Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Surgery for sinus?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 3:48 am
My 12 yr old son was recommended surgery for his sinus which is causing him headaches for a prolonged time.

Anyone have experience with it? It's close to the brain, so I'm nervous...
How is the recovery? Doc said it's gonna be hard for the week following. Anything else I need to know?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:24 am
I had a rhinoplasty to correct a deviated septum and the recovery took a good two weeks before I was able to show my face, for a younger child I’m not sure what procedure they do. It did help with my sinus and post nasal drip.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 10:55 am
Sinus area by nose was really tough recovery that I wouldn't ever want to do again, but worth it that it really improved quality of life that I don't regret doing it.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 12:17 pm
As an adult suffering from serious chronic sinus problems I wish that my parents would have taken me for surgery as a kid. I suffer almost daily with sinus headaches, constant sinus infections and chronic post nasal drip which causes a sore throat as well.
I have had these issues since childhood.
Now as an adult I am too scared to have the surgery. I have 6 children, no family near by and work full time. So practically it hard to find a time to take care of it and im scared of the painful recovery.
That being said of it was my child I would have him get the surgery.

happyone

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 1:57 pm
just be prepared once you operate you usually have to operate again as scar tissue forms. my son has been operated on over 8 times or so as we have had no choice as infections were 1mm to brain. recovery usually is a week or so. sometimes they leave stents with slow release steroids which is helpful. sometimes they absorb some need to be removed within r weeks. what's most important is to do nasal washes religiously to keep passages open after surgery . also important is to follow up on cultures taken during surgery and aggressively treat the bugs growing with antibiotics specific to that bug. we also have found that sometimes atomized medication can treat well and avoid surgery. make sure you get a second opinion and a Stealth scan which guides during surgery exactly where to safely operate.

Any username

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:05 am
Hi. I had sinus surgery in my young 20s after having suffered with infections and head aches for years. Two things that are really important to know: Always always get a second and maybe even third opinion. There are some surgeons that are too quick to operate and not all surgeons have the same skill level. Also, sinus tissue can grow back and is more likely to in children. Plus, the risks of general anasthesia are not to be taken likely. I would recommend trying a natural, wholistic approach first. And definitely get more opinions! Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:33 pm
Any username wrote:
Hi. I had sinus surgery in my young 20s after having suffered with infections and head aches for years. Two things that are really important to know: Always always get a second and maybe even third opinion. There are some surgeons that are too quick to operate and not all surgeons have the same skill level. Also, sinus tissue can grow back and is more likely to in children. Plus, the risks of general anasthesia are not to be taken likely. I would recommend trying a natural, wholistic approach first. And definitely get more opinions! Good luck!

I've been going around to drs for a couple of yrs already. This dr postponed doing surgery, but MRI and follow up scan showed that it's swollen and his complaints on headaches are going on forever. He has a hard time keeping up in class bc every time he bends forward, his head hurts.
We tried peppermint oil, antibiotics, otc sprays. Any other methods that actually work? Did surgery help you?
Thanks to the rest for your input.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've been going around to drs for a couple of yrs already. This dr postponed doing surgery, but MRI and follow up scan showed that it's swollen and his complaints on headaches are going on forever. He has a hard time keeping up in class bc every time he bends forward, his head hurts.
We tried peppermint oil, antibiotics, otc sprays. Any other methods that actually work? Did surgery help you?
Thanks to the rest for your input.

Sinus surgery can open a whole can of worms. But for someone suffering who has a clear resolution with surgery, it can be a home run.
I agree that you need to tread carefully. What is the reason for his headaches? How are they certain that surgery will correct it? Which part is swollen and what is causing the swelling?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:27 pm
Did you check if he has environmental allergies contributing? That’s my issue.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:35 pm
My first thought is untreated allergies. I'd suggest going to a natural Dr who can try to figure out the *source* of the problem. Surgery likely isn't necessary.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:18 pm
I had sinus surgery in my 20s. It helped somewhat since I get less infections that need antibiotics. But I do feel like scar tissue grew in because I still get sinus headaches but slightly less frequently than before. The recovery from the surgery was awful.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:30 pm
happyone wrote:
just be prepared once you operate you usually have to operate again as scar tissue forms. my son has been operated on over 8 times or so as we have had no choice as infections were 1mm to brain. recovery usually is a week or so. sometimes they leave stents with slow release steroids which is helpful. sometimes they absorb some need to be removed within r weeks. what's most important is to do nasal washes religiously to keep passages open after surgery . also important is to follow up on cultures taken during surgery and aggressively treat the bugs growing with antibiotics specific to that bug. we also have found that sometimes atomized medication can treat well and avoid surgery. make sure you get a second opinion and a Stealth scan which guides during surgery exactly where to safely operate.

Did these infections occur soon after the surgery? What were his symptoms?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:31 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I had sinus surgery in my 20s. It helped somewhat since I get less infections that need antibiotics. But I do feel like scar tissue grew in because I still get sinus headaches but slightly less frequently than before. The recovery from the surgery was awful.

What does scar tissues feel like and how soon after surgery did you get them?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 10:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 12 yr old son was recommended surgery for his sinus which is causing him headaches for a prolonged time.

Anyone have experience with it? It's close to the brain, so I'm nervous...
How is the recovery? Doc said it's gonna be hard for the week following. Anything else I need to know?

Please try Sinus Chi before you do surgery. you could call the company for the correct dose.

https://www.amazon.com/Chis-En.....ydWU=
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics