Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lulav and esrog after chag?

momtra

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:11 am
What do people do with their lulav and esrog after Yom Tov?

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:15 am
Many rabbanim (our included) say that these items have no kedusha after chag and can be thrown out.

We sometimes save our etrog for havdalah bsamim.

mha3484

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:22 am
We burn the lulav with the Chametz erev Pesach.

MommyM

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:34 am
mha3484 wrote:

We do this with our lulav too, and we prepare the esrog to eat for Tu B'shevat.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:34 am
we hang it over the door for good luck

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:37 am
mha3484 wrote:

We do too. Do you know the reason for this?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:39 am
mha3484 wrote:

Same here and together with the remains of the wicks from Chanukka. Saving a leaf from the arava (sgula)
Usually we give the etrog to Rabbanit Kolodetzki (people give them to her to give away etrog peel or jam to expecting mothers, I don't know exactly)
However this year planning to plant the seeds and see if it grows.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:43 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
we hang it over the door for good luck

The whole arabaat haminim or only the etrog? Would love if you could elaborate on this one cause I've never heard of it. Chassidishe minhag or sgula?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 3:51 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
The whole arabaat haminim or only the etrog? Would love if you could elaborate on this one cause I've never heard of it. Chassidishe minhag or sgula?

please bump

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 4:33 pm
Most people in my shul throw them atop the Aron Kodesh where they fester, grow moldy and become both a health hazard and a fire hazard. In the past my dad and now my dh secretly remove them and throw them out.

We used to keep ours atop our bookcase and burn it with the chometz. After getting several nasty puncture wounds from the sharp dried fronds, we now throw them out. Hadasdim we keep in a vase as decoration until they have no smell. Esrog we keep for a while until shriveled and then throw out. Once it’s no longer fit for use (dried out or rotten) there’s no issue with throwing it out. Just because something was used for a mitzvah doesn’t mean it has to be treasured forever. If you can **reasonably** use it, great, but you don’t have to take heroic measures. I once had the idea of learning to weave lulav fronds into baskets to use for MM but I would need way more than a lulav’s worth and there would still be pieces that had to be thrown out.

Does anyone really use old tzitzis for wicks for Chanukah licht? I would think they’d reek something awful as they’re made of wool. Ever smell burning wool? Not hiddur mitzvah at all. And the cotton begged has no inherent kedushah and can be thrown in the trash or better yet into textile recycling if you have such a program in your city.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 5:48 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Most people in my shul throw them atop the Aron Kodesh where they fester, grow moldy and become both a health hazard and a fire hazard. In the past my dad and now my dh secretly remove them and throw them out.

I've seen this done with hoshanot. But I can't rule out the possibility of a minhag I haven't seen to do this with the arba minim. Although I'd think the etrogim would roll off so maybe it's just the other three minim.

Also the hoshanot don't stay there that long. Whoever cleans the shul takes them down.

singleagain

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 6:03 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
We do too. Do you know the reason for this?

My understanding is that bc it was used for a mitzvah it m if it can be reused for a mitzvah it should be.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:08 pm
I just hang the lulav alone over the door

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:26 pm
Those on Team Garbage, literally how do you throw it out? Lulav will not fit in garbage, recycling, or compost bins. This isn't Israel or maybe boro Park where sanitation workers are used to handling palm branches after sukkos.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:26 pm
I put it next to the door across the mezuzah
In the past I use to just leave it there and it always fell
Now I put a tall skinny vase and it stands straight in the corner behind the outside door
Then erev Pesach it’s burnt with the Chametz

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:20 pm
I throw it in the forest behind our house.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 9:52 pm
I don't have a forest... Next? I still have last year's because I didn't figure this out!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics