Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
LONG layover in Paris - where should I sleep???
Previous  1  2  3

eileengray

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 1:32 pm
OP, I think your best option might be purchasing a day pass for a business lounge at the airport. It will give you a more private/secure area to get some shut-eye and maybe enjoy a drink or two Smile

geemum

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 4:35 pm
Raisin wrote:
If its worth it to you to get to see Paris and have a hot kosher meal, you could hire a taxi (maybe a frum driver) to transport you and your luggage from one airport to the next with a stop in the centre of Paris.

Also, a french friend told me you can order kosher food from restaurants via apps (ubereats or wtvr - I never use them) so maybe they deliver to the airport? I see Orly is pretty close to Cretail, which is a Jewish area.

I think this is a great idea. A taxi will meet you at arrivals, help with your luggage on both ends. If you can find a Jewish driver, even better as he can take you to Jewish area for a hot meal and then onto Orly.

Keep you valuables on your body, there are pickpockets who target tourists. They came over to us to ask us directions or something minor to distract....

My DH wore a baseball cap rather than a yarmulke. Away from the airports and main train station, we felt quite safe though.

Good luck.

clgrl

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 5:13 pm
The kosher food is at least 1 hour+ (It could take 2 hours) from cdg. I’m not sure how you’re going to manage carting around the airport with two kids and luggage honestly. I was recently in Paris with my husband and 16 month old and we could hardly navigate cdg with two adults one stroller and two large suitcases. The carts are nothing like the enormous American carts you find in American airports or even in tel Aviv. It was so bad we couldn’t even get all our stuff down to the car rental and we decided to forgo a car and taxi to the city (my husband is a native French speaker and has been to Paris zillions of times). Certain districts are extremely dangerous in Paris. The area orly is in is one of those. Be realistic and careful. If I was in your situation I would either purchase a direct flight assuming the cost of going to a hotel to rest or id change my flight and spend the night in a hotel (ordering in kosher food if you’re in Paris is not an a issue assuming you can speak some French or Hebrew). Otherwise I wish you luck. It’s a extremely difficult country to navigate especially if you’re unfamiliar with the language or layout.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 5:18 pm
Sorry for delay—chag just ended by me. I do not know if there is a private area to remove a scarf. Or if for sure you will be asked to; I just think it’s a real possibility. I had to take off my hat, which was pushed all the way back and not even touching my face, had no brim, etc. As far as I know, France has rules about religious head coverings & symbols in government places—I usually wear mitpachot, but wore a shetl on that trip because I did not want to potentially deal with that (I occasionally will wear one, so I had).

Perhaps Ruchel (who I believe is French) would know? Or someone else?

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 6:35 pm
Gravol lasts between 4-5 hrs.
I buy the children's dose (12.5 mg chew-tabs). It helps on flights, especially when children are very hyper from excitement and won't sleep when I want them too. I'm happy having them sleep on the flight and run around in the airport.

Gravol is also great for my kids who get especially nauseous and vomit on flights.

Don't forget a mommy hook to attach your carry-ons onto the stroller so you can roll the suitcase and push the stroller.

Even though it's expensive, I think you will be able to buy fresh fruit in the airport, so that is one less thing to carry.
Dried foods are fine, but remember that liquid foods going through are at the discretion of the security personnel. (one security guy let us pass through with small amounts of guacamole and hummus, and another made us throw those out; another made us throw out our SEALED Costco Roots mini-freezer packs.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 6:38 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Sorry for delay—chag just ended by me. I do not know if there is a private area to remove a scarf. Or if for sure you will be asked to; I just think it’s a real possibility. I had to take off my hat, which was pushed all the way back and not even touching my face, had no brim, etc. As far as I know, France has rules about religious head coverings & symbols in government places—I usually wear mitpachot, but wore a shetl on that trip because I did not want to potentially deal with that (I occasionally will wear one, so I had).

Perhaps Ruchel (who I believe is French) would know? Or someone else?

I was there a few weeks ago and they did ask me to remove my snood. I told them I can't so they brought me into a private room where I took it off for them.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 7:16 pm
I think it will be extremely difficult to do anything other then get from one airport to the other airport.

You need to pack super light and get everything into one medium sized suitcase.

Any carry-on should be a backpack and that's it.

Get a fanny pack and keep your tickets, passports, wallet, money in there so you don't have to search for these things in your backpack.

Clothing in the suitcase. Food and diapers in the backpack and important docs and $ in the pack. That's it.

Don't try to go anywhere or do anything. It's too hard.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics