Home

Family cancelled last minute (husband in assisted living)..

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Earnest




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:04 pm
Not sure where to post this. It's half a vent, half a request for assistance. I live in a nice condo in Crown Heights, B.H. My kids grew up, got married, husband became ill andoved to assisted living place, I'm trying to manage independently. My married kids cancelled their trip to me for Succos last minute. Living in Crown Heights, I thought it'd be a cinch to find a small-ish family to stay 'by me' as I try my hand as a bed and breakfast for the first time. I've been hosting a family of 5 off and on for the past 6 months so I felt confident. (I need to earn $ to travel to a family destination Simcha so I thought using my condo as a short term rental would be the way to earn some cash.). I have 2 bedrooms/5 beds in a 'good location'. But. It hasn't been a cinch at all. A broker told me that the times have changed, and visitors arrange places to stay in Crown Heights for Succos 2 months in advance. Then he toured my condo erev Yom Tov,
told me that (1.) I was asking for too much money, my place is not good enough for couples, only 'families' (because the linens don't all match, bent window shades, only 2 bedrooms, 1 private full bath, the rest of the 1,800 ft condo would have to be shared (gasp) with a regular tenant (me, Bubby)...and, not having a Succa available, realize (2.).
it's rentable only for the last days, when a Succa isn't needed. It's been a humbling, learning experience, and lonely Succos. End of vent. Beginning of asking for support and maybe practible help. So. If anybody can help me out with paying guests for the last days of Yom tov, please PM me. I put all my eggs in one basket, the last 2 days, and it would be a shame that I lost the chance to host my own kids for the chimera of 'self-sufficiency'. So far this Yom Tov, the broker told me 8 men are looking for a short term rental, which is not shayich. (And girls that have zero money.).(Full disclosure. When I explained to my married kids that I needed to use 1 spare bedroom for paying guests, they decided to go cancel the Succos trip and visit a sibling instead.) So I sabatoged my Yom Tov for...what? The discovery that I'm an incompetent businesswoman/ Bubby? Sorry the post is so long.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:19 pm
I'm so sorry this is turning out to be this way for you.

Is the reason your kids decided not to come to you because you are trying to rent out one of the bedrooms? No offence, I would do the same. Its not comfortable to have strangers staying with you over chag, especially a chag where your kids are overtired, over candied, and just want to be able to lay on the couch and chill without strangers present. Also, I'm confused. If you would be there, and your kids would be there, and the theoretical renters would be there all for the chag, where would your kids sleep?

I think the broker was being kind and if you really want to make a go of renting, you should do what you can do to improve the place. Go to Target and get a few bed-in-bag sets. Get cheap replacement blinds. And leave the condo when you have paying guests. I would not pay for a rental if the owner was there - I get him! If you want to make money from your condo, you really need to leave the premises while tenants are there.
Back to top

Cookiegirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:24 pm
Hi OP- this sounds hard.

My thought/recommendation would be rather than counting on intermittent holiday paying "company" perhaps you should evaluate whether it makes more sense to take in a boarder on a steadier basis- perhaps someone that would actually leave over the holidays so your family could join you. These arrangements are much more predictable and there are a lot of people who would want to be in proximity to NYC, Brooklyn, CH etc, for work, school or Chabad, presumably.

I hope you have an enjoyable yom tov, despite this setback.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 3:31 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Hi OP- this sounds hard.

My thought/recommendation would be rather than counting on intermittent holiday paying "company" perhaps you should evaluate whether it makes more sense to take in a boarder on a steadier basis- perhaps someone that would actually leave over the holidays so your family could join you. These arrangements are much more predictable and there are a lot of people who would want to be in proximity to NYC, Brooklyn, CH etc, for work, school or Chabad, presumably.

I hope you have an enjoyable yom tov, despite this setback.


YES! OP! Have you considered taking boarders? Brilliant!
Back to top

Earnest




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:41 pm
According to the rules of Section 8 (it's been Sec 8 private voucher for decades) only members of the household can live here long term. (on a steady basis). Short term/occasional guests aren't a problem. I could definitely fix up the place though, bit by bit. I could never trust strangers alone in my place unsupervised (Kashrus, etc.)
Back to top

Earnest




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:42 pm
The beds are great, the bathroom is almost almost perfect)
Back to top

Earnest




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:45 pm
Oh, I appreciate the 26 hugs!
Back to top

Raisin




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:47 pm
If you are doing this a lot, Myriam Elisheva Segal has a list of short term rentals in Crown Heights. Contact her and ask her to add you.

Sorry I don't know anyone looking. But I once rented a place in Crown Heights for the kinnus with my sisters that sounded a lot like what you are describing. Not fancy, basic place. (But we did have apartment to ourselves.) Many people are looking for places during kinnus and other times and lots don't care about how fancy it is if the price is reasonable.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:50 pm
Earnest wrote:
Not sure where to post this. It's half a vent, half a request for assistance. I live in a nice condo in Crown Heights, B.H. My kids grew up, got married, husband became ill andoved to assisted living place, I'm trying to manage independently. My married kids cancelled their trip to me for Succos last minute. Living in Crown Heights, I thought it'd be a cinch to find a small-ish family to stay 'by me' as I try my hand as a bed and breakfast for the first time. I've been hosting a family of 5 off and on for the past 6 months so I felt confident. (I need to earn $ to travel to a family destination Simcha so I thought using my condo as a short term rental would be the way to earn some cash.). I have 2 bedrooms/5 beds in a 'good location'. But. It hasn't been a cinch at all. A broker told me that the times have changed, and visitors arrange places to stay in Crown Heights for Succos 2 months in advance. Then he toured my condo erev Yom Tov,
told me that (1.) I was asking for too much money, my place is not good enough for couples, only 'families' (because the linens don't all match, bent window shades, only 2 bedrooms, 1 private full bath, the rest of the 1,800 ft condo would have to be shared (gasp) with a regular tenant (me, Bubby)...and, not having a Succa available, realize (2.).
it's rentable only for the last days, when a Succa isn't needed. It's been a humbling, learning experience, and lonely Succos. End of vent. Beginning of asking for support and maybe practible help. So. If anybody can help me out with paying guests for the last days of Yom tov, please PM me. I put all my eggs in one basket, the last 2 days, and it would be a shame that I lost the chance to host my own kids for the chimera of 'self-sufficiency'. So far this Yom Tov, the broker told me 8 men are looking for a short term rental, which is not shayich. (And girls that have zero money.).(Full disclosure. When I explained to my married kids that I needed to use 1 spare bedroom for paying guests, they decided to go cancel the Succos trip and visit a sibling instead.) So I sabatoged my Yom Tov for...what? The discovery that I'm an incompetent businesswoman/ Bubby? Sorry the post is so long.


I think you’re not grasping the idea that people (both potential renters, as well as your kids) don’t want to share close quarters with strangers
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 6:57 pm
Your use a section 8 voucher for your condo? Please dont take a risk like this and rent it out! This is risky and you can lose the voucher.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:08 pm
For this year there's nothing that can be done. But if you'd like to try this again the next time the Israelis pack into CH (like Chanukah or next tishrei) here's what I would do. I'm a resident CHer so I know how the Israeli guests work. No one is going to agree to stay by you if you're there except bochurim or seminary age girls so write up a WhatsApp message in Hebrew and English describing your accommodations and location with your contact info and post it on all whatsapp groups and have friends and family pass alone. Also post it to COLLive classifieds. No need for a broker. Post it at the beginning of the summer and every could weeks after that and you should get takers. Make sure to get a security deposit, the tishrei guests aren't always gentle with property
Back to top

amother




Denim


Post  Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:16 pm
Earnest wrote:
According to the rules of Section 8 (it's been Sec 8 private voucher for decades) only members of the household can live here long term. (on a steady basis). Short term/occasional guests aren't a problem. I could definitely fix up the place though, bit by bit. I could never trust strangers alone in my place unsupervised (Kashrus, etc.)


Unfortunately, most people would not pay to stay at a place where someone is there to “supervise” their every move.
Back to top

Earnest




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:06 am
Thanks for your warning, Watergirl. If a slightly unhinged. paying 'guest ' stayed by me, she could make serious legal problems for me. I should def focus on non English speaking Sen girls or stable Bubby-Daughter-Baby groups. In-and-out wedding guests, etc. And very little $ because of the inconvenience of an occupied apartment. Thank you for the practical advice, Ima.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:12 am
Earnest wrote:
Thanks for your warning, Watergirl. If a slightly unhinged. paying 'guest ' stayed by me, she could make serious legal problems for me. I should def focus on non English speaking Sen girls or stable Bubby-Daughter-Baby groups. In-and-out wedding guests, etc. And very little $ because of the inconvenience of an occupied apartment. Thank you for the practical advice, Ima.


I wonder what else you can do out of your home that does not involve renting out a room? Where I live, people sell baked goods from their homes. Challah, cookies, etc. People also pay good money for tight turnarounds on simple hemming, etc. Or - can you make "after wedding breakfast baskets" and deliver them? Would that work for you?

Vouchers are very hard to come by, and if you've had yours for decades already, you would be wise to protect it as much as you can! Dont take the risk of letting brokers know you want to sublet a room. Even for one shabbos, its just too big of a risk! (ETA, I just checked - a paying guest is considered a tenant; this is not allowed by section 8 at all. Please dont do this!)


Last edited by watergirl on Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Earnest




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:14 am
Hashem gave me a present of a Getlicha Farstand (G-dly Insight) in Tanach. I got a WhatsApp message that 'A grandfather, son, grand-son arrived needing a place to stay. Could I accommodate them?' My heart went out to them, but it 'felt' non-tznius. But. That is possibly why the female Innkeeper who helped Yeheshua out in Yericho was called a 'Zonah', even tho she did absolutely nothing wrong, and was such a Tzedakis she eventually married Yeheshuah. She was put into situations of impropriety just by running her Bed and Breakfast. Good Shabbos Everybody.
Back to top

amother




Copper


Post  Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:29 am
Earnest wrote:
Hashem gave me a present of a Getlicha Farstand (G-dly Insight) in Tanach. I got a WhatsApp message that 'A grandfather, son, grand-son arrived needing a place to stay. Could I accommodate them?' My heart went out to them, but it 'felt' non-tznius. But. That is possibly why the female Innkeeper who helped Yeheshua out in Yericho was called a 'Zonah', even tho she did absolutely nothing wrong, and was such a Tzedakis she eventually married Yeheshuah. She was put into situations of impropriety just by running her Bed and Breakfast. Good Shabbos Everybody.

Are they paying guests?
Back to top

amother




Orange


Post  Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:32 am
Earnest wrote:
Hashem gave me a present of a Getlicha Farstand (G-dly Insight) in Tanach. I got a WhatsApp message that 'A grandfather, son, grand-son arrived needing a place to stay. Could I accommodate them?' My heart went out to them, but it 'felt' non-tznius. But. That is possibly why the female Innkeeper who helped Yeheshua out in Yericho was called a 'Zonah', even tho she did absolutely nothing wrong, and was such a Tzedakis she eventually married Yeheshuah. She was put into situations of impropriety just by running her Bed and Breakfast. Good Shabbos Everybody.


I don't know about this. Is the mitzvah of hachnosas orchim only for guests of the same genders? If it would be a grandma, daughter and granddaughter needing a place to stay, and a man would be able to offer accommodations, is that wrong too?
Back to top

amother




Ivory


Post  Fri, Oct 18 2019, 9:56 am
You can't have all male non relative guests, it's yichud.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Send son from yeshivish family to MO school?
by amother
37 Today at 1:08 am View last post
Essential oils- doTERRA, young living or cheaper from amazon
by amother
15 Mon, Nov 18 2019, 7:07 pm View last post
Spinoff: A frum family needs two incomes?
by amother
126 Sat, Nov 16 2019, 9:20 pm View last post
A frum family needs two incomes?
by amother
92 Fri, Nov 15 2019, 8:43 am View last post
Family doctor- Williamsburg
by amother
28 Fri, Nov 15 2019, 2:12 am View last post

Jump to: