Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
European look for kids
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

pause

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:21 am
giselle wrote:
I get that Jewish stores are expensive, but where are you finding nice dress clothes in Target for example? Where are you finding nice dress shoes for an older boy that are good quality in a non Jewish store (unless it’s an expensive non Jewish store)? I haven’t found anything nice in the non Jewish stores recently for older kids. Unless this is just about younger kids?

Nice dress shoes for an older boy you might luck out at Nordstrom.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:22 am
pause wrote:
Nice dress shoes for an older boy you might luck out at Nordstrom.

Or DSW

sub

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:23 am
European means classy, well fitted, not oversized or overly loose. Subtle colours. No crazy hemlines. No ridiculous trends. Items that will always look good no matter the year or decade you wear them.
Some people know how to look European without spending much.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:26 am
sub wrote:
European means classy, well fitted, not oversized or overly loose. Subtle colours. No crazy hemlines. No ridiculous trends. Items that will always look good no matter the year or decade you wear them.

So not bonnets, bubbles and tights on boys? I'm confused.

sub

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:34 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
So not bonnets, bubbles and tights on boys? I'm confused.

That is a trend. It will change. So if you like it buy it, if not don’t. A person should be comfortable with what they wear - for themselves, not for others.
Also, do you want your kids to cringe when they look at their childhood pics?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:49 am
sub wrote:
That is a trend. It will change. So if you like it buy it, if not don’t. A person should be comfortable with what they wear - for themselves, not for others.

I would never in a million years buy those things and I don't live in a place where people dress children in bizarre trends or wildly expensive clothing. I was confused because it seems that some posters think this stuff is "European." The terminology confused me.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:51 am
Most of the brands that the high end Jewish children's stores carry are actually non Jewish European brands, so not sure why many of you are insisting that it's only a frum thing. Perhaps frum people are a particularly large consumer because these are mostly dressy clothing and we have opportunity to use them. mommy3b2c mentioned some names, but some more are Louise Louise, Bonton, Misha and puff, Bobo choses... These are not frum brands and they come from France, Spain, Amsterdam, Germany....
There are also plenty of non Jewish stores and websites that carry all these brands and items, such as childrensalon, melijoe, fawnshoppe, smallable

I was in Rome and Paris a few weeks ago and came across several very much non Jewish shops with these so called heimish bloomers and short knits

tigerwife

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:51 am
sub wrote:

Who doesn’t cringe when looking at their childhood outfits? Even if you try to stay as classic as can be, it won’t look the same in 30 years.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:52 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Maybe but they are not the style that the general frum community follows. Not that it’s a problem to dress differently, but that’s not what this thread is about

She asked if you can find dress clothes in non Jewish stores and the answer is yes.

sub

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:57 am
tigerwife wrote:
Who doesn’t cringe when looking at their childhood outfits? Even if you try to stay as classic as can be, it won’t look the same in 30 years.

But there is cringe and then there is CRINGE.
A 2 year old boy with small bubble pants and leggings?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:57 am
sub wrote:

So when I hear that, I think how Prince George and Princess Charlotte are dressed. Beautiful, detailed clothing that would not look out of place in the 1950s. Sweater vests, Peter pan collars, knitted fabrics, etc. (You can make a Chronicles of Narnia movie and use their wardrobe without a problem!)

If I could afford that, I'd love to dress my kids like that. But I prefer to put the money elsewhere (simcha fund and 401k), so I prefer Carter's and TJMaxx.

I look how 'fashionable' children are dressed- not at all like the royal children.

sub

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:03 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I would never in a million years buy those things and I don't live in a place where people dress children in bizarre trends or wildly expensive clothing. I was confused because it seems that some posters think this stuff is "European." The terminology confused me.

So change it to aristocratic or classy or any word that has nothing to do with changing trends. The word European definitely can be dropped.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:38 am
Yes. I laugh when on this site everyone thinks high end children’s clothing is a Jewish “frummie” thing. They make fun that only in town crazy Jewish people buy these brands.
These companies are mainly non Jewish and believe me, they didn’t think about the young mom in Lakewood when they started their lines.
Monna Lisa, imoga, valmax bang bang Copenhagen.....
Very few of the high end companies are Jewish. Maybe coco blanc and Matooka.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:41 am
giselle wrote:
I get that Jewish stores are expensive, but where are you finding nice dress clothes in Target for example? Where are you finding nice dress shoes for an older boy that are good quality in a non Jewish store (unless it’s an expensive non Jewish store)? I haven’t found anything nice in the non Jewish stores recently for older kids. Unless this is just about younger kids?

All the stores have dress shoes and clothing, I find from about 6/7 my boys want suits. I buy a few Oxford white shirts in children's place, some french toast ones, for chol hamoed and extras and a suit. I try to get Macy's or the like on sale. My six year old is wearing a JCrew suit I bout for pennies about three years ago that he's just fitting into now.
My four year old wears kidichic vests and french toast or children's place shirts and dress pants, some are from Target, some Amazon, I don't think I paid more than $20 a piece.
Preteen girls are the hardest. I think that for them, the Jewish stores are a blessing.
I don't live in town, I'm constantly looking online and buying stuff when it's rock bottom even if I won't use it for a while.
I just bought my baby three outfits online at Macy's, they were $48 I paid $2:46 probably last season but I don't care.
Shoes I buy anywhere, Macy's, children's place till around age 8, DSW, Amazon ( I like Clark's).
What I don't understand is this. In town is it considered normal for boys age 6 and up to still be wearing cutesy outfits?? Cuz where I live they wouldn't be caught dead in such "babyish" stuff. They all want dress shirts/suits/dress pants

giselle

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:50 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
All the stores have dress shoes and clothing, I find from about 6/7 my boys want suits. I buy a few Oxford white shirts in children's place, some french toast ones, for chol hamoed and extras and a suit. I try to get Macy's or the like on sale. My six year old is wearing a JCrew suit I bout for pennies about three years ago that he's just fitting into now.
My four year old wears kidichic vests and french toast or children's place shirts and dress pants, some are from Target, some Amazon, I don't think I paid more than $20 a piece.
Preteen girls are the hardest. I think that for them, the Jewish stores are a blessing.
I don't live in town, I'm constantly looking online and buying stuff when it's rock bottom even if I won't use it for a while.
I just bought my baby three outfits online at Macy's, they were $48 I paid $2:46 probably last season but I don't care.
Shoes I buy anywhere, Macy's, children's place till around age 8, DSW, Amazon ( I like Clark's).
What I don't understand is this. In town is it considered normal for boys age 6 and up to still be wearing cutesy outfits?? Cuz where I live they wouldn't be caught dead in such "babyish" stuff. They all want dress shirts/suits/dress pants

Older boys don’t wear oxford shirts on shabbos. Can’t compare DSW shoes to styles in Jewish stores.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 11:59 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Or DSW

Check out the prices at DSW. You'll save, but not as much as you might think.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:00 pm
giselle wrote:
Older boys don’t wear oxford shirts on shabbos. Can’t compare DSW shoes to styles in Jewish stores.

The older boys dress shoes are pretty much the same.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:23 pm
chagru wrote:
In my city, the rich happily dress their kids and often themselves in zara and H&m with a moncler or woolrhich winter jacket. The very wealthy will wear baby Dior, Gucci , D&G, Burberry, with h&m thrown in the mix as well.

How many people know that a ‘cheap’ moncler jacket is $300? I’ve seen them go up to $1000. Unless they’re made of gold, I’m not buying one. I do love Zara though.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:24 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Check out the prices at DSW. You'll save, but not as much as you might think.

They're always sending me great coupons (I'm a rewards member).

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 2:18 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
The "specific European look" is basically dressing the boys girly. Smoking flats for shabbos shoes. Bubble rompers (with tights for winter). Very tight pants (very short shorts in summer) and smock shirts.
I only have boys, so I dunno about the girls' clothes.

no way. sorry I disagree. I spent the first 26 years of my life living in Europe. Never saw any of the looks that you describe above. I dont know where such ridiculous ideas come from!
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics