Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Less common biblical girl names
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shirachadasha

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 6:14 am
Ruchama
Shlomtzion

Rappel

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 6:21 am
Achsa was the daughter of Calev, and there is a fabulous Gemara about how she defended her husband's study of Torah.

I'm a huge fan of Yiscah, too.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 7:38 am
Tamar is my fave

salt

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:06 am
shirachadasha wrote:
Ruchama
Shlomtzion

Don't think these are names from the Tanach.
Queen Shlomzion was from 2nd Temple period (appears in the Talmud).
And Ruchama, I don't think that was a person in the Bible but I might be wrong.

But nice names.

If you're open to names from the Talmud as opposed to Tanach, then there's also Bruria.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:30 am
salt wrote:
Don't think these are names from the Tanach.
Queen Shlomzion was from 2nd Temple period (appears in the Talmud).
And Ruchama, I don't think that was a person in the Bible but I might be wrong.

But nice names.

If you're open to names from the Talmud as opposed to Tanach, then there's also Bruria.

Shlomzion is indeed post-biblical.
Ruchama is the name that Hoshea was supposed to give his daughter (actually he was supposed to call her לא רוחמה) as an allegory alluding to Hashem's anger at Am Yisrael.
It is a matter of debate between mepharshim whether this actually happened or whether Hoshea was just supposed to relate Hashem's command as part of his nevuah.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:37 am
Yocheved
Ayala - from the pasuk Naftali Ayala shlucha
Devorah
Elisheva

etky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:42 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Yocheved
Ayala - from the pasuk Naftali Ayala shlucha
Devorah
Elisheva

So this really depends what OP means by a 'biblical name'.
My guess is that she wants biblical personalities.

salt

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:43 am
etky wrote:
Shlomzion is indeed post-biblical.
Ruchama is the name that Hoshea was supposed to give his daughter (actually he was supposed to call her לא רוחמה) as an allegory alluding to Hashem's anger at Am Yisrael.
It is a matter of debate between mepharshim whether this actually happened or whether Hoshea was just supposed to relate Hashem's command as part of his nevuah.

Thanks for enlightening me! My knowledge of Navi is very inadequate, but that does sound familiar! Thanks.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:08 am
etky wrote:
So this really depends what OP means by a 'biblical name'.
My guess is that she wants biblical personalities.

Right. If OP just wants a word mentioned in Tanach, we named our daughter Ya'ara, which originates in Sefer Shmuel.
http://www.shemli.co.il/hebnam.....94167

Another mom

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:27 am
Plz don't use Chulda. It means a rat.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:46 am
Another mom wrote:

Also - and I feel bad saying it cause these women were really worthy of being named after - Serach and Achsa are problematic too as far as meaning or how they sound.
And if you are in the States then Osnat is not ideal either.

banana123

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:56 am
LittleRed wrote:
I've been dying to use Noa for a girl. Beautiful name, not so common. She was one of the daughters of Tzlafchad.

Noa has been one of the most common names for several years. Very Happy

banana123

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 10:02 am
Tirtza, Avishag, Milka, Avigayil, Achinoam, Osnat, Elisheva, Chagit, Yiscah, Yemima, Yehudit, Naama, Reuma, Tamar

Aviya is also used for girls now, even though it's a man in Tanach.

I love Serach and Machla but would never give the names. I can hear "Serach hamsaricha" and "Machla, yena machla, Machla hamachala" already.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 10:04 am
banana123 wrote:
Noa has been one of the most common names for several years. Very Happy

It was literally #1 on the list of most popular names for Jewish Israeli girls for years and only very recently eclipsed by Tamar and Maya.
Even as far back as High school - and I'm in my early fifties - there were several Noa's in my class (here in Israel).

etky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 10:09 am
About Yehudit - technically the Yehudit that people name after (the one with Holofornes) is also post-biblical, or rather apocryphal.
The Yehudit in tanach was Yehudit bat Be'eri - one of the wives of Esav who made Rivka and Yitzhak miserable.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 12:57 pm
Quote:
It is a matter of debate between mepharshim whether this actually happened or whether Hoshea was just supposed to relate Hashem's command as part of his nevuah

Thanks for sharing this, this is super interesting. My daughter is Ruchama, and I always liked the meaning, but never knew or went with a "personality" or "episode" in tanach. I've really liked every Ruchama I've ever met- that's pretty much how she got the name.

I'm completely enchanted by Yehosheva-I've never heard of her before ever, and the name is beautiful. I wonder if it's too out there.

I'm not op, and not expecting, just think it's beautiful.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 1:10 pm
etky wrote:
Also - and I feel bad saying it cause these women were really worthy of being named after - Serach and Achsa are problematic too as far as meaning or how they sound.
And if you are in the States then Osnat is not ideal either.

Quote:
I love Serach and Machla but would never give the names. I can hear "Serach hamsaricha" and "Machla, yena machla, Machla hamachala" already.

Quote:

So, there is a reason why these names are less popular...

Maybe the OP should just stick to the classic names after all.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 1:21 pm
banana123 wrote:

Aviya is also used for girls now, even though it's a man in Tanach.

Although there are a few men in Tanach named Aviya, it was also the name of the wife of חצרון בן פרץ, the grandson of Yehuda. I think her name only appears in ,דברי הימים.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Quote:
It is a matter of debate between mepharshim whether this actually happened or whether Hoshea was just supposed to relate Hashem's command as part of his nevuah

Thanks for sharing this, this is super interesting. My daughter is Ruchama, and I always liked the meaning, but never knew or went with a "personality" or "episode" in tanach. I've really liked every Ruchama I've ever met- that's pretty much how she got the name.

I'm completely enchanted by Yehosheva-I've never heard of her before ever, and the name is beautiful. I wonder if it's too out there.

I do know someone with the name, but unfortunately, it is a mouthful and not easy on the tongue. I think that must be the reason it is not more popular. Sort of like why Yoshiyahu is not popular for boys, even though he was such a righteous king. Such a shame really.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Quote:

Ruchama is a beautiful name. I also only have positive associations with it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names