Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's with dips?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 3:11 pm
DH loves dips. We put out well over a dozen. I rush healthy food alternatives to the table.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 3:15 pm
flmommy wrote:
We do dips with the fish course.

Us too. We do only one dip though, homemade hummus. We serve it with a fish dish and challah and a cold salad of some kind.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 3:42 pm
When the challah goes the dipping stops. So basically I’m fine with it. I make tomato dip, my kids love Sabra hummas, and we usually have 1-2 other dips.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 3:56 pm
ddmom wrote:
Very enjoyable and unfortunately very unhealthy!
We love hummus,olive dip, eggplant dip, matbucha...
When I watch what I eat, I usually try to cut down on the dips!

There’s nothing unhealthy about olive, eggplant, tomato dip

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:05 pm
First course I usually serve very nice fish and salad. But everyone else seems to serve dips so I felt like I should too. Guess what? Nobody eats them at our house. Because they are totally unneccesary and unwanted when you have good real food already on the table. I never serve them anymore. Closest would be some roasted garlic in oil. But nothing else.

cnc

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:11 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Olive and tomato dips are loaded with oil and eggplant dip is loaded with either oil or mayo depending on how you make it .

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:11 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
DH loves dips. We put out well over a dozen. I rush healthy food alternatives to the table.

In one meal? Curious what they are. I can't even think of 12 that wouldn't be redundant.

ddmom

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 5:32 pm
cnc wrote:
Olive and tomato dips are loaded with oil and eggplant dip is loaded with either oil or mayo depending on how you make it .

Eggplant is homemade with a little bit of olive oil, olive dip has a couple Tbsp of mayonnaise (so not loaded at all!) but unhealthy because we do eat more challa that way and it's really "extra" calories!

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 6:50 pm
We usually have roasted garlic and sometimes hummus. We don’t do a fish course usually but will have salad or soup as the first course

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 18 2019, 7:52 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Homemade is very different than commercially prepared because it is cheaper to make it with higher quantities of oil and mayo.

But any dip made with mayo or oil as a major ingredient is not particularly healthy. Even the healthy homemade dips are not intended to be eaten in large quantities but as a smallish portion. Take a look at calories for a serving which is generally two Tablespoons which is a very small amount measured as a level tablespoon which is how quantities are measured. Most people are taking at least 1/3 cup if not more as a serving.

As others have posted, Israeli salatim are a completely different type of food consisting generally of lots of veggies chopped with flavorings and a small amount of oil. The heavier oilier more caloric stuff would be eaten as a small component rather than all of the options being like that.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 12:22 pm
I don't understand why people call them dips. Hummous is a spread, not a dip. Dip is more liquidy, like salsa.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 12:30 pm
If you need to fill up on challah because there's not enough meat, dips make sense. Otherwise, they are just extra calories to go with your carbs.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 12:30 pm
Olive oil is a very healthy fat. Guacamole is extremely healthy, too. Yay for good fats! If you are not serving a very fatty main, then I think it's fine.

Lymnok's mom got me into using a dip made from fine olive oil, zatar, and sea salt. It's delicious, and you only need a tiny amount. People fight over it on the table!

If you make your own dips from scratch, you control the type of oil you use, how much sugar and salt (if any) and how spicy you like it. Store bought dips are usually sweet and slimy, IMHO.

I found out the best way to make a base for dips.

1/2 cup of best olive oil.
1/4 cup of your favorite vinegar or lemon juice.
About 6 or 7 RAW cashews.

Blend until absolutely smooth and homogenized. Taste and adjust as needed. Sugar and salt are completely optional.

Add garlic, herbs, seasonings, and whatever else to make various flavors. A big bunch of fresh dill and a bit of garlic are one of my favorites, and it also is great on potato salad.

There are no raw eggs in this, so pregnant women and people who are allergic to eggs can enjoy. It's really good in pasta salad or salad dressing too. I hardly ever buy mayo anymore. I never buy salad dressing.

Non mayo dips can be roasted bell pepper, roasted tomato, sundried tomato, eggplant, roasted onions, or roasted zucchini. Any combination can be sauteed until soft, lightly mashed, and served warm or cold.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 12:32 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't understand why people call them dips. Hummous is a spread, not a dip. Dip is more liquidy, like salsa.

It's a kind of regional thing, like some people call fizzy drinks "soda", and some call it "pop". A few call it "soda pop", so you figure they're from the Midwest. Wink

etky

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 12:53 pm
I didn't grow up with dips (NY in the seventies).
FIrst courses were either gefilte fish, melon or half a grapefruit.
Sometimes meatballs over rice or fricassee (anyone remember that?)
I remember just before we made aliya in 1980 babaganoush began to become known and served in frum circles That was the official beginning of 'dips'.
My guess is that they gained currency with the influx of former Israelis and Jews from Mizrachi backgrounds to the US and with people's exposure to Israeli culture and food.
The 'dip's are really a version of the mezze/salatim course popular in the mideast.
I can understand why it took off among Ashkenazi Jews too once they were exposed to this type of course because the salads are for the most part delicious and they add variety yo the meal.
The problem with them though is IMO twofold: they add a huge amount of calories to the meal especially if consumed with quantities of challah and kill one's appetite for the following courses and, if made at home, add lots of prep time and work. I can see salatim as a first course in its own right instead of fish/ something else but not in addition to it. It's just too much food.
We don't do salatim even when we entertain for those reasons.
I serve my own homebaked (sweet) challah for hamotzi and then immediately serve a plated first course: soup in the evenings and fish or something else for lunch. For lunch I also usually put out a couple of vegetable salads (cucumber, cabbage, carrot etc,) to accompany the fish/first course. With a substantial main course and then dessert it is more than enough food.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 1:04 pm
I'd rather have a few healthy dips and salads, than a couple of greasy kugels any day!

And I can't stand cholent.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 1:05 pm
[quote="amother [ Babyblue ]The only distinct mitzvah is to have kiddish twice and to have three meals with two loaves at each meal. ( Even then, we’re lenient about the third meal and it can even be just mezonos rather than bread.) There is no mitzvah to have davka gefilte fish or cholent or salads or dips.[/quote]
From what I've learned the important things are: the challa, the fish and the meat. Anything else is "bonus". I live in Israel where salatim are very common on Shabbos. IMO it's a lot of work.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 1:09 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
From what I've learned the important things are: the challa, the fish and the meat. Anything else is "bonus". I live in Israel where salatim are very common on Shabbos. IMO it's a lot of work.

Exdh is Lubavitch, and he was very makpid on challah, fish, and meat for every single meal.

He refused to eat salad or vegetables (except boiled potatoes), so I had to make small side dishes for myself.

banana123

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 2:05 pm
flmommy wrote:
We do dips with the fish course. Do some people serve dips before? Anonymous because someone might recognize me because I serve dips. 😉

You're not anonymous...

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 2:22 pm
don't get them
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics