Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone moved from Brooklyn to Staten island and is not happy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:14 pm
Also, Boro Park had those Jewish clothing stores that sell hats or pants or tzitzis, or robes or tichels for cheap

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:28 pm
We were actually very strongly considering moving to SI, we looked at houses...
But realized how $$$ transportation is , that we ended up moving to Lakewood..

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:24 pm
So we are looking into it as well and took all expenses into consideration...its the closest option to be near bp if you dont want to go far.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:41 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
So we are looking into it as well and took all expenses into consideration...its the closest option to be near bp if you dont want to go far.

For chasidim, Linden is close to SI and houses are more affordable there.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:46 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
For chasidim, Linden close to SI and houses are more affordable there.

And thats at least 40 min from bp...
SI is closest to bp and bp prices are crazy to rent or buy so that was our next best option.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:51 pm
For chasidim, Linden close to SI and houses are more affordable there.

You’re paying double tolls from linden (2 bridges)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:54 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
You all make good points.
For me personally this move was hard because I lost my independence. Transportation is a big monthly expense. We didn't know it would become even more expensive.

Let's take the shuttle issue:
A membership is $150 a month per card or $400 a family with a minimum of 4 or 5 cards. This extra $150 is hard to come by when only 3 kids need to use it.

Bussing for my kids who aren't old enough to use the shuttle is $140 per kid

In bp transportation was free and I didn't need to use any bus to get anywhere because all major avenues were nearby.

Also a major hangup I was mad about, Nobody bothered telling us that the school bus doesn't go into Westerleigh. We were specifically looking there because houses were more or less in the price range we could afford. By chance someone mentioned that the buses don't go past South Gannon. So we did end up davka looking in Willowbrook so the little ones wouldn't have to walk too far for their bus.

Owning a home is a massive expense. We were not totally prepared for the expenses that come along with it, heating, cooling, etc etc.

My advice to anyone looking to move here is do your homework. Keep checking the numbers if you can make it work. If you plan on buying a home, ask the owners if you can see their heating and cooling and water bills to see if you can afford it.

Good luck to all!

Amother, I cant pm you if both of us are anonymous Laugh

Edited to add:
The grocery here is expensive and they don't always carry what you need. The major bp grocery stores deliver but I find it a hassle. Gourmet glatt delivers late at night
Breadberry delivers at a reasonable hour but they're mighty expensive
KRM does not honor their specials if you don't shop in store as opposed to calling or emailing order
Goldberg's and Mega53 also deliver

I live in BP, so maybe it's different, but did you try? In my experience, they usually do honor the specials even though they claim they don't.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

Do you or your husband commute to Brooklyn for your job(s)?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:02 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
You’re paying double tolls from linden (2 bridges)

I believe their shuttle bus to BP is free-including transportation to BP schools and yeshivas.
And houses there are half the price compared to SI.
There are also Jewish-owned companies and job opportunities in the surrounding areas.
My friend found a well-paying job in a company located in NJ.

tf

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:04 pm

Why does it need to be close to BP? There are other chasidish neighborhoods with all chasidish services.

professor

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 7:59 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

I was seriously (still am) considering SI but prices are no metzia

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:12 pm
professor wrote:
I was seriously (still am) considering SI but prices are no metzia

Depends where your coming from. In bp u can either get a condo for 850 plus...
In si u get a house and think about if you take a 2fam house u get a income as well. Mortgage would be cheaper then bp rent.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:09 pm
I live in si (around the corner from pollacks) and find the houses so small, which houses are you referring to?
The ones in Willowbrook have only 3 bedrooms upstairs? And dining living kitchen together? What do you mean when you say big houses and greenery?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 9:57 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I live in SI about 2 years.
Love the grass, serenity, community, kids friends, cheaper rent.

Hate the inconvenience and expense of constant travel, for myself and kids.
Also don’t like that this will never be a real city. We’ll always rely on Brooklyn for shopping and school.

My kids love it here but absolutely despise leaving to school so early, (missing a bus is a whole issue), and traveling a lot.

Wait who said that? Didn't Boro park used to be relying on Williamsburg? Why can't SI become Boro park just like BP became willy

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 10:36 pm
For the record these are the local jewish stores:
Kids clothing store(Styland)
Ladies clothing store(RicRac)
Hosiery store(Hosiery Island)
Grocery (not always fully stocked but doing a lot better lately)
Barber
Butcher(Payless glatt)10 minute drive

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 10:46 pm
Linden is best of both worlds
Equidistant to BP and Lakewood

professor

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:57 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Depends where your coming from. In bp u can either get a condo for 850 plus...
In si u get a house and think about if you take a 2fam house u get a income as well. Mortgage would be cheaper then bp rent.

But many times the condo is bigger and newer and more well designed than a detached house.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:49 pm
Hi OP! Back to your original post. You need to remember "kol haschalos kashos". We moved to SI about 2 years ago. Just be informed that the houses here are TINY and mostly quite expensive. If you're coming from BP in a building nd one bathroom it may seem large but these are NOT houses that can accommodate large families. That's number one!

If you decide that indeed you would like to own here, be aware of the difficulties of not having neighbors. We moved from a fabulous block in Brooklyn and before that from yerushalayim so this was a shocker!

Undesputably the biggest challenge will be transportation. If you do not send to the big kehillas here of skver, belz or Ger and recently bobov45 and bybp you are basically left to your own devices. Paying a fortune for bussing that is at best getting your kids home 1.5 hours after dismissal and leaving 1.5 hours before school starts in the am due to the many schools using the same transportation. It is a nightmare! Also if you both work in BP just get two cars it's mighty expensive but it's definitely worth it! Was a game changer for us.

On the other hand I'd never live in BP. (Never really did, just for a certain short time between our years in Israel and SI) it's quiet and peaceful and there's parking and no traffic. I find BP suffocating and stifling.

So that's the truth. Honestly if you can do lkwd or Monsey do that! Will be much easier...loads of hatzlacha!

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:55 pm

If you think bussing for kids is bad from SI, imagine how bad it is from Linden. I've heard stories about parents from Linden having to change their children's schools because the bussing to the Linden hotspot in BP was too difficult.

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 1:13 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Linden is best of both worlds
Equidistant to BP and Lakewood

Till they don't have a school and yeshiva it is harder. The school started this year with a nursery.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating