Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone moved to Toms River and not happy there
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:13 pm
Eveyone is making it sound like the move to Toms River is the best thing since sliced bread . They talk about how their big house is amazing and how their so much happier . I was wondering if anyone moved and is unhappy .

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:16 pm
Moved from where?

Brooklyn? Lakewood?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Eveyone is making it sound like the move to Toms River is the best thing since sliced bread . They talk about how their big house is amazing and how their so much happier . I was wondering if anyone moved and is unhappy .

My sister-in-law's brother would move back to B.P. anytime.
The big house and the interior decorating is too much for him.
He also likes the crowd in B.P.

Another one of my husband's friends says that life is more expensive there.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:18 pm
I don't know if you'll get anyone to admit it, but I believe there are probably quite a number of people there who erred by underestimating the expenses of maintaining the big houses/properties.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:19 pm
Yes- I have some friends that did not realize how much maintaining their houses and properties would cost them .

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:34 pm
(The realtors tend to downplay the tremendous property taxes and utilities on these homes - like 4000 mortgage can be doable. But the surprise 1000 + in taxes is a killer )

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:35 pm
cnc wrote:
Yes- I have some friends that did not realize how much maintaining their houses and properties would cost them .

We used to go away every weekend in the summer because we couldn't bear the depressing city summers and are not bungalow type people.
Since we moved to TR we have zero desire to go away. I feel like I'm on vacation every day.
Property maintenance and pool costs are waaaay cheaper than how much our weekends away used to cost us (and we did cheap getaways like hyatt house etc...).

There are for sure people who are unhappy. They don't hide it either. Everyone has so many different factors that contribute to their happiness.

You need to make your own cheshbon.

Are you looking for reasons people are unhappy?
*Very close with family in the city and here they have no one.
*Kids don't have their age neighbors on their cul de sac.
*Afraid of the quiet.
*Husband's commute turns him into a shabbos Totty.
*Not being allowed to drive because of kids school.
*Special needs child and can't get same services as in Brooklyn.
These are some reasons I've heard from people.

For most people that were living in shoeboxes till they moved the benefits outweigh the faults.

Then there are some that their unhappiness stems from within and no matter where they'll be, they'll be unhappy.

None of the above reasons apply to us b"h and yes moving has been the next best thing to sliced bread (or better lol).

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:38 pm
This is scaring me!!! I am in contract to move to Toms River in about a month.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
(The realtors tend to downplay the tremendous property taxes and utilities on these homes - like 4000 mortgage can be doable. But the surprise 1000 + in taxes is a killer )

You gotta use your own brains. Every listing has the property tax clearly listed. When you put the numbers into a mortgage calculator (which I'd assume anyone looking to buy will do) you include the property tax. It's not a surprise.

Utilities costs us almost the same as in our Boro Park house. We used to pay about $250 in the summer and now we paid just over $300. This is including a running pool filter.
We don't pay for water here. In Boro Park we did and it was a lot!

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
We used to go away every weekend in the summer because we couldn't bear the depressing city summers and are not bungalow type people.
Since we moved to TR we have zero desire to go away. I feel like I'm on vacation every day.
Property maintenance and pool costs are waaaay cheaper than how much our weekends away used to cost us (and we did cheap getaways like hyatt house etc...).

There are for sure people who are unhappy. They don't hide it either. Everyone has so many different factors that contribute to their happiness.

You need to make your own cheshbon.

Are you looking for reasons people are unhappy?
*Very close with family in the city and here they have no one.
*Kids don't have their age neighbors on their cul de sac.
*Afraid of the quiet.
*Husband's commute turns him into a shabbos Totty.
*Not being allowed to drive because of kids school.
*Special needs child and can't get same services as in Brooklyn.
These are some reasons I've heard from people.

For most people that were living in shoeboxes till they moved the benefits outweigh the faults.

Then there are some that their unhappiness stems from within and no matter where they'll be, they'll be unhappy.

None of the above reasons apply to us b"h and yes moving has been the next best thing to sliced bread (or better lol).

That’s very nice that monetarily it came out worthwhile for you. There are people however that don’t have extra money for these unexpected expenses and simply didn’t budget for it. It’s a problem .

ntm1

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:41 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

Which part is scaring you? I'm guessing you looked into where you are buying?!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:43 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

What exactly is scaring you? Have you done your numbers? Do you drive? Do you know anyone within a 10 minute driving distance of where you're moving to (not necessarily family)?
Are your kids accepted in cheder or school?

We love it here! The neighbors are super friendly and have become like family to us.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:44 pm
Taxes
Lawn care
Pool care
Heating/cooling big house
General house home repairs all add ip

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:47 pm
cnc wrote:
That’s very nice that monetarily it came out worthwhile for you. There are people however that don’t have extra money for these unexpected expenses and simply didn’t budget for it. It’s a problem .

Ok so they need to do their research a little better.
Before we bought we asked people living here what their approximate utilities costs are, what their maintenance costs are and the likes. We factored that into our budget.

A lot of maintenance can be done on your own and you don't need to pay for it.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:47 pm
My friend who moved from a shoebox Brooklyn apartment to Toms River said she and her younger children adjusted well. Her older children did not, and so she is back in Brooklyn at least until they graduate high school. She said she wishes someone would have warned them about how difficult some older girls find it.

sub

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:49 pm
There are houses there for 450k and under. They are not mansions with high ceilings and open floor plans. They are simple colonials or ranch. The mortgage tax and utilities are the same as a 3 bedroom rental in boro park. (And you’re paying towards your own house, not a landlord) If you sit down and do the math - what you can afford,what are actual expenses, what is your income and do you have money for emergencies and don’t get blinded by the mansions( which have higher upkeep expenses) then it’s pretty much doable and worth it. The main problems are : 1) must have a car and drive everywhere 2) very quiet 3) not all areas have enough company for children to play with

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:49 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
My friend who moved from a shoebox Brooklyn apartment to Toms River said she and her younger children adjusted well. Her older children did not, and so she is back in Brooklyn at least until they graduate high school. She said she wishes someone would have warned them about how difficult some older girls find it.

Yes that I agree with. Older children adjust much harder. They don't have the same independence they did in Brooklyn. Especially the girls.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:55 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Ok so they need to do their research a little better.
Before we bought we asked people living here what their approximate utilities costs are, what their maintenance costs are and the likes. We factored that into our budget.

A lot of maintenance can be done on your own and you don't need to pay for it.

Yes- I completely agree.
I say that it was irresponsible to move without doing that legwork and figuring out how much the “unexpected expenses” would cost. Because they’re unexpected to them , but they’re actually quite predictable if they would have asked the previous owners to see their bills etc.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:57 pm
There are so many different areas in TR. You have to know what ur needs are, and what you can afford. If. You do it properly there will be no surprises. We moved 2 years ago and have been very happy. My kids are all very happy and we have everything we need here. I'm sure if people don't do research and just jump on things they won't be happy and will be let down.

Emotional

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:02 pm
Is it possible the teenage girls are unhappy because they're unaccustomed to the Lakewood school system? (Assuming they got in somewhere?)

Separate question - does every house in Toms River come with a pool?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating