Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Closets

cherrylover

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:06 pm
My closets have an extremely bad smell! And the. My clothing smell.. What do people use to make it smell better?

real

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:07 pm
plug in air fresheners?

cherrylover

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:21 pm
real wrote:
plug in air fresheners?

Its only my closets that smell. I dont have outlets in them

meme6

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:32 pm
I buy potpourri packets love them!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:36 pm
Hang DampRid bags to absorb moisture. Once water fills up in the bag, replace.
https://www.amazon.com/DampRid.....=8-13

meme6

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hang DampRid bags to absorb moisture. Once water fills up in the bag, replace.
https://www.amazon.com/DampRid.....=8-13

This works great for moisture not the smell though but op should definitely try this

sheindellaya

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:45 pm
meme6 wrote:
I buy potpourri packets love them!!

Not the op but which ones do you use

meme6

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:47 pm
sheindellaya wrote:
Not the op but which ones do you use

Green leaf

They have many scents

ddmom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:52 pm
meme6 wrote:
This works great for moisture not the smell though but op should definitely try this

She first has to figure out why it smells.
Most likely bad smell is from humidity.
Once she gets rid of humidity it might not smell at all!

meme6

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 12:53 pm
ddmom wrote:
She first has to figure out why it smells.
Most likely bad smell is from humidity.
Once she gets rid of humidity it might not smell at all!

That is true also does she have carpet in the closet are the doors vented those are other things to look into. Are the closets overfilled etc

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 2:35 pm
1. First empty the closets of everything. Good opportunity to sort through and get rid of stuff you don’t need or want.
2. Look for signs of dampness, mildew, mold, vermin, rotting organic material in the closet.
3. If found, fix. A hot blow dryer may dry small damp spots, but be aware the spots will return if caused by a leak.
4. Clean thoroughly.
4a. Paint interior of closet if desired,
5. Spray surfaces lightly with diluted white vinegar to which you have added a few drops of essential oil. Lavender is especially good but cedar, clove, bay or eucalyptus will also do. These will all not only provide a nice scent but repel bugs.
6. Let dry completely.
7. Meanwhile, air out the clothing. Let hang in a cool place for several days to weeks if possible. Spray lightly with 1:1 solution of water and white vinegar, rubbing alcohol or vodka. Test on a hidden spot first to make sure it won’t stain or cause color to bleed. Let dry completely.
8. Launder or dry clean anything that still smells bad. Let dry-cleaned items air out for a few days after bringing them home to let the residual solvent dissipate.
9 Return everything to the closet.
10. For maintenance:
A. Don’t overstuff closets. You need air circulation.
B. Leave closet doors open to admit fresh air every so often.
C. Every so often, take out seldom-used items from the back of the closet and air out for a few days.
D. Repeat steps 1,4,7 once a year or so.

It’s all about cleanliness, dryness and fresh air. Virtually everything will develop an unpleasant odor if stored in a dark, airless space for a long time. Don’t even think of putting anything away if it isn’t pristine and Sahara-dry . The least bit of damp will allow mildew to flourish, and the least bit of food residue, body oils or sweat will attract bugs and cause stains and odors.

To promote pleasant scents, place bags of dried whole spices such as cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf; dried flowers such as lavender; blocks of cedar wood or bars of fragrant soap among the things in the closet. Note that these are to repel bugs and add a bit of scent, but they do not eliminate the need for fresh air.

cherrylover

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 4:37 pm
zaq wrote:
1. First empty the closets of everything. Good opportunity to sort through and get rid of stuff you don’t need or want.
2. Look for signs of dampness, mildew, mold, vermin, rotting organic material in the closet.
3. If found, fix. A hot blow dryer may dry small damp spots, but be aware the spots will return if caused by a leak.
4. Clean thoroughly.
4a. Paint interior of closet if desired,
5. Spray surfaces lightly with diluted white vinegar to which you have added a few drops of essential oil. Lavender is especially good but cedar, clove, bay or eucalyptus will also do. These will all not only provide a nice scent but repel bugs.
6. Let dry completely.
7. Meanwhile, air out the clothing. Let hang in a cool place for several days to weeks if possible. Spray lightly with 1:1 solution of water and white vinegar, rubbing alcohol or vodka. Test on a hidden spot first to make sure it won’t stain or cause color to bleed. Let dry completely.
8. Launder or dry clean anything that still smells bad. Let dry-cleaned items air out for a few days after bringing them home to let the residual solvent dissipate.
9 Return everything to the closet.
10. For maintenance:
A. Don’t overstuff closets. You need air circulation.
B. Leave closet doors open to admit fresh air every so often.
C. Every so often, take out seldom-used items from the back of the closet and air out for a few days.
D. Repeat steps 1,4,7 once a year or so.

It’s all about cleanliness, dryness and fresh air. Virtually everything will develop an unpleasant odor if stored in a dark, airless space for a long time. Don’t even think of putting anything away if it isn’t pristine and Sahara-dry . The least bit of damp will allow mildew to flourish, and the least bit of food residue, body oils or sweat will attract bugs and cause stains and odors.

To promote pleasant scents, place bags of dried whole spices such as cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf; dried flowers such as lavender; blocks of cedar wood or bars of fragrant soap among the things in the closet. Note that these are to repel bugs and add a bit of scent, but they do not eliminate the need for fresh air.

This is a process. But I will def try it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics