Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Immersion Blender in Pots?
1  2  Next

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:02 pm
I am hoping to get an immersion blender (or 2) because I would love to make those types of soups that require one. What I’m wondering is for those of you who use immersion blenders, do you do it straight in the pot? I know my friend does and it scratches them so I’m wondering what most people do because it seems annoying to get another thing dirty (like a mixing bowl just for that) but is that how most people do it?

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:03 pm
I do it straight in the pot...never had a problem with scratches. You don’t need to put the blender on the bottom of the pot to use it.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:05 pm
I use mine directly in pots. Even if the bottom of the blender hits the bottom of the pot, it shouldn’t scratch it, and the blade doesn’t touch the bottom of the pot.

m987

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:06 pm
I always use straight in my pots and never had any scratches although I don’t use nonstick pots.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:09 pm
If you buy a good Braun, it won't scratch the pots.
I once bought an off brand and it scratched a brand new pot and also melted in shape.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:14 pm
I have three- you can actually buy coloured ones (green red and blue) ! No scratches with any of them.
I recommend buying one with the best motor you can---I try to get 'professional grade).
Best kitchen gadget! I even use the immersion blender to make salad dressings. It's a great multi-tasker!

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:25 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I have three- you can actually buy coloured ones (green red and blue) ! No scratches with any of them.
I recommend buying one with the best motor you can---I try to get 'professional grade).
Best kitchen gadget! I even use the immersion blender to make salad dressings. It's a great multi-tasker!

Thanks! Which brand do you use?

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you buy a good Braun, it won't scratch the pots.
I once bought an off brand and it scratched a brand new pot and also melted in shape.

Was it the blade of the off brand one that scratched the pot? Can I ask what brand that was? That’s crazy that it melted!

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:27 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
I do it straight in the pot...never had a problem with scratches. You don’t need to put the blender on the bottom of the pot to use it.

Wouldn’t it not blend all the way if you don’t put in the bottom?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:30 pm
jsb wrote:
Wouldn’t it not blend all the way if you don’t put in the bottom?
even if you touched the blender to the bottom of the pot, the blade doesn’t touch the bottom. But regardless the blender stirs and swooshes the contents In the pot so much that you would not need to touch the bottom since it will eventually swirl into the blade on its own. I use my immersion blenders directly in the pots and never had a problem.

rowo

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:36 pm
For sure in the pot. Just not while it’s still on the flame.
Try to get one that it metal around the blades instead of plastic

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:52 pm
jsb wrote:
Was it the blade of the off brand one that scratched the pot? Can I ask what brand that was? That’s crazy that it melted!

I don't remember the brand. I am sure it's not around anymore. The blade of the blender made deep gouges into the pot. The plastic surrounding it melted from the hot soup. This was 13 years ago. I have the Brauns since then and they handle boiling hot soup just fine even the plastic.
I also tried a $35 Cuisinart for pesach a few years ago and it didn't last a year.

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't remember the brand. I am sure it's not around anymore. The blade of the blender made deep gouges into the pot. The plastic surrounding it melted from the hot soup. This was 13 years ago. I have the Brauns since then and they handle boiling hot soup just fine even the plastic.
I also tried a $35 Cuisinart for pesach a few years ago and it didn't last a year.

Wow even a $35 didn’t last! Yikes I was hoping to get like a $15 one especially since I want 2

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 7:58 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
even if you touched the blender to the bottom of the pot, the blade doesn’t touch the bottom. But regardless the blender stirs and swooshes the contents In the pot so much that you would not need to touch the bottom since it will eventually swirl into the blade on its own. I use my immersion blenders directly in the pots and never had a problem.

Okay that makes sense, thanks!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:21 pm
A metal one is much more likely to scratch than a plastic one. The plastic ones of reputable brands, think Bosch etc, are very good.

It is worth investing in a good quality blender - with a high motor, they get the job done much much quicker. Also what helps is making sure your veg is fully softened otherwise you will end up with a more grainy soup.

Oh and some come with a potato ricer for making mashed potato! Don’t use the metal blade to mash your potato’s- it just doesn’t work.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:31 pm
jsb wrote:
Thanks! Which brand do you use?

I just checked: I have two coloured kitchen-aids and one cuisinart. All of them are great (no complaints). My pessachdik is a braun I think (I didn't try to dig it out.... I hope you don't mind Very Happy

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:35 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
A metal one is much more likely to scratch than a plastic one. The plastic ones of reputable brands, think Bosch etc, are very good.

It is worth investing in a good quality blender - with a high motor, they get the job done much much quicker. Also what helps is making sure your veg is fully softened otherwise you will end up with a more grainy soup.

Oh and some come with a potato ricer for making mashed potato! Don’t use the metal blade to mash your potato’s- it just doesn’t work.

Thanks so much! It’s interesting because someone else said the opposite about metal vs plastic. But it’s more intuitive to me to use plastic so it doesn’t scratch.

jsb

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:37 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I just checked: I have two coloured kitchen-aids and one cuisinart. All of them are great (no complaints). My pessachdik is a braun I think (I didn't try to dig it out.... I hope you don't mind Very Happy

Lol I think I can forgive you! How long (approx) have you had the kitchen aid ones? I feel like the quality of that brand has gone down from seeing my own family’s experience with the regular mixer and how long it lasted vs people who had bought them years ago when I think they made them with better, longer lasting materials.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:41 pm
I agree with ra-mom and others: when using the immersion blender, you don't need to touch the bottom of the pot. Simply insert the immersion blender mid-way and move around.

I would buy a metal blade every time.
I've spent between 45$ -70$ CND (depending on the sale price). Keep your eye out but buy the most powerful one you can afford!

pizza4

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 8:50 pm
I had 2 plastic blenders for about 6 years, then my fleishig blender broke down and I bought a cuisinart set. (Comes with mini food processor and a whisk and a tall measuring cup) I just went to check what brand my plastic immersion blender is and it doesn't say on it, so I have no idea. But I have it for 8 years.
The cuisinart one is metal, but haven't had a problem with it scratching pots. I'm careful to keep it from going to the bottom of the pot and it blends perfectly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen