Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken and Pistachio Meatballs with Coriander Tahini

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 3:39 pm
This was a very easy recipe but the ingredients elevated what is essentially a chicken meatball. Very Happy

I have a convection oven so the 200 C converted to 392 F so I just set it at 375 since temperature for meat isn't as critical as for baked items.

Chicken and Pistachio Meatballs with Coriander Tahini

Excerpt From: Spitzer, Emma. “Fress: Bold, Fresh Flavours from a Jewish Kitchen

These chicken meatballs really pack a flavour punch. Quick, simple to prepare and healthy, they need nothing more than some plain rice or a fresh salad to accompany them, making for an easy lunch or dinner.
Serves 6; makes 25 meatballs

For the meatballs

½ onion
100g unsalted pistachio nuts
50g medium matzo meal
handful of tarragon leaves
2 handfuls of coriander, leaves and stalks
2 handfuls of flat leaf parsley, leaves and stalks
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
500g minced chicken
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil

For the coriander tahini

2 large handfuls of coriander leaves
1 garlic clove, crushed
75g tahini
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of sea salt

To serve
steamed rice
seeds from ½ pomegranate
handful of mint leaves, finely chopped

Add all the meatball ingredients except the chicken, egg and oil to a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together; you want a coarse, grainy consistency.

Transfer to a large bowl and add the chicken and the egg, working the mixture together with your hands just until it is combined; you don’t want to overwork it. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, clean out the food processor, then add all the ingredients for the coriander tahini to it and blend. With the motor running, slowly add some water until you have a loose dressing with the consistency of double cream. Transfer to bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.

Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas Mark 7.

Wet your hands and roll the chicken mixture into ping-pong-sized balls. Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the meatballs in a single layer with with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Brush the remaining tablespoon of oil over the top of the meatballs and bake for 15 minutes.

Serve the meatballs on a bed of steamed rice garnished with the pomegranate seeds and the chopped mint, then drizzle the coriander tahini liberally over the top.

Gulabi

Post Sat, Oct 26 2019, 2:00 pm
Oh my gosh these sound amazing! I'm going to make them midweek. Coriander is my absolute favourite herb in the world (my favourite pizza is coriander and green chilli) I'm going to see my granny in India in a cpl of weeks I'll be overdosing on it! All your recipes look so yum, I'm going to spend the next hour or so going through them.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:17 am
ooooo

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:22 am
Putting this at the top of my to-do list. Very Happy

I live for coriander. LIVE!

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:00 am
Coriander leaves (ie.fresh coriander) is called cilantro in the US. The dried seed is called coriander.

There is a genetic element involved in how people taste coriander. A significant percentage of the population tastes coriander as a very bitter unpleasant soapy flavor.

Thankfully I lack this gene :-).

Gulabi

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:03 am
In Hindi and Punjabi we call it dhania

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:05 am
scottishjewgirl wrote:
In Hindi and Punjabi we call it dhania

You are scottish and Indian? That sounds like an interesting cuisine!

Gulabi

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:08 am
Scottish Indian and Jewish! My dad is Indian he is a convert from a Sikh family. And he's a chef!

Gulabi

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 10:14 am
Although technically I'm not very Scottish but was born and went to school for a bit there. Mum's European. I really love Scotland though the people are so friendly and down to earth. I think that about the whole of the UK in general. My parents live in Scotland again now, I'm very close but not Scotland

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 9:56 pm
I forgot to mention that the cookbook author went quite far in the British version of Masterchef with her kosher cooking. I think she placed in the finals. If you google her, there are some interesting interviews with her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey