Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Should I switch my 1st grade daughter. Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:23 am
She’s in masores and seems happy but doesn’t have any real friends. When I ask who she wants to invite for a play date she has no suggestions. She doesn’t get invited either. Her teachers say she gets along with her classmates. Since the classes were mixed up this year there are only 2 girls close enough for a shabbos play date.
My next daughters going into kindergarten next year and I’m wondering if I should apply somewhere else for both of them (lev? Bya? Bnos Yisroel?)
Also how does that work... would I tell masores I’m thinking of switching. And then what if I don’t?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:30 am
Who did she play with last year? They can still have play dates even if they are in different classes. Ask the teacher for names of children she plays with at school/suggestions of whom to invite. You can make Sunday play dates with the girls that live far. Ask your daughter what she did at recess (casual conversation) and who else was there. Give it some time because the school year just started and the kids need to adjust to the new class dynamic and get to know each other.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:15 am
If she seems happy and plays in school and it doesn't seem like the kids are snubbing her, then maybe giving some social skills can help. get a class list and give 2 names for her to choose. She's still young I wouldn't rush to switch schools if she's happy the kids like her she just might need some skills to make more 1 on 1 friends it can then be the same in any school. If she seems unhappy or unliked that's something else

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:43 am
If you are geographically challenged to the class- where do kids in your neighborhood mostly go to school? Are you okay with your daughter not having play dates on shabbos? In terms of forming friendships I would aggressively make play dates for Sunday’s and other off days. It is still very early in the year and some kids don’t form strong friendships till 2nd and 3rd grade.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s in masores and seems happy but doesn’t have any real friends. When I ask who she wants to invite for a play date she has no suggestions. She doesn’t get invited either. Her teachers say she gets along with her classmates. Since the classes were mixed up this year there are only 2 girls close enough for a shabbos play date.
My next daughters going into kindergarten next year and I’m wondering if I should apply somewhere else for both of them (lev? Bya? Bnos Yisroel?)
Also how does that work... would I tell masores I’m thinking of switching. And then what if I don’t?

Maybe you could watch Dr Joel Shaul's youtube on social skills with your daughter
It is very, very helpful for regular children who are not on the spectrum. There might be a small glitch that is keeping your daughter from making friends.
I have a grown daughter who only succeeded in making close friends once she went to an overseas trip after 12th grade. Through grade school she was in a social skills group which helped her immensely. She was comfortable in a group setting, appropriate socially, despite her not making close friends.
Today she is married and her everyone around her loves her including her mother-in-law!

ddmom

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:20 pm
Ask the teacher to look out for who she plays with at recess, who does she talk to...ask specific questions. Tell her you're concerned for her social dev. and you would like to invite playdates.
The school year just started so it's normal that your daughter doesn't have "best friends" yet! Unless there's major things about the school that you don't like, it's a little early to think about switching!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics