Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pinworms: Would You Invite Guests if Your Kids Have Them?
Previous  1  2

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:14 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
What test is it? I've heard that parasites are very hard to test for. You realize that by checking the rectal area you're only seeing what's coming out, not whatever's in there.. Nor is it presumably catching eggs that haven't hatched yet..

Also for all those suggesting clorox wipes etc, do you even know for sure that clorox kills the worms/eggs?

Did you have a conversation with your pediatrician about this?

Yes the tape test can detect eggs. It was sent to a lab.

From your post, it sounds like you view this problem as inevitable so why bother trying to treat it? I hope I'm misreading. It was a massive, massive amount of work. I would be very upset if someone knowingly invited me or my kids and did not tell us about a pinworm problem.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:21 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
What test is it? I've heard that parasites are very hard to test for. You realize that by checking the rectal area you're only seeing what's coming out, not whatever's in there.. Nor is it presumably catching eggs that haven't hatched yet..

Also for all those suggesting clorox wipes etc, do you even know for sure that clorox kills the worms/eggs?

You don't rely on the clorox with bleach. You rely on doing laundry in hot water after every use, for every family member, including bed sheets, pj's, underwear, towels. Every day. Daily showers. And mopping all floors and vacuuming all carpets every morning and again later in the day. And keeping nails short, reminding kids to constantly wash, whole family taking the pills 2x. As I mentioned, it was a massive amount of work.

Showers only, disinfect bathrooms constantly, no bathing kids together.

I also discussed school hygiene, not touching toilet with their hands or sitting directly on the toilet seat. I gave each child their own purell to use after using the bathroom in school because school doesn't always have soap. As well as before and after lunch and snack. Asked them about it often, showed them graphics of eggs going from rectum to fingernails and then getting swallowed, YICK. The gross out factor was a good motivator.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:49 am
If possible you can assign your parents a different bathroom, and tell them not to accept any food from the kids (eg no potato chip offerings) and to wash their hands before eating.
I too went through this -laundry and cleaning like crazy, daily showering.
In theory it should work, but it just goes around and around (are all their classmates also doing this?).
I do think some kids are more susceptible, but I also think some people don't realize they have it and aren't as sensitive to the sensation.
I read an estimation that they infect up to half of all British kids under age 10!

Tape test is an idea - I tested my son a few nights in a row, not just one night. Also you dont get results right away.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 12:44 pm
OP, I'm in a similar situation. Did you tell your parents?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics