Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which Food staple wasn't around when you were a kid
1  2  3  Next

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:27 am
As I was enjoying my wrap yesterday I realized that it wasn't even in existence when I was a kid, and was wondering what other food staples in your life was not around when you grew up??

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:30 am
Sesame oil
Sushi rice
Kani
Wasabi powder
Prechecked fresh veggies
Flaky dough squares (you had to cut your own out of a big piece of dough)
Greek yogurt

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:32 am
Kale, quinoa, ready made gnocchi, well.. Everything ready made! (breaded eggplant and cauliflower!)

But the foods that we DID have were awesome! Nougat roll anyone? What I wouldn't do...

superstar

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:32 am
instant yeast!

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:33 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Kale, quinoa, ready made gnocchi, well.. Everything ready made! (breaded eggplant and cauliflower!)

But the foods that we DID have were awesome! Nougat roll anyone? What I wouldn't do...
yes! My favorite!

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:47 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:

definitely quinoa!! what a great food.

dee's mommy

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:59 am
The following either weren't around when I was a child, or they were, and my parents just didn't buy them. I encountered them the first time as an adult. (also, they are not all staples for me now, but are either now, or were at sometime in the past.)

quinoa
cous cous
avocados
fresh mint (I think this is just a case of my parents never buying it, where I do as an adult.)
plant based milks (soy, almond, cashew, coconut, oat, etc.)
tofu
alternative flours such as almond, coconut, chickpea, rice
alternative sweeteners such as stevia, monkfruit, coconut sugar, etc
nutritional yeast
cashews (not that we didn't have these, but I am using them now as ingredients in the most unlikely things.)
spices such as curry powder, cumin, turmeric, saffron
aquafaba

Last edited by dee's mommy on Fri, Oct 25 2019, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 11:01 am
Tootsie rolls! They became kosher when I was 10

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 11:10 am
A lot of these foods were around just not kosher or not popular in the West. I remember when Kosher sushi became popular and then how it suddenly became a staple at weddings. I also feel like frozen yogurt is relatively new

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 11:54 am
Yah, we had sushi at our engagement, it was newfangled and a status sign (I don't like sushi, didn't choose to have it but bh there were many classic stuff). That was only like 14 yrs ago

keym

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 11:58 am
A lot of these are based on community. I grew up with frozen yogurt.
Avocados were around but no one knew what to do with it.
On the other hand, I must have been 8 or so, and we got 5 whole coconuts for shalach Manos one year. I don't see those as much anymore.
I actually remember the news reports when PAM came in. I wrote a current events wrote up about this magic spray that can grease pans like oil or margarine but no fat or calories or whatever.
And of course the candy industry particularly the sour gross stuff. I remember when sour sticks came to the kosher supermarkets.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:08 pm
I had avocado growing up. I remember that’s what my mother sent me for lunch to the babysitter . But in those days nobody made guacamole. It was plain sliced avocado. We are talking 36 years ago.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:21 pm
I remember when kiwi fruits were a special shechianu fruit for RH.
M&Ms (for those of us not CY) only became kosher when I was in HS. How did my mom toilet train is?!?

At least I didn't have to walk the chicken to the shochet on a leash like my MIL did. But I do remember my mom salting and soaking the meat herself in the kitchen and chicken came on bones, not as nice cutlets in plastic packages.

goforit

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:23 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:

I have a very good simple recipe for it. Message me if u want

giselle

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:33 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
yes! My favorite!

And chew chews!

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:36 pm
Kosher white bread!! Growing up, my mother used to go to the kosher bakery, buy challah, and have them put it through the bread slicing machine. I remember the first time I ever saw a bag of kosher sliced white bread at the store, I thought it meant Moshiach had arrived.

Also, kosher oreos (and as per the OU, many of them are actually pareve!). ! I also remember when Rosie O'Donnell gave them away on her show to celebrate their new kosher status! I have to see if I can find that youtube clip!

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:40 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I had avocado growing up. I remember that’s what my mother sent me for lunch to the babysitter . But in those days nobody made guacamole. It was plain sliced avocado. We are talking 36 years ago.

I am 38. Avocado was a huge treat when I was a kid! My mother also used to make it for me on a sandwich, and I make it for my kids now, but still as a treat. Just smashed on bread with some salt. It was expensive when I was a kid and its expensive now!

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:45 pm
How about romaine lettuce? It existed, but that was the lettuce everyone used for Pesach for the maror. During the year we only had iceberg lettuce in all of our salads. I can’t even think of using that nowadays.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:54 pm
Mothers often made their own baby formula out of canned condensed milk and Karo syrup. Similac was the only formula on the market when I was born and formula is a staple food for a baby.

giselle

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:01 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Mothers often made their own baby formula out of canned condensed milk and Karo syrup. Similac was the only formula on the market when I was born and formula is a staple food for a baby.

Right my grandmother told me about that Wink
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics