dress clothes in Target for example? Where are you finding nice dress shoes for an older boy that are good quality in a non Jewish store (unless it’s an expensive non Jewish store)? I haven’t found anything nice in the non Jewish stores recently for older kids. Unless this is just about younger kids?

Older kids differ from little kids in that:

1) They usually don't get as stained and dirty
2) They care about how they look
3) They may stay the same size for longer whereas kids from 0 to 24 months change sizes approximately 6 times.

GreenEyes26

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:08 am
I have a question - how old are the boys being dressed in skimpy rompers, tight leggings, etc? Because aren’t these also the communities that put girls in tights and long sleeves at 3?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:08 am
giselle wrote:

My oldest is six but carters children’s place and even target always have holiday shops with fancy dresses for the Xmas and Easter season.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:11 am
So interesting. Well MO communities have completely different fashion norms than yeshivish/Chassidish in non shocking news!

Oh and I’ve been able to pass down clothes from much derided chain stores more than once and the clothes still look pretty fab.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:14 am
English3 wrote:
I think you mean Spanish brands such as Dolce petit, Miranda etc these brand have the adorable old fashioned look that you are calling 'European look'. That's what my friends are putting on their kids here in London for shabbos. These outfits are to bite into and they have matching for boys and girls.

Yes generally the shabbos outfits I buy for my kids are Spanish

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
My oldest is six but carters children’s place and even target always have holiday shops with fancy dresses for the Xmas and Easter season.

Maybe but they are not the style that the general frum community follows. Not that it’s a problem to dress differently, but that’s not what this thread is about

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:16 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I think the question is if your kids really look European or if that’s just marketing from frum stores because their target market likes the idea of looking European.

Neh I don't shop in the local frum stores
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics