Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Nice wedding gift for secular Israeli couple

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:28 am
They've been married a few months, unfortunately we were unable to attend the wedding. But now she is visiting us in the States, and and we'd like to gift them with something nice.
They are secular Israelis, in a comfortable lifestyle. I don't know their personal taste at all - just that she's pretty hip.
It will be meaningful and very important for us to give them a gift at this opportunity. I also need to be able to pick it up in the next day or two - no time for deliveries.
I think a check will be awkward in this particular situation.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Rappel

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:31 am
Hm. Most Israelis give cash as a wedding gift. Just get them a very nice friendship gift, and a card wishing them congratulations, if cash would make you feel uncomfortable.

There's no challah board/napkin holder standard in Israel.

banana123

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:33 am
Most Israelis get checks for gifts at their weddings.
200-400 NIS.
I don't think it would be awkward to give them a check, but it may cost them a lot to cash it. You coul give them the cash an say "I wanted to give you a wedding present but didn't want you to have to pay the fees to cash a check, so I'm giving you the equivalent in cash."
I think they will appreciate it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:36 am
The cash is awkward because her father recently gifted us a huge amount of cash. What we can give feels so insignificant and meaningless based upon her background.
ETA that I would certainly be very generous with the gift, but a check of a few hundred just feels a bit odd here.

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:37 am
I have no idea what to get. Just keep in mind it shouldn't be something too big or heavy or delicate unless you know for certain there is room in luggage.

Also. Maybe consider looking Amazon for trendy/hip/insert adjective of your choice/ wedding gift ... Lots of two day shipping options

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:41 am
singleagain wrote:
I have no idea what to get. Just keep in mind it shouldn't be something too big or heavy or delicate unless you know for certain there is room in luggage.

Also. Maybe consider looking Amazon for trendy/hip/insert adjective of your choice/ wedding gift ... Lots of two day shipping options

Thanks,
with weekend coming, it will take too long.

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:42 am
Maybe some artistic type of menorah or other Judaic item. Even if they don't use it, just for display.
Maybe you can take them out for dinner in a nice restaurant & pay the bill.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:44 am
If cash isn't an option. Maybe candlesticks (I know big and bullky so maybe have them shipped to Israel or buy from Israeli website) or any other basic judaica (chanuka menorah kidduah cup just funny to buy those in the US for an Israeli couple).

banana123

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The cash is awkward because her father recently gifted us a huge amount of cash. What we can give feels so insignificant and meaningless based upon her background.
ETA that I would certainly be very generous with the gift, but a check of a few hundred just feels a bit odd here.

Gift card for Hatzorfim? Looks like you can do it online.

https://hazorfim.co.il/he/gift-card.html

Or a very nice dish/ silver piece (not Judaica-related). Or a wall hanging. Really good pots, or sheets (good sheets are crazy expensive here).

Plane tickets for a vacation in Europe.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 2:26 am
Funky placemats with cloth napkins and napkin rings. That's easy to find at a store and easy to transport back.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:43 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Funky placemats with cloth napkins and napkin rings. That's easy to find at a store and easy to transport back.

Thank you that was a great idea.
Wrapped it up nicely , AND gave a cash gift (thanks above for all the advice!).
This way there was more meaning to the gift (which I felt we needed in this situation), but she also go something to use the way she wants.
I felt that it went over very well.

Thank you all for your help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics