Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Training in new cleaning lady
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 2:07 am
Help! How do I set up a weekly cleaning schedule for my lady?
I would like to write up a clear list for her to follow
How do I teach her how and what to clean?
I have 2 floors, 3 bathrooms, want get to do all laundry and cleaning done. She comes 3 days for 6 hours
I have no littke kids at home

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 2:27 am
Do you mean 2h 3x per week or 6h 3x /week (for at total of 18h)?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 7:48 am
Mine washes up entire house, and washes all laundry on Mon. On Tuesday folds & irons all laundry. Thursday washes up entire house again.

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 7:57 am
You can find lists online and tweak them to adapt them to your life. Martha Stewart has some lists.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 8:51 am
The first time you need to actually clean with her and let her know that shortcuts are not acceptable.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 4:19 pm
Why do people say training in a cleaning lady? It sounds very degrading. I think it would be more appropriate to say showing her what to do.
I also find it very inappropriate the way some people (not the OP, just generalizing from what I personally have seen or heard) treat their cleaning help like garbage. There are some if not most who treat a cleaning woman like a human and others who treat them badly.
Im sorry for hijacking your thread.
Just wanted to say my piece since it's almost shabbos.
Hope you forgive me

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 4:24 pm
training in on the job what's wrong with that? weren't you trained in as an employee at your job?

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 4:29 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Why do people say training in a cleaning lady? It sounds very degrading. I think it would be more appropriate to say showing her what to do.
I also find it very inappropriate the way some people (not the OP, just generalizing from what I personally have seen or heard) treat their cleaning help like garbage. There are some if not most who treat a cleaning woman like a human and others who treat them badly.
Im sorry for hijacking your thread.
Just wanted to say my piece since it's almost shabbos.
Hope you forgive me

Yep! Start another one!!
There's nothing degrading about training a cleaning lady! Some of them never cleaned before they got to your house!
I agree they have to be treated well but it has nothing to do with op!!

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 4:35 pm
dankbar wrote:
training in on the job what's wrong with that? weren't you trained in as an employee at your job?

Maybe she is objecting to the phrase "training in". I never heard it used outside the frum world. It is a strange phrase.

You are training someone to do a job. You aren't training in someone.

In any event, very new cleaning lady must be shown how your kitchen operates at a minimum.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 4:45 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Yep! Start another one!!
There's nothing degrading about training a cleaning lady! Some of them never cleaned before they got to your house!
I agree they have to be treated well but it has nothing to do with op!!

Really?

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 5:02 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Really?

I’m going to have to agree with this... some cleaning ladies are coming straight from guatamala we’re they’re job may have been likely picking potatoes out of the earth ( my cleaning ladies job before coming to the states)

tf

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 3:19 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Really?

Yes! Really! Some come and don't know how to use a broom or mop. Or Windex. Or that beds need linen. Some need to be trained to do those things. Yes. They need to be trained. Like any new job. Like any new action anyone does. It's not degrading to learn a new skill.

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:17 am
tf wrote:
Yes! Really! Some come and don't know how to use a broom or mop. Or Windex. Or that beds need linen. Some need to be trained to do those things. Yes. They need to be trained. Like any new job. Like any new action anyone does. It's not degrading to learn a new skill.

They don't know how to properly use running water. I see this with a lot of them from Hatians to central Americans. They splash the water on the object they are cleaning instead of using the stream that comes out of the facet. This annoys me because it takes so much longer to do the job.

They don't know about mirror rot or the right side of a sponge to clean with. They have to be taught about streaks. I had one that ruined the finish of all my painted doors. No one asked her to clean them. I had another one that scratched all my stainless appliances. They are too ignorant to see they are damaging things, so they continue and damage them all. I had another one that needed glasses which I provided.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:22 am
I bet these potato pickers cleaned their home

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:04 am
Ruchel wrote:

Not the way a Hungarian balabuste would like her home cleaned.
Also they might have lived in a hut, how would they know how to polish a chandelier?

The ones that are good either come from Europe where they had the same standards for their houses or cleaned by many Jewish ladies before & learned on the job, all the tricks of the trade

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:07 am
Op
Firstly I didn’t mean to upset anybody
I guess what I’m looking for a a cleaning schedule to write up together with my lady for 3 days 6 hours a day
Thank you

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:13 am
I had one cleaning lady put the fresh duvet cover on top of the old one, when I asked her to change the linen, & told her this one needs to go on & other off.
I once told the cleaning lady to first wash the blech & then the shades, what she did was hang the blech onto the shades.
One came that had no idea what she was supposed to do when I buzzed the door back for her, or even how to open the sink. She was from Russia never saw any running water etc.

They mostly don't even know a word of English when they arrive off the boat, from another country, so it's very hard to communicate.

If they would know English, they would get a better job than cleaning people's houses

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:21 am
I had my lady fold my skirts instead of hang them up & pile my freshly done wigs one on top of the other. How would they know such things if they don't use them.

Also everyone likes things done differently, so they should be shown how you prefer it to be done.
Some like thorough deep cleaning, some faster & not deep.
Some people will use Mr clean, Murphy & pledge, some prefer plain water on their hardwood floors or a natural detergents.
Fancy furniture, cabinets have their special care needs instead of pouring tons of water on it....

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:26 am
Ruchel wrote:

They don't have the same standards with germs. How would they learn these things?

Another thing they aren't use to is food safety. They have not been educated. They need to be taught to wash their hands before touching anything in the kitchen. They don't know this basic. That don't know can openers. I have had tips of several expensive knives ruined because they punch cans open with them.

My cleaning lady was cleaning the toilet in my bedroom Friday She closed my bedroom door using the same gloves she was cleaning my toilet with. I stress that the cleaning gloves must be discarded before leaving the bathrooms. I can't have toilet germs on my doorknobs.

They live in overcrowded homes with other people from third world countries when they come here. They need to be taught first world standards.

I often teach them how to use tissues. I am not kidding about this. They will wipe snot with their fingers and continue to do their tasks. I have seen this across the board. I had a Haitian nanny who picked her nose and continued with food prep for my kids. It was revolting.

I am not saying that there aren't frum people who are also hygiene challenged, but they aren't cleaning my house.

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op
Firstly I didn’t mean to upset anybody
I guess what I’m looking for a a cleaning schedule to write up together with my lady for 3 days 6 hours a day
Thank you

There's a lot of variables for your schedule.

What 3 days do you have? Is it Mon, Wed, Fri? What hours?

When do you cook Shabbos? Do you used your cleaning lady for kitchen prep?

How many toilets?

How many bedrooms?

How big is your house?

Do you have little kids?

Is your house picked up? Or will the cleaning lady be organizing also?

Is your cleaning lady doing wash?

Do you have plants that need tending?

Do you have a lot of intricate work?

The schedule will be different depending on your needs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry