Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Hoshana Rabba Seudah
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 8:19 pm
My DH and I were talking about Hoshana Raba and he had never heard of making a seudah whereas I grew up with one (kreplach and all) and everyone I know makes one. I’m curious about others-do you make a seudah? (Also curious what you serve if you do but that’s a separate question 😊) If you’ve never heard of making a seudah then, what circles are you part of? (Ashkenaz, sefardi, chassidish, etc)

ssspectacular

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 8:25 pm
Yes! We make a seudah, like you say, kreplach and all.

asmileaday

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 8:29 pm
I grew up with a typical seudah on hoshanah rabbah. Challah fish soup etc... Chassidish.

Today's days I don't do it. We eat a regular breakfast.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 8:38 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I grew up with a typical seudah on hoshanah rabbah. Challah fish soup etc... Chassidish.

Today's days I don't do it. We eat a regular breakfast.

I’m curious, do you not do it now because of your husband’s minhag not to?

asmileaday

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m curious, do you not do it now because of your husband’s minhag not to?

There's no specific reason why we don't. Never really thought about it.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:04 pm
No. Only heard of it on imamother.

RW MO

dankbar

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:06 pm
My hub started saying last few years, he wants a seuda also the night of not only during day. Being that it's Motzei Shabbos who can eat challah, fish, soup tonight again.
So we are washing today on mini frozen baguettes, with some cream cheese/lox for fish. Put in dairy noodle kugel to bake. That will be our seuda tonight. I hope it will suffice.

Tomm I will serve chicken soup with kreplach, then take out some type of kugel from freezer. Maybe little chicken. Whatever I have ready from freezer to reheat, because packing up & traveling for second days, where I have to shlep everything along for yt besides the kitchen sink.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:09 pm
Growing up we had Challah with honey & soup with kreplach. I don't remember what Ive done in passed yrs since I'm married. I think similar might add chicken/ meat.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:48 pm
dankbar wrote:
My hub started saying last few years, he wants a seuda also the night of not only during day. Being that it's Motzei Shabbos who can eat challah, fish, soup tonight again.
So we are washing today on mini frozen baguettes, with some cream cheese/lox for fish. Put in dairy noodle kugel to bake. That will be our seuda tonight. I hope it will suffice.

Tomm I will serve chicken soup with kreplach, then take out some type of kugel from freezer. Maybe little chicken. Whatever I have ready from freezer to reheat, because packing up & traveling for second days, where I have to shlep everything along for yt besides the kitchen sink.

Oh wow 2 seudahs! Makes sense but never heard of that. I like the milchigs idea.

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 9:53 pm
Yes. I make a full seuda. Challah, honey(last meal when honey is served with challah) , dip, soup with kreplach, meat, doughless knishes vegetable kugel and dessert. ( I make sure to prepare all this food in advance or use leftovers so that it doesn’t interfere with my Erev Yom Tov preparation. Chasiddish/Heimish. My DH does not wear his Shabbosdig levush like most Chassidim do.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:22 pm
Never had a meal growing up. My in-laws make a full meal, the first time I ever heard of it was the first year I was married. The last bunch of years we went away and flew on hoshana rabbah so we did not make a meal. I don't think we are making a meal this year, we will just wash with breakfast or lunch.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:29 pm
Yes grew up with fleishig meal including kreplach in soup and all. Do the same. Yeshivish

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:34 pm
Never had a meal growing up but my husband's family does. So we're having one every year, kreplach and all. Actually not much else than kreplach. We wash on challa and honey then have soup with kreplach!

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:37 pm
We make a nice brunch with bread
Tomorrow’s menu
French baguette stuffed with olives, sundry tomatoes and cheese
Frittatta
Crustless spinach and cheese quiche
Iced coffee
Chocolate cream pie

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:46 pm
Full meal. Challah, fish, soup, meat/chicken/stuffed cabbage, salad, kiguls, dessert. Chasidish.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:54 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Full meal. Challah, fish, soup, meat/chicken/stuffed cabbage, salad, kiguls, dessert. Chasidish.

Stuffed cabbage?!?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:55 pm
Regular yom tov seuda, like Erev Yom Kippur. Challah and honey, gefilte fish, soup and kreplach, sweet and sour chicken nuggets, tzimmes, orzo.

gold21

Post Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:58 pm
No... Never had a seudah on Hoshaa Rabah and still don't

Litvish/Yekkish

Last edited by gold21 on Sat, Oct 19 2019, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:04 am
Raised with a full seuda. Challah, soup, kreplach, chicken, kugel.
I do the same.
My husband was raised more with cold cut sandwiches and kreplach with canned soup. His parents wanted to serve a full meal, but with erev Yom Tov, it was very pressurizing so this was the compromise.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:14 am
Of course. Hungarian not-chassidish here (Oberland).

Challah, chicken soup, fried or baked chicken, kugel.

Since marrying my husband, I've started buying kreplach and putting them into the chicken soup.

Also...this is such a pet peeve of mine...but just because you've never heard of something or only heard of it on imamother.com doesn't mean it isn't a real thing. It just means you don't know everything.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics