Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cutting fruit in advance

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:38 pm
Please help me. With G-d's help we're making a simcha this week and I'm trying to get organized.

- How early can I prepare a fruit platter for Shabbos?
- I need cubed apple for a salad, how do I keep it from getting brown if I prepare it a few hours earlier?

May you be blessed with simchos in your own life soon.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please help me. With G-d's help we're making a simcha this week and I'm trying to get organized.

- I need cubed apple for a salad, how do I keep it from getting brown if I prepare it a few hours earlier?

Cut in advance and store in container with some apples juice or orange juice or similar.

Yummymummy3

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:24 pm
What fruits are you putting on the platter?
Most fruits are fine to be put on a platter a day before.
I personally wouldn't cut the apple in advance unless its going to be mixed into the salad. Lemon juice stops apples from browning.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:32 pm
Thanks! I guess I'll leave the fruit platter for Friday morning then.

I can't actually cut the apples in the middle of the simcha. They will be mixed in a salad. Should I keep the cubed apple in the jar of salad dressing until the rest is mixed in right before serving?

Yummymummy3

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:40 pm
U could do the platter thu eve if u really need to but I'd do it Fri morn if I were u. If u want them to be the freshest then cut on Friday and refrigerate the fruits separately, platter on shabbos.
If apple is mixed into the salad in advance then I don't think it goes brown but not sure about that one.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:50 pm
Yummymummy3 wrote:
U could do the platter thu eve if u really need to but I'd do it Fri morn if I were u. If u want them to be the freshest then cut on Friday and refrigerate the fruits separately, platter on shabbos.
If apple is mixed into the salad in advance then I don't think it goes brown but not sure about that one.

I won't be able to do it Thur eve so I guess we'll have to manage somehow on Friday. It should be okay. I'd like to prepare the salad components in advance though, but only assemble right before serving. If I mix apple, mango and pomegranate in a container, will that prevent the apple from getting brown?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:52 pm
How about if I keep the cubed apples in a bowl of water? That should help, right? But will it affect the texture?

Yummymummy3

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:55 pm
I avoid using apple in my platters and salads for this reason so can't advise you on best way for apple. Sorry.
Preparing fruit in advance and then assembling is win win. Saves fridge space too.
Mazal tov. Enjoy it all.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:25 pm
Mazel tov on your Simcha!
You can prepare the fruit for the fruit platter on Thursday but keep all the different types of fruit separate until right before you want to serve them- that’s when they start to get mushy, in my experience.
Cut the apple and mix with fresh lemon juice, keep in a ziploc bag til you want to serve it.
Buy an additional apple so I’m case the lemon one turns brown you can quickly cut a fresh one if you have to.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:28 pm
Thanks Pewter. I'm going to prepare a jar of salad dressing, do you think I can keep the apples in the dressing or will they get super soggy?

Yummymummy3

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:30 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Mazel tov on your Simcha!
You can prepare the fruit for the fruit platter on Thursday but keep all the different types of fruit separate until right before you want to serve them- that’s when they start to get mushy, in my experience.
Cut the apple and mix with fresh lemon juice, keep in a ziploc bag til you want to serve it.
Buy an additional apple so I’m case the lemon one turns brown you can quickly cut a fresh one if you have to.

Good idea re the apple. Have u ever tried it?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Peel the melons on Thursday. Slice on Friday. Keep each fruit separately packed air tight.
For apples to last a few hours, toss with enough lemon juice though it might still discolor just a drop.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:37 pm
Thanks. Let's hope the dressing will get rid of the strong lemon flavor. I imagine slight discoloration will go unnoticed once it's all combined.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen