Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Ideal Shabbos Candles

What kind of candle or oil is ideal for Shabbos Candles?
Candles, paraffin wax  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Candles, beeswax  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Candles, soy wax/palm wax  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Oil, olive  
 70%  [ 33 ]
Oil, paraffin  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Other candles  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other oil  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 47

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:49 am
What do you consider the ideal Shabbos candles to be? Actual candles, or some kind of oil, and which specific type of candles or oil?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 2:06 am
My dh is addicted to the IKEA candles!
They burn beautifully, don't drip, and don't stick to any surface, like candlesticks, tray etc.
They're expensive, but we buy them lichvod Shabbos

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 2:52 am
Halachically speaking olive oil is the most mehudar option.

Personally, I use the solid paraffin candles that you put in a little glass cup, which burn for six hours. I add olive oil, up to between ⅓ to ½ of the cup, so they have enough fuel to burn until it gets light. In a very small apartment where people regularly fall asleep on the couch and wake up after the lights go out, or get up very early in the morning, it is nice to see those candles glowing through night, and even nicer to be able to utilize the light to see your way around.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 5:52 am
Tea lights or regular candles

teachkids

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 6:29 am
I've learned olive oil is best but I use parrifin candles because I don't have the time to fill oil on erev shabbos.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 6:30 am
Olive oil. And it’s much easier to clean then melted wax.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 9:11 am
I use pomace olive oil, since it’s pretty cheap
$6 for the huge Can.
Is it still considered mehudar?

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 9:17 am
Elfrida wrote:
Halachically speaking olive oil is the most mehudar option.

Personally, I use the solid paraffin candles that you put in a little glass cup, which burn for six hours. I add olive oil, up to between ⅓ to ½ of the cup, so they have enough fuel to burn until it gets light. In a very small apartment where people regularly fall asleep on the couch and wake up after the lights go out, or get up very early in the morning, it is nice to see those candles glowing through night, and even nicer to be able to utilize the light to see your way around.

Wow!
My husband won't go to sleep until the candles are out. During the summer I need to make sure that the candles don't burn too long.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:05 am
wow!! there's no way I could remain up to see the candles burn. Buy tea lights and light as early as permissable

flmommy

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:16 pm
I use tea lights though I honestly never thought about what was mehudar. I like that they are neat.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 10:00 pm
olive oil is the most mehudar, and there are olive oil candles available - they are like 'neronim', just green in colour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note